House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustYield

Land: Buying And Selling

One for the real estate experts here:

If I buy residential land and then sell a portion of that land (say half of it) for a profit (pro-rata), what ways are there to legitimately reduce the capital gains tax liability (i.e. increase the cost base of the sold part)? This is not UK specific, but I'd like to hear how it's normally done.

(This is not intended as a Most Boring Thread contender, so ignore if you don't have anything to add. :) Thanks. )

One for the real estate experts here:

If I buy residential land and then sell a portion of that land (say half of it) for a profit (pro-rata), what ways are there to legitimately reduce the capital gains tax liability (i.e. increase the cost base of the sold part)? This is not UK specific, but I'd like to hear how it's normally done.

(This is not intended as a Most Boring Thread contender, so ignore if you don't have anything to add. :) Thanks. )

The longer you keep it the less the CGT is - I think.

The longer you keep it the less the CGT is - I think.

Sure. I'm talking about flipping some land within 12-24 months. So maximum CGT exposure, but I was hoping there is some smart way to differentiate the sold part from the held part in terms of value (the cost base, basically).