House Price Crash Forum

A "tidal Wave" Of Public Sector Cuts Will Devastate South West Wales

HOLA441
A "TIDAL wave" of public sector cuts will devastate South West Wales, union leaders are warning.

Unison bosses gathered on Swansea and Aberavon beaches to press home their concerns about how the Westminster coalition's spending review will affect the region, especially Swansea.

Wales's second city has one of the largest concentrations of public sector jobs in the UK with thousands employed by the likes of the local authority, NHS, DVLA and coastguard.

The union hopes to get members of the public to sign up to its Million Voices for Public Services.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Cuts-hurt-8211-union/article-2518198-detail/article.html

They forgot to mention the Land Registry, the HMRC tax office, the Universities, etc, but good to see that the Coastguard have not been left out.

I have to admit I have always been amazed why boat-owners are not forced to pay a car-like road tax here in the UK for services such as the Coastguard/RNLI.

Anyhow, hardly a day goes by in Wales now without some dire warning of massive job cuts to come. I honestly thought that house asking prices in my area would have been plunging by now across the board.

Naive innocent fool I am!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

They forgot to mention the Land Registry, the HMRC tax office, the Universities, etc, but good to see that the Coastguard have not been left out.

I have to admit I have always been amazed why boat-owners are not forced to pay a car-like road tax here in the UK for services such as the Coastguard/RNLI.

Anyhow, hardly a day goes by in Wales now without some dire warning of massive job cuts to come. I honestly thought that house asking prices in my area would have been plunging by now across the board.

Naive innocent fool I am!

=========================

"but good to see that the Coastguard have not been left out."

Good grief, fancy posting that.

No doubt nobody will notice if they were all sacked anyway eh tmt ? <_<

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

No pupils - but Carmarthenshire school is staying open

Appears the consultation process means that they cannot shut an empty school. Nuts.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/pupils-8212-school-staying-open/article-2518119-detail/article.html

COUNCIL bosses in Carmarthenshire say they are being forced to keep open a primary school — even though it does not have a single pupil.

Ysgol Capel Iwan, near Newcastle Emlyn, is not allowed to close its doors and will still have a head teacher after the summer holidays, despite the fact the last five children have all left to join other schools.

The decision has been branded a waste of taxpayers' money — although Carmarthenshire Council refused to say exactly how much keeping the school officially open was costing them. Both the board of governors and the local education authority want to close the building.

However, Assembly rules mean this would be unlawful as the proper consultation process needs to be carried out before closure, which means the LEA will have a completely empty school in September

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

The place is being devastated already.

Just did a round of local clients yesterday - retail sales - collapsing - hotel occupancy - collapsing - professional services - collapsing. I'm talking about 30-40% reductions in sales, occupancy, turnover over last 3-6 months.

Got back just in time to watch the Newsnight interview with severely panicky small businessmen down in Sussex (Pagham Harbour I think???).

Confirmed everything I'm seeing - Wales is worst but England is starting to freefall as well.

As one lady said to me - they're not even buying our buckets and spades anymore!

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The place is being devastated already.

Just did a round of local clients yesterday - retail sales - collapsing - hotel occupancy - collapsing - professional services - collapsing. I'm talking about 30-40% reductions in sales, occupancy, turnover over last 3-6 months.

Got back just in time to watch the Newsnight interview with severely panicky small businessmen down in Sussex (Pagham Harbour I think???).

Confirmed everything I'm seeing - Wales is worst but England is starting to freefall as well.

Didn't see Newsnight last night - will look it up on iplayer when it appears there.

Again, what you describe Gruff is the private sector in Wales suffring... OK, maybe their customers are public sector but it still sounds like the private sector is taking the hit... so far...

And still we have ludicrous asking prices... have you seen any more indication of house price asking price drops in your travels?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Didn't see Newsnight last night - will look it up on iplayer when it appears there.

Again, what you describe Gruff is the private sector in Wales suffring... OK, maybe their customers are public sector but it still sounds like the private sector is taking the hit... so far...

And still we have ludicrous asking prices... have you seen any more indication of house price asking price drops in your travels?

It's all a bit surreal out there at the moment. Was speaking to a self catering complex that WAS booked up for the Summer then suffered literally a torrent of cancellations - most were from people losing their jobs - highly paid bods judging by the tariff! People are being hit, are incredibly worried and are tightening their spending. Weirdly the only retailers I came across who were doing OK were the guys selling very expensive art - mainly to retired old farts. For the first time I experienced REAL panic yesterday. Business people usually simply say they're doing well and put a positive spin on everything. Yesterday I saw capitulation.

On the property side of things - there are real problems accessing mortgages - one EA had received several asking price offers on a property but no mortgages were coming through. This had been going on for weeks and weeks. Other properties had failed to sell at auction for very low offer prices. Nothing's selling. West Wales is in trouble. Prices have just started to fall again. Expect the velocity of that fall to increase.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4415

It's all a bit surreal out there at the moment. Was speaking to a self catering complex that WAS booked up for the Summer then suffered literally a torrent of cancellations - most were from people losing their jobs - highly paid bods judging by the tariff! People are being hit, are incredibly worried and are tightening their spending. Weirdly the only retailers I came across who were doing OK were the guys selling very expensive art - mainly to retired old farts. For the first time I experienced REAL panic yesterday. Business people usually simply say they're doing well and put a positive spin on everything. Yesterday I saw capitulation.

On the property side of things - there are real problems accessing mortgages - one EA had received several asking price offers on a property but no mortgages were coming through. This had been going on for weeks and weeks. Other properties had failed to sell at auction for very low offer prices. Nothing's selling. West Wales is in trouble. Prices have just started to fall again. Expect the velocity of that fall to increase.

Thanks for the heads-up...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

FYI, New Instructions are up 60-70% across rural SW Wales - tidal wave of cuts, todal wave of properties on the market = heavy price falls.

This is info I've just received from a pal at one of the main local EAs.

What do you mean by a tidal wave of cuts? Cuts in asking prices or cuts in jobs?

I am not seeing this in Swansea so assume you are still talking Cardigan/Pembs areas?

Any more news on the rental cottage market - has the season been dire?

HOLA4418

Boats tend to be owned by the well off. Hence lower fuel duty (although i believe the EU forced that up a couple of years back) and not much other cost.

Kinda similar to how council tax is very regressive. Rich ALWAYS pay less.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

What do you mean by a tidal wave of cuts? Cuts in asking prices or cuts in jobs?

I am not seeing this in Swansea so assume you are still talking Cardigan/Pembs areas?

Any more news on the rental cottage market - has the season been dire?

HI MT - we're feeling the English Public and Private Sector and Welsh Private Sector cuts at the mo - next year will bring major Welsh Public Sector cuts I'm presuming - if those cuts are meaningful, as they need to be...

HOLA4421

There's whole raft of 50k-ish price reductions on 400-600 k houses going on here. I still doubt many will sell, and it's making the ones that have sat there for 2-3 years with no reduction stand out like a sore thumb

Like this

Is the sheep in the photo a marketing ploy?

I notice the embarkment built up - when that Usk floods, boy it floods.

However, for 650K you do actually get a sizeable property and some land. Be much better when it is 300K though. Looks like a farm selling off one property - isn't there another one next to it in the satellite photo or is that part of the price also?

HOLA4422

HI MT - we're feeling the English Public and Private Sector and Welsh Private Sector cuts at the mo - next year will bring major Welsh Public Sector cuts I'm presuming - if those cuts are meaningful, as they need to be...

The later is what we all need to happen to see serious price moves IMPO. Long time coming though.

It is something I am noticing in Swansea - second homes coming on the market, all for ludicrous asking prices IMPO, but some of them are beginning to drop. So I assume these are private sector types from England getting out... but it is still only small cracks in the dam...

HOLA4423

There's whole raft of 50k-ish price reductions on 400-600 k houses going on here. I still doubt many will sell, and it's making the ones that have sat there for 2-3 years with no reduction stand out like a sore thumb

Like this

I'm guessing that one has flooding issues too - judging by the enormous levee in the garden!!

This one entertains me:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30160364.html

Has been on for about 2 years now, started at £625k, then dropped to £609k, then £575k now back up to £599k! Was on with about 5 agents at one point too! Now next door is up for sale at £500k with 18 acres....

HOLA4424

I notice the embarkment built up - when that Usk floods, boy it floods.

Yep

The levee is right behind the house. That's one reason it's not going to sell. The Usk is the most tidal river in the UK, I think.

However, for 650K you do actually get a sizeable property and some land. Be much better when it is 300K though. Looks like a farm selling off one property - isn't there another one next to it in the satellite photo or is that part of the price also?

You get the whole thing except the other house that's actually on the road. it's not actually a bad deal even at say 600, except for the location - which probably knocks 25% off immediately. It'd have gone on at about 850 without that I reckon. They'll not sell - they're just not motivated.

HOLA4425

[quote name='welsh1' date='12 August 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1281613607' post='2666944'

This one entertains me:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30160364.html

Has been on for about 2 years now, started at £625k, then dropped to £609k, then £575k now back up to £599k! Was on with about 5 agents at one point too! Now next door is up for sale at £500k with 18 acres....

It's been on nearly 3 years, and was originally over 700. It's not far from here; it's actually a decent house but again it's a crap location for a few reasons

It was also unfinished for a long time - no bathrooms - and maybe the price hike reflects them finishing it. Or possibly NRW are just incompetent :)