HOLA441

OK guys

get ready this the big one,

its just round the corner now

FTSE falling, DOW down.

its all happening.

Taleb Says Government Bonds to Collapse, Avoid Stocks

By Renee Bonorchis and Miles Weiss - Aug 11, 2010 7:47 PM GMT+0100

Nassim Nicholas Taleb, who warned that unforeseen events can roil markets in "The Black Swan," said he is "betting on the collapse of government bonds" and that investors should avoid stocks.

“I’m very pessimistic,” he said at the Discovery Invest Leadership Summit in Johannesburg today. “By staying in cash or hedging against inflation, you won’t regret it in two years.”

Treasuries have rallied amid speculation the global economic recovery is faltering, driving yields on two-year notes to a record low of 0.4892 percent today. The Federal Reserve yesterday reversed plans to exit from monetary stimulus and decided to keep its bond holdings level to support an economic recovery it described as weaker than anticipated. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index retreated 16 percent between April 23 and July 2, the biggest slump during the bull market.

The financial system is riskier than it was before the 2008 crisis that led the U.S. economy to the worst contraction since the Great Depression, Taleb said.

Prior to the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. in September 2008, Taleb warned that bankers were relying too much on probability models and were disregarding the potential for unexpected catastrophes. His book labeled these events black swans, referring to the widely held belief that only white swans existed until black ones were discovered in Australia in 1697, and said that they were becoming more severe.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-11/-black-swan-author-taleb-says-he-bets-on-collapse-of-government-bonds.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest Noodle

OK guys

get ready this the big one,

its just round the corner now

FTSE falling, DOW down.

its all happening.

“I’m very pessimistic,” he said at the Discovery Invest Leadership Summit in Johannesburg today. “By staying in cash or hedging against inflation, you won’t regret it in two years.”

:huh:

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Noodle

Maybe he means burning it to keep warm when fuel prices are unaffordable. :lol:

He thinks it is going to crash again, outcome, still undetermined - all depends on reactions by the money printers.

I just thought staying in cash and hedging against inflation were polar opposites of each other.

HOLA445

I just thought staying in cash and hedging against inflation were polar opposites of each other.

Yes, that is why it suggest to men that he sees another big problem but not the outcome as the orchestrators of the outcome are so unpredictable. Nice bit of sitting on the fence in that respect.

HOLA446
HOLA447

However, from ZeroHedge:

To be sure this is not a new position for Nassim, who
in February had the same message
, when he said that "every single human being" should be short U.S. treasuries. Indeed since then bonds have gone up in a straight line as the bond bubble has grown to record levels, and with the ongoing help of the Fed, is it any wonder. The only question is when will this last bubble also pop.

Who TF knows? :blink:

HOLA448
HOLA449

these are two things...stay in cash for the deflation, and hedge against inflation...with summat else....the result is you stay where you are.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Noodle

these are two things...stay in cash for the deflation, and hedge against inflation...with summat else....the result is you stay where you are.

I get it now. Cheers.

So he's saying it's a big either or situation, but not sure which.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

who could pay out on the options if we get hyper-inflation - if hes doing that he's clueless

That's Taleb for you. Pick a really well capitalised bank and cross your fingers.

UBS? :D ( <- My Jim Rogers impersonation, just for you )

Edited by AvidFan

HOLA4424
HOLA4425