House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

If You Could Catch A Five Minute Chat With David Cameron..

...with all this "PM Direct" roadshow thing he does, if you managed to get five minutes with him, what would you talk about - what one policy would you discuss and like to see him adopt?

...with all this "PM Direct" roadshow thing he does, if you managed to get five minutes with him, what would you talk about - what one policy would you discuss and like to see him adopt?

I wouldnt waste my breath, even as a Tory voter I dont think for a second they are there to do what we want.

I would ask him why council tax is so blatantly skewed towards the extremely wealthy.

The council tax bands are completely inadequate reflctions of the relative value of the most expensive homes in any council.

I would suggest that he impose a regime where council tax is set at 0.75% to 1.25% of the most recent purchase price inflated by CPI since the last transaction with some sort of national versus local split of the tax.

In instances where the most recent transaction was so long ago that reliable records no longer exist, I would use a fair market appraisal.

I would impose this tax on homes and their land, productive farms and vacant land.

Either answer to sbn's question would leave me feeling just a little bit queasy ........

I wouldnt waste my breath, even as a Tory voter I dont think for a second they are there to do what we want.

Very true... if he was forthright and honest for the full five minutes, then you would be wisest to explain your own personal circumstances and ask him what you should do regarding housing (assuming that is your priority as an hpc'er).

I fear that you are right and hope that you aren't.

I fear that you are right and hope that you aren't.

The problem with being in charge is that they try to act as if they are pleasing all people at all times which is frankly impossible.....much of what they say is testing waters and a lot of hot air, the key objective is to stay in power so will say what they think we want to hear, then do what they had in mind anyway regardless and hope you don't notice. ;)

What happened to your plans to encourage savings instead of debt? Do you remember your 2009 promise to abolish tax on savings except for higher rate tax payers? Do you think low interest rates that allow banks to steal savings income from savers is "doing the right thing?"

I wouldn't ask anything, just berate him for his "junior partner" comments in the USA a few weeks ago. Apart from that, the new government still feels like a breath of fresh air.

The problem with being in charge is that they try to act as if they are pleasing all people at all times which is frankly impossible.....much of what they say is testing waters and a lot of hot air, the key objective is to stay in power so will say what they think we want to hear, then do what they had in mind anyway regardless and hope you don't notice. ;)

I agree. No matter the persuasion, politics is all about gaining and then retaining power. The means by which these goals are attained are unpleasant at best.

I wouldn't ask anything, just berate him for his "junior partner" comments in the USA a few weeks ago. Apart from that, the new government still feels like a breath of fresh air.

The risk is that a bit of mouthwash resulting in a short term breath of fresh air is hiding a severe case of halitosis.

And this from someone who hopes that a government more in tune with the wishes of the people rather than the political class than the previous lot will succeed .......

I would ask Mr Cameron just when he was going to start laying off the indolent work shy public sector employees (including elected representatives).

Any public sector employee who has taken more than say 25 sickies over the past 5 years unless they were hospitalised for any part of those days should be put on a final written warning.

There are 3 million being paid to look for work. Give someone else an opportunity.

I would ask Mr Cameron just when he was going to start laying off the indolent work shy public sector employees (including elected representatives).

Any public sector employee who has taken more than say 25 sickies over the past 5 years unless they were hospitalised for any part of those days should be put on a final written warning.

There are 3 million being paid to look for work. Give someone else an opportunity.

I'd ask him why he doesn't relax the planning laws and provide much needed social housing in areas which are under populated.

Stop kicking the unemployed and look at the facts . Due to technology there is never going to be enough work for every adult to have a full time job. So instead of picking at the edges, giving out labour sound bites and kicking those without jobs . Either accept the situation and announce that not everyone can have a job or cut the working week.

I'd ask him why he doesn't relax the planning laws and provide much needed social housing in areas which are under populated.

Unfortuantely the areas underpopulated are under populated because there is no work there.

