House Price Crash Forum

Moral Dilemma

cabbagepatchkid

HOLA441

Apologies if this has been posted here before, but another thread just reminded me of this conundrum:

Imagine you are the only person in a points box for a section of train track.

Heading down the track at 120mph is a scheduled intercity train. If it continues on it's scheduled path, it will head towards and rapidly reach a group of seven children who are playing on the track.

They are too far away for you to contact them in any way.

You have no way of contacting the driver or stopping the train.

The only way you can divert the train is to pull a lever to change a set of points. This will send the train onto a disused piece of track which runs across some slightly overgrown wasteland.

However, playing on this piece of track is a lone boy.

Although no trains have used this track in recent years you know that the track has been inspected and can be confident that the train will not derail as a result of the diversion. You have no way of contacting the lone boy either.

What do you do and why?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I wouldn't change the points because when there are seven children it is more likely that one of them will notice the train coming than if there is only one child.

That is true and valid. I'm not changing the poll question here but out of interest, if all 8 children were deaf and blind would you still not pull the lever?

HOLA447
HOLA448

No idea and I doubt anyone would know what they would actually do unless they were put in the situation.

Fair point. I have edited the poll to add a "don't know" option.

I've only every asked this question in a pub before and people are usually very quick to answer with the ratio of answers being around 80/20 (not saying in what direction) with most answerers prepared to back up their choice with reasoning.

HOLA449

What do you do and why?

Tut and blame the parents for letting their kids play on the tracks.

These 'maximum utility' moral dilemma's are always bullcrap and never realistic, but if you are sitting comfortably you might like this 12 lecture series:

HOLA4410

They should be able to feel the vibrations of the train approaching. Also, the seven children should have an expectation of a train coming along the tracks whereas the lone child on the abandoned tracks has no such expectation - should I choose the life of seven people who should realise they've put themselves in a dangerous situation over one person who is in a situation where they have every expectation of being safe? I think not.

Good post. I agree with mmm...beer.

HOLA4411

Tut and blame the parents for letting their kids play on the tracks.

These 'maximum utility' moral dilemma's are always bullcrap and never realistic, but if you are sitting comfortably you might like this 12 lecture series:

Am watching the vid now. I notice it's sponsored by the Goldman Sachs Foundation :lol:

The vid opens with a similar dilema but the question he sets is quite vague. I'm curious if he follows up with the question I'm going to ask after a few people have voted in the poll.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Am watching the vid now. I notice it's sponsored by the Goldman Sachs Foundation :lol:

The vid opens with a similar dilema but the question he sets is quite vague. I'm curious if he follows up with the question I'm going to ask after a few people have voted in the poll.

Yeah,

At 11 minutes he does ask the next question.

Usual pub response is 80% change the points 20% let the train run on.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I wouldn't do anything. Logic would have nothing to do with it. Time would.

By the time I had the initial thoughts of what to do - the train would have gone past. I reckon, if this situation was real, this would happen for 99% of people.

You would not have a chance to think logically through both the options. You would do nothing. You may think you would change it. You would not. Unless you were given a few minutes to think about it.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I wouldn't do anything. Logic would have nothing to do with it. Time would.

By the time I had the initial thoughts of what to do - the train would have gone past. I reckon, if this situation was real, this would happen for 99% of people.

You would not have a chance to think logically through both the options. You would do nothing. You may think you would change it. You would not. Unless you were given a few minutes to think about it.

If this were real life, interfering would mean you getting arrested and going to prison for murder.

HOLA4422

If this were real life, interfering would mean you getting arrested and going to prison for murder.

And by the time the train went past at 120mph that would not have even crossed your mind.

No offence to the OP - but the question is stupid. Nobody would do anything in real life.

However if the question is a teaser to get people's opinions on things - it is a bit interesting.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I think you asked me this down the pub, and my initial reaction was to pull the lever to change the points, but that was before I knew about the little guy playing by himself. Assuming that I had time to make the decision etc, I would still not pull the lever and kill an innocent even if it meant that 7 (blind or non blind makes no difference) kids got squished. Quite frankly, blind kids should have more sense than to play on train tracks.

HOLA4425

Archived