House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GloomMonger

Who Is Responsible For Security?

The house we rent is not very secure. A solid shoulder barge would open the front door and the handle comes off the back door and the garden gate is off its hinges. Can I ask the landlady to rectify this?

Just to clarify, is my Landlady obliged by law to provide a secure property?

Above a simple lock I would have thought not.

You can easily break into most propety using distructive force. If the LL was expected to provide protection for some level of force, where is he expected to stop?

tim

Above a simple lock I would have thought not.

You can easily break into most propety using distructive force. If the LL was expected to provide protection for some level of force, where is he expected to stop?

tim

Fair point, but insurance companies expect a certain level of security to qualify for home insurance, surely I can expect the same as a tenant? If she is not obliged to make the changes then I will have to pay hundreds for a locksmith to sort it and hundreds for a new back gate to be fitted. I thought one of the benefits of renting was the landlord bears these costs. I'm not asking for a new kitchen but our neighbours were recently burgled which makes me worry.

Fair point, but insurance companies expect a certain level of security to qualify for home insurance, surely I can expect the same as a tenant? If she is not obliged to make the changes then I will have to pay hundreds for a locksmith to sort it and hundreds for a new back gate to be fitted. I thought one of the benefits of renting was the landlord bears these costs. I'm not asking for a new kitchen but our neighbours were recently burgled which makes me worry.

Simples, look for a more secure property to rent and leave.

I think you should point this out to your landlady and ask her to sort it, in a nice way.

Just say you are a little scared/worried and could she see her way forward to making the property more secure.

The other possible way is to ask the local neighbourhood watch policeman to give you a visit and see what he says. That way you could get some back up with your landlady.

The insurance companies often insist on a 5 lever dead lock (think that is the term) rather than a classic yale lock. So it can be quantified to some extent - ie if you just have a yale lock your insurance will cost more or they will not insure.

I don't have a 5 lever lock on my (rental) door.

I said so on the insurance form and got insurance without problem (and no noticable loading)

tim

The insurance companies often insist on a 5 lever dead lock (think that is the term) rather than a classic yale lock. So it can be quantified to some extent - ie if you just have a yale lock your insurance will cost more or they will not insure.

On the other hand, in many HMOs the fire authorities are emphatic that the doors be of the Yale type so people can't be trapped while frantically trying to find the key which another occupant has put in a safe place!!

Certainly Universities insist on Yale-type locks on their student-approved lets.

On the other hand, in many HMOs the fire authorities are emphatic that the doors be of the Yale type so people can't be trapped while frantically trying to find the key which another occupant has put in a safe place!!

Certainly Universities insist on Yale-type locks on their student-approved lets.

I have only a deadlock. It's wonderful! Not so much for the obvious reason (can't accidentally lock myself out) as because it means I can leave my keys in the door whenever I'm at home. No more frantic key-hunts!