House Price Crash Forum
Zngland

The Hidden Face Of Globilisