House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cogs

Priorities.

As per the 'number crunching' section in Private Eye:

Scapped, to save 250 million:

The Department for Education has frozen grants to 132 local authorities in England to construct a generation of new play areas, many of which were originally designed by children. Officials insisted the building programme – launched under Labour – was "unrealistic" and funding would be cut to protect frontline services

Retained, at a cost of 2.7 billion:

'Winter Fuel Payments will cost more than £2.7billion this year yet only 12 per cent of recipients are in fuel poverty. MPs originally considered removing the payments from those who pay tax at the 40% rate to save 250 million.

Granny and Grandad are the reason you can't play out kids, they need the money for cruises and nights out. They are 'frontline Tory voters' it would seem.

As per the 'number crunching' section in Private Eye:

Scapped, to save 250 million:

Retained, at a cost of 2.7 billion:

Granny and Grandad are the reason you can't play out kids, they need the money for cruises and nights out. They are 'frontline Tory voters' it would seem.

Apart from those Grannies & Grandads who might otherwise freeze to death.

Apart from those Grannies & Grandads who might otherwise freeze to death.

12% according to the official figures. How about we give them twice as much and use the rest to build playgrounds with. Why does, say, Lakshmi Mittal, the 3rd richest man on the planet, need me to give him extra money more than kids on an estate need a playground?

Don't worry. Local people will take over the responsibility. They will get together, raise money for equipment, get the Local Au thority to

provide a piece of land and the Big Society will build the playground.

Then some nice old men with a particular interest in children will volunteer to look after the kids while Mum's at work.....

12% according to the official figures. How about we give them twice as much and use the rest to build playgrounds with. Why does, say, Lakshmi Mittal, the 3rd richest man on the planet, need me to give him extra money more than kids on an estate need a playground?

I'm all for spending a bit of money keeping children of irresponsible parents busy. Where did the 12% figure come from?

Does LM claim a state pension?

Granny and Grandad are the reason you can't play out kids, they need the money for cruises and nights out.

Agreed, more than 80% of the potential recipients really don't need this but rather than look at how we can protect the vulnerable while stopping payments to everyone else over 60, let's just apply some knee-jerk HPC spin.

Or is my minor-irony-with-a-little-bit-of-sarcasm detector playing up again? :ph34r:

Don't worry. Local people will take over the responsibility. They will get together, raise money for equipment, get the Local Authority to provide a piece of land and the Big Society will build the playground.

All this Big Society stuff makes me laugh. Come work for free in Cameron's Big Society...

Edited by MrFlibble

£250m divided by 132 local authorities = £1.9m. An average local authority has about 150,000 people and 19% of the population is under 16, so that makes £67 per child in these areas. My only question is: should it really cost £67 per local child to put up a few swings?

Don't worry. Local people will take over the responsibility. They will get together, raise money for equipment, get the Local Au thority to

Then some nice old men with a particular interest in children will volunteer to look after the kids while Mum's at work.....

:)

You're still a leftie bigot, but that's a good effort.

I wonder how much it would cost to insulate the oldies homes better instead of paying for more heating?

£250m divided by 132 local authorities = £1.9m. An average local authority has about 150,000 people and 19% of the population is under 16, so that makes £67 per child in these areas. My only question is: should it really cost £67 per local child to put up a few swings?

How much is the insurance against being sued by kids that hurt themselves on these playgrounds?

How much is the winter fuel payment?

What's wrong with wearing a jumper or am I missing the point.

OK so in the winter do you use heating, or do you just sit there in a jumper?

The children can play on a grass field, they don't need play equipment. The old people might die without this payment.

The children can play on a grass field, they don't need play equipment. The old people might die without this payment.

I don't really get why £250/£400 for fuel?

I live on my own in a fairly large flat with poor insulation and I struggle to get my bills

(elec and gas combined) over £6/week.

Sure, I'm not there all day like a pensioner might and I'm young so might not need as much heat, but

I'm not deliberately rationing or anything.

Seems to be just a payment to buy votes.

An interesting one.

There is no doubt that some people are poor parents.

Some think that an entire apparatus needs to be set up to ensure that no kids are vulnerable to poor parents. They further require oversight and measurement bodies to ensure that the process works. Cost is less of a consideration than the ideology.

Others think that sanctioning poor parents and protecting just their children is the solution. They believe that most people are good parents who will do more for their children than standards set by the state. They consider this to be effective and cost efficient.

This argument could be extended across most of our society to explain the logic behind the small state versus large state proponents.

Doesn't seem unreasonable although I'm sure your 'few swings' comment is meant to be facetious. Play equipment needs to very sturdy and surfaces need to suitably safe (rubberized or whatever).

Well designed playground equipment can be incredibly beneficial to children's physical and mental development and promotes a healthy lifestyle. Furthermore, well appointed and maintained play areas foster a good sense of community. Saving a few quid on playgrounds will most likely cost society a whole lot more down the line.

assuming you don't live in a city.

Maybe as the kids get older they'll choose to go breaking windows instead. Hope they're yours rather than mine!

Do you think it's reasonable to fence off an area of 'field' for children to play in where dogs are excluded?

Even fencing is expensive. The benefits of decent play areas are huge and I'm really shocked at those who think such investment in the future is not worthwhile.

BTW I have no objection whatsoever to elderly people receiving any help they NEED to heat their homes.