House Price Crash Forum

Big Hoilday Firm Collaspes

Mega

HOLA441
HOLA442
Guest Noodle
HOLA443
HOLA444

Wake me up when lastminute or expedia go pop.

Mikey I've never heard of any of these holiday firms.

These firms along with many of the current UK TV advertisers (Go Compare, Money Supermarket, Wonga.com and Direct Line are but a few) do not have the overheads of the High Street chains.

As such I imagine there overheads and their ability to 'strong it out' will be better than more exposed firms.

Is it me or has there been a shift in the last couple of years to a web sales/commissioned based sales model in Insurance. For example neither of the first two insurance names up there actually supply insurance. They operate what is probably a clever bit of scripting which interrogates insurers databases to discover the best deals for peeps. Then when they buy they no doubt take a hefty % for having introduced the punter.

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

These firms along with many of the current UK TV advertisers (Go Compare, Money Supermarket, Wonga.com and Direct Line are but a few) do not have the overheads of the High Street chains.

As such I imagine there overheads and their ability to 'strong it out' will be better than more exposed firms.

Is it me or has there been a shift in the last couple of years to a web sales/commissioned based sales model in Insurance. For example neither of the first two insurance names up there actually supply insurance. They operate what is probably a clever bit of scripting which interrogates insurers databases to discover the best deals for peeps. Then when they buy they no doubt take a hefty % for having introduced the punter.

I seem to recall posters here recommending calling insurance brokers if they get silly interweb quotes.

That said, interweb price information has brought prices down for a whole lot of things.

HOLA446

Dozens of smaller holiday firms go bust every year and always have done. But, what is very very different this year is that they are going bust in the height of the summer season when cashflow is usually at peak - well before the autumn shoulder season, the traditional negative-cashflow elephants' graveyard for travel firms.

Things are not expected to get any better for the Uk outbound industry - today Barbados' tourism minister has announced that the Uk market (providing 40% of its tourists) is not expected to improve in coming years due to job cuts etc, hence the island is to diversify into slave tourism. Presumably they want to cash in on the lucrative slave tourism which, for instance, Senegal etc enjoy - providing the "what happened to the slaves after they crossed the atlantic" slave trail experience to differentiate from the Senegalese "what happened to the slaves in the lead up to their dispatch by boat to cross the atlantic" stuff which sells well to folks, especially african americans doing the roots thing. Smart move - diversify to survive, since there is a belated recognition that the days when Brits can whack a couple of expensive weeks of beach-flop holiday onto their cards/MEWs are over.

I believe we can expect to see plenty of diversification schemes in tourism dependent destinations soon - odder and odder as people get desperate

HOLA447

Dozens of smaller holiday firms go bust every year and always have done. But, what is very very different this year is that they are going bust in the height of the summer season when cashflow is usually at peak - well before the autumn shoulder season, the traditional negative-cashflow elephants' graveyard for travel firms.

Things are not expected to get any better for the Uk outbound industry - today Barbados' tourism minister has announced that the Uk market (providing 40% of its tourists) is not expected to improve in coming years due to job cuts etc, hence the island is to diversify into slave tourism. Presumably they want to cash in on the lucrative slave tourism which, for instance, Senegal etc enjoy - providing the "what happened to the slaves after they crossed the atlantic" slave trail experience to differentiate from the Senegalese "what happened to the slaves in the lead up to their dispatch by boat to cross the atlantic" stuff which sells well to folks, especially african americans doing the roots thing. Smart move - diversify to survive, since there is a belated recognition that the days when Brits can whack a couple of expensive weeks of beach-flop holiday onto their cards/MEWs are over.

I believe we can expect to see plenty of diversification schemes in tourism dependent destinations soon - odder and odder as people get desperate

Have a word with Gruffydd - I think he knows of some Welsh holiday cottages that may be going cheap someday...

HOLA448

today Barbados' tourism minister has announced that the Uk market (providing 40% of its tourists) is not expected to improve in coming years due to job cuts etc, hence the island is to diversify into slave tourism.

Presumably they want to cash in on the lucrative slave tourism which, for instance, Senegal etc enjoy - providing the "what happened to the slaves after they crossed the atlantic" slave trail experience to differentiate from the Senegalese "what happened to the slaves in the lead up to their dispatch by boat to cross the atlantic" stuff which sells well to folks, especially african americans doing the roots thing. Smart move - diversify to survive, since there is a belated recognition that the days when Brits can whack a couple of expensive weeks of beach-flop holiday onto their cards/MEWs are over.

Perhaps combine the slave tourism with the trekkers market...

:unsure:

Geordi, what have they done to you mate ?

1570024160_1f9b7e6cec.jpg?v=0

HOLA449

As Caribbean Beauty says it is really unusual for tour operators to go bust in peak season when they should be awash with cash from the sales of high priced holidays. They usually go bump in the Autumn when the bills from the hoteliers are due or occasionally in the Spring because the airlines do believe they can pay.

