House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot

Is Bournemouth Any Good?

If we get some half decent weather over the next few weeks me and the missus fancy popping off to the coast for a couple of days just to walk on a beach and chill out.

As i don't want to spend all day driving I reckon Bournemouth looks about the best bet.

Never been there. Any good for a day or so away or best avoided?

If we get some half decent weather over the next few weeks me and the missus fancy popping off to the coast for a couple of days just to walk on a beach and chill out.

As i don't want to spend all day driving I reckon Bournemouth looks about the best bet.

I've been a couple of times and it's been rather nice. Not for long mind.

It's a bit of a stag/hen haven so might want to avoid the city centres on friday and weekend nights.

Full of prostitutes, probably twice as many as the navy petri-dish that is Portsmouth.

Best spot on the south coast for sun and sand, but stay away from town centre at night unless you seek a rude awakening. The gauge of scum runs east to west, from Boscombe drug wars to Sandbanks "richer than yow" - the values depend on how you define scum. The new surf reef is complete rubbish and a waste of money.

Or try Totnes - smaller and exclusive, no beaches, but a real find - like Winchester, but classier. Getting there by car is an adventure.

Lyme Regis is supposedly a nice spot...Bmth can be full of JP Morgan twerps flashing their cash at night...

Forget Bmth, all the good places/beaches are elsewhere.

Poole harbour is one of the UK's highlights. Parking/traffic is the usual nightmare this time of year.

My partner can tell you where the notorious estates are if you fancy a little worthwhile planet cleansing.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Lyme Regis is supposedly a nice spot...Bmth can be full of JP Morgan twerps flashing their cash at night...

Yep. I like Lyme. It IS a nice spot. Trouble is that you need to be stout of heart and leg to go there, as there as some horrendous hills to climb and descend: Principally the one twixt the front and the main car park on Hill Road...aptly named!

Guest X-QUORK

Once spent a memorable evening with some bootnecks in Poole Harbour. We ended up in a wine bar and the command was given to swamp, so I'm afraid we did. :huh:

Once spent a memorable evening with some bootnecks in Poole Harbour. We ended up in a wine bar and the command was given to swamp, so I'm afraid we did. :huh:

There are some unpleasant suggestions for that in urban dictionary - which one was it?

http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/reference/Slang.htm

Iffy translation for those who never got beyond the Air Training Corps:

X-Quork has a memorable evening with Royal Marines in Poole Harbour. They ended up in a wine bar and the command was given to wet/urinate, so he reluctantly admits they did. :blink:

Guest X-QUORK

There are some unpleasant suggestions for that in urban dictionary - which one was it?

Ermm...none of those. Let's just say the inconvenience of going to the Gents was removed in a trice.

Why not take a step further and come to the Isle of Wight. The choice of beaches is great, and you can even surf. ...Not that we need more tourists!!:o

Drive a bit further and walk the cliffs between Swanage and Durdle Door, there are a couple of nice bays/beaches as well, good snorkeling at this time of year round Kimmeridge, lots of fish.

One of the most beautiful stretches of coast in England, superb wildlife, all preserved by the military. No good if you want to do much in the evening though.

I went for a weekend not long ago only two weeks ago, camping in fact, it was really nice.

As you say, if you've got leg or knee problems or aren't fit, the hills will do for you.

On the plus side though there are car parks dotted around with the cheapest being at the top of the hill (£1 for all day parking) to one of the most expensive (being £3.30 for two hours) in the centre of Lyme near the famous dinosaur high street.

Did you, by jingo.biggrin.gif

Yep. I like Lyme. It IS a nice spot. Trouble is that you need to be stout of heart and leg to go there, as there as some horrendous hills to climb and descend: Principally the one twixt the front and the main car park on Hill Road...aptly named!

I probably haven't been down there for a good 10 to 15 years...I used to go to West Bay more often...That can get stupidly packed

Missus is 6 months pregnant so she wouldn't be up for lots of hillwalking or adventure sports, etc. :)

We're in Solihull and just looking to go somewhere about 3 hours drive away, have a bit of a paddle, hopefully enjoy some sunshine, see some nice scenery, get a nice meal in the evening, stay overnight in a hotel, see a bit more the next day and then off home in the late afternoon.

Thinking of taking a Monday off so we can stay over on the Sunday (easier to find a room at short notice on a sunday it seems) and hopefully avoid the saturday night crazies.

So anything like Isle of Wight, etc is just a bit too much hassle for a couple of days....

Bournemouth seems to fit the bill because of the distance and it has sandy beaches but I know knowthing else about it other than what's on bournemouth.co.uk

What the hell, we'll give a go and report back :-)

Hope it's OK. we are going for a few days next week.

It's the Air Show Thurs-Sun, the beach will be far from chilled out.

Missus is 6 months pregnant so she wouldn't be up for lots of hillwalking or adventure sports, etc. :)

We're in Solihull and just looking to go somewhere about 3 hours drive away, have a bit of a paddle, hopefully enjoy some sunshine, see some nice scenery, get a nice meal in the evening, stay overnight in a hotel, see a bit more the next day and then off home in the late afternoon.

Thinking of taking a Monday off so we can stay over on the Sunday (easier to find a room at short notice on a sunday it seems) and hopefully avoid the saturday night crazies.

So anything like Isle of Wight, etc is just a bit too much hassle for a couple of days....

Bournemouth seems to fit the bill because of the distance and it has sandy beaches but I know knowthing else about it other than what's on bournemouth.co.uk

What the hell, we'll give a go and report back :-)

I'll be on the lookout for a heavily pregnant woman with a brummie accent(?)

If you see a 5'7" leggy dark-haired woman, a 6'2" mousey haired OH, and two whippet thin, mousey haired, kids (one of each), that's us. Youngest will be taking incessantly about Lego, eldest will no doubt be having another strop, and I'll look like I need wine!

Guest X-QUORK

If you see a 5'7" leggy dark-haired woman, a 6'2" mousey haired OH, and two whippet thin, mousey haired, kids (one of each), that's us. Youngest will be taking incessantly about Lego, eldest will no doubt be having another strop, and I'll look like I need wine!

How terribly fit you all sound.

As a local I'm suggesting Hengistbury Head, about 3 miles along from Bournemouth town centre. Walk it along the promenade. View of our risible 'surf reef' on your right, as you leave the Pier; on your left the aspirational and over-priced Honeycombe Beach 'lifestyle' apartments. Try not to notice the £90K Wayne-Hemingway designed pods (7 out of 47 sold, despite twice-reduced). These disasters behind you, all is scenic and harmonious. A mile along lies Boscombe's renovated Pier (free), then open scenery down to Hengistbury Head.

The Head and Mudeford harbour was a major port in pre-Roman times, and now is just a nice, accessible and interesting circular walk of about 45 mins. Takes you past old iron ore diggings, sea birds, great views, small ancient oak forest and Mudeford's fabulously expensive beach huts.

In the car?. Bournemouth town centre to Southbourne, Boscombe, Christchuch direction then signs for Hangistbury Head. 3 miles?

Big cheapish car park on The Head itself.

Enjoy it all, away from the main beach crowds.

We are there again next year for the long bank August bank holiday! smile.gif

What's a year - or three - between friends?biggrin.gif

Cardiac Hill?B)

Hope it's OK. we are going for a few days next week.

It's the Air Show Thurs-Sun, the beach will be far from chilled out.

Oh b u g g e r you're right!

What the hell, it might be fun...

As a local I'm suggesting Hengistbury Head, about 3 miles along from Bournemouth town centre. Walk it along the promenade. View of our risible 'surf reef' on your right, as you leave the Pier; on your left the aspirational and over-priced Honeycombe Beach 'lifestyle' apartments. Try not to notice the £90K Wayne-Hemingway designed pods (7 out of 47 sold, despite twice-reduced). These disasters behind you, all is scenic and harmonious. A mile along lies Boscombe's renovated Pier (free), then open scenery down to Hengistbury Head.

The Head and Mudeford harbour was a major port in pre-Roman times, and now is just a nice, accessible and interesting circular walk of about 45 mins. Takes you past old iron ore diggings, sea birds, great views, small ancient oak forest and Mudeford's fabulously expensive beach huts.

In the car?. Bournemouth town centre to Southbourne, Boscombe, Christchuch direction then signs for Hangistbury Head. 3 miles?

Big cheapish car park on The Head itself.

Enjoy it all, away from the main beach crowds.

hey that sounds good. will give it a go. thanks