As regards the social housing you wish for, who exactly is to pay for it? The derisory yields would take 3 generations to pay for the capital outlay. And should you be so lucky as to be granted your wish, who will pay for the schools and hospitals, the sewerage, water and general infrastructure?

There are many places requiring regeneration. How about identifying those places first and moving those who require shelter there so they can contribute accordingly. We cannot all live where we want. Everyone should be reminded that we are hunter gatherers. The hunting grounds are not in the under populated areas.

Stop kicking the unemployed and look at the facts . Due to technology there is never going to be enough work for every adult to have a full time job. So instead of picking at the edges, giving out labour sound bites and kicking those without jobs . Either accept the situation and announce that not everyone can have a job or cut the working week.

I'd also ask him what his strategy was to cut the amount lost due to tax evasion...will he be using credit agencies on those who are suspected of such activities?

Unfortuantely the areas underpopulated are under populated because there is no work there.

As regards the social housing you wish for, who exactly is to pay for it? The derisory yields would take 3 generations to pay for the capital outlay. And should you be so lucky as to be granted your wish, who will pay for the schools and hospitals, the sewerage, water and general infrastructure?

There are many places requiring regeneration. How about identifying those places first and moving those who require shelter there so they can contribute accordingly. We cannot all live where we want. Everyone should be reminded that we are hunter gatherers. The hunting grounds are not in the under populated areas.

Total rubbish

There is plenty of room to build houses where there are people , people travel from Essex where i live to London everyday to work , Essex has more than enough space to build enough houses without the whole of it being built on , and so does every county in the country that needs houses.

More houses does not mean more schools and more hospitals needed as the people living in the new houses already use hospitals and schools.

Total rubbish

There is plenty of room to build houses where there are people , people travel from Essex where i live to London everyday to work , Essex has more than enough space to build enough houses without the whole of it being built on , and so does every county in the country that needs houses.

More houses does not mean more schools and more hospitals needed as the people living in the new houses already use hospitals and schools.

You are rubbishing my comments when you mean to rubbish the question I was commenting on old stick. I totally agree with you about building in already built up areas.

Sadly as people in the UK don't want flats and apartments we need to build houses. Regretfully as with roads , the more that are built, the more additional infrastructure is needed. Your schools in Essex are almost maxed out as are your hospitals (soon will be with the cutbacks). Parts of west Essex are the driest in the country. There isn't enough water and certainly not enough sewerage.

As for saying every County in the country has space, technically that is true. Herts is the most densely populated home county. May I suggest politely that all these new houses you want (which noone can pay for) are built outside the South East?

You are rubbishing my comments when you mean to rubbish the question I was commenting on old stick. I totally agree with you about building in already built up areas.

Sadly as people in the UK don't want flats and apartments we need to build houses. Regretfully as with roads , the more that are built, the more additional infrastructure is needed. Your schools in Essex are almost maxed out as are your hospitals (soon will be with the cutbacks). Parts of west Essex are the driest in the country. There isn't enough water and certainly not enough sewerage.

As for saying every County in the country has space, technically that is true. Herts is the most densely populated home county. May I suggest politely that all these new houses you want (which noone can pay for) are built outside the South East?

So if the people on the housing lists in Essex are built homes why would that put more pressure on the schools and hospitals ? those people are already living in Essex and using those services.

Yes more infrastructure is needed like roads and drains , so we build those as well. No big deal.

No do not build all those houses outside the south east , build them where the people are in the south east. If you build them else where then the people who go to live in them will have long commutes every day. There is plenty of land everywhere across the south east the land is there open your eyes and you will see it.

Absolutely - i'd say keep up the good work.

He has doused the country in realism. They don't all like it - but it doesn't make it any less real.

My Fist would manifest it's humble way across and unto his fried egg misshapen face and deliver a policy of pain.

Questions, talk, are you mad?

What kind of foolish talk is this, do you not know what is going on?

"Mr Cameron

1. The money that is being (had been) 'created' ......... why does it have to be repaid? ...... in other words why do tax payers have to pay for something that never existed?

2. Is your income dependent upon the repayment of this 'created' money?"