Like the housing market from the election onwards sales of overseas holidays have been dreadful with toru operators left with even peak season stock that they can't shift. Hence Thomson and Thomas Cook have been advertising on TV in July and August a time when you would normally spend the money.

HOLA4410

They also make a bit of wonga selling punters' details on to other organisations.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Perhaps combine the slave tourism with the trekkers market...

:unsure:

Geordi, what have they done to you mate ?

1570024160_1f9b7e6cec.jpg?v=0

I like that idea - chain up the chavs in shackles and get a huge scotsman to recreate the role of "plantation owner" and whip the cr#p out of the obese tattooed oiks as they line up for their all-inclusive burger and chips lunches, then mate with their wives in an attempt to breed them (better stop, I'm going to get Masked Tulip excited).

HOLA4416

Heres the problem.

1000 people may be stranded.

Thats 500 sales a week.

40 call centre staff. just over 1 sale a day per operative.

Add in managers, profit and operating costs and we have a very very weak firm.

HOLA4417

I like that idea - chain up the chavs in shackles and get a huge scotsman to recreate the role of "plantation owner" and whip the cr#p out of the obese tattooed oiks as they line up for their all-inclusive burger and chips lunches, then mate with their wives in an attempt to breed them (better stop, I'm going to get Masked Tulip excited).

Can't speak for TMP, but you've got me going! :lol:

HOLA4418

I've been booking a British holiday for the autumn as my g/f is foreign and wants to see Scotland. I've been pretty shocked by the high prices even for off season - so heaven knows how people will afford the much vaunted 'staycation' in the UK in peak season.

I remember seeing a cartoon from WW2 which showed someone in bed with their head under the covers and the bedroom door wedged shut with a chair. The caption was 'Holiday'. I think it's probably quite accurate still.

HOLA4419

I've been booking a British holiday for the autumn as my g/f is foreign and wants to see Scotland. I've been pretty shocked by the high prices even for off season - so heaven knows how people will afford the much vaunted 'staycation' in the UK in peak season.

I remember seeing a cartoon from WW2 which showed someone in bed with their head under the covers and the bedroom door wedged shut with a chair. The caption was 'Holiday'. I think it's probably quite accurate still.

As the locals are increasingly confined to chavisland expect UK holiday prices to rise. It's supply and demand dontcha know.

HOLA4420

They operate what is probably a clever bit of scripting which interrogates insurers databases to discover the best deals for peeps. Then when they buy they no doubt take a hefty % for having introduced the punter.

Yes they are affiliate websites but like many markets in the UK, in order to have access to the databases to allow comparison you have to make a deal with a certain company out there, I tried contacting them but they only deal with big companies that will pay them a sizable amount to have access to the comparison database.

Basically this company has an agreement with all the insurers to have access and that's why you can put all your details in these comparison sites and it will not only check all the prices but when you click through it will have your details on the insurance site still.

There are less advanced comparison sites out there that dont' pass on the details but just click through with an affiliate ID but obviously they are not as good.

The reason there is so much money in being a car insurance affiliate is because car insurance is a big overpriced con to begin with.

And online flight/ holiday comparison sites will never go bust because the costs of running an online business are an order of magnitude lower than running a high street retail shop. That's why the internet is quite competitive these days, there's a lot of profit in it but most of it goes to the best marketers/ businessmen. It's a true reflection on the real world, the most skilled people (or those who can just buy big marketing services) get most of the pie and everyone else gets crumbs.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest Noodle

These holiday firms, what is this exactly?

I can't imagine doing anything other than booking a flight on line and sorting the rest when I land. Usually book a local airport hotel using ogoda.

HOLA4423

As the locals are increasingly confined to chavisland expect UK holiday prices to rise. It's supply and demand dontcha know.

Butlins, Haven, Park Resorts et al have virtualy doubled their prices over the last 2-3 years. However it's not demand pull - this year Butlins are still pushing last minuite deals in August, but 2 years ago they were fully booked for the school holidays by about April. So more a case of lack of competiton from overseas - coleage just back from Turkey reports £7 a pint, £12 for a Big Mac

However another coleage just back from the USA reports deflation all the way, pair of jeans for $1 meals out for $5.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

These holiday firms, what is this exactly?

I can't imagine doing anything other than booking a flight on line and sorting the rest when I land. Usually book a local airport hotel using ogoda.

Ditto.

Easy to book your accommodation online too, if you need it, and you can get some blinding deals.

We went on a package holiday once, to Menorca. Spent the days windsurfing, which was alright if you like windsurfing. The evenings were spent in bars trying to stay awake, while some "self-made man" desperate to tell everyone his life story droned on about his timeshare business or some shit.

Not for me.