House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fadeaway

The Public Knows..

Worth an anecdotal post.

Had a gas repair guy round my house this morning to do a checkup. He pointed at the 'sold' sign outside and noted that the owners would be glad of that, as 'prices are just about to come down'.

Once taxi drivers get talking about it we'll be rolling! The public is catching on.

I think people are beginning to realise things will turn bad. In Oxford we haven't seen the race to the door yet. I think a lot of people are starting to think about selling Buy-to-lets they've had for 5-10 years and trying to keep some of their capital gains. There hasn't been any panic or forced selling in my area to my knowledge. I'm not sure if people would be prepared to sell at either a genuine loss or a loss when considering what the house was worth in 2007 yet but it may be coming.

That may make it the perfect time to buy ;)

Or more likely the 'panic and despair' phase of the leg down is just starting after the 'denial and suckers rally' has ended.

Where is that graphic when you need it...

There are entire streets near me, all terraced houses, that were snapped up by BTL. These would've been your traditional FTB properties (and I would gladly have bought one of them). Over the past 6 years there has been a steady cycle of "To Let" signs outside each house and never a "For Sale" sign... until about 18 months ago.

I drove past one of the roads yesterday and my jaw actually dropped at the number of "For Sale" signs I saw.

I doubt I'll be the only one who noticed. They're bailing out.

Worth an anecdotal post.

Had a gas repair guy round my house this morning to do a checkup. He pointed at the 'sold' sign outside and noted that the owners would be glad of that, as 'prices are just about to come down'.

Once taxi drivers get talking about it we'll be rolling! The public is catching on.

Good stuff, but what makes you think he's not someone off here anyway? That he's a gas repair man automatically makes him a member of the unseeing public?

Sounds like a smart chap as he's working a trade which presumably doles out his fair share of bored housewives rather than in an office.

Good stuff, but what makes you think he's not someone off here anyway? That he's a gas repair man automatically makes him a member of the unseeing public?

Sounds like a smart chap as he's working a trade which presumably doles out his fair share of bored housewives rather than in an office.

Sounds like Sibley - definitely time to buy.

There are entire streets near me, all terraced houses, that were snapped up by BTL. These would've been your traditional FTB properties (and I would gladly have bought one of them). Over the past 6 years there has been a steady cycle of "To Let" signs outside each house and never a "For Sale" sign... until about 18 months ago.

I drove past one of the roads yesterday and my jaw actually dropped at the number of "For Sale" signs I saw.

I doubt I'll be the only one who noticed. They're bailing out.

I saw the same recently, 7-8 'for sale' signs (and one 'to let' ) in a street of not more than 100 terraced houses in prime BTL territory in South Yorks. Jaw dropping is the word.

Edited by rented

I saw the same recently, 7-8 'for sale' signs (and one 'to let' ) in a street of not more than 100 terraced houses in prime BTL territory in South Yorks. Jaw dropping is the word.

But are they prices "to sell" or are they priced "hopefully".

Where I am looking, almost everything is in the latter category and almost none of it is selling

But are they prices "to sell" or are they priced "hopefully".

Where I am looking, almost everything is in the latter category and almost none of it is selling

All hopefully priced, sadly. I'm seeing a few places priced to sell but they all go very quickly. Some of the more pricey/over-priced stuff was still selling well too although it's been starting to look like some of them might be joining the SSTC/available roundabout that has been going on at the higher end of the market (200k+) in my target area for a good couple of months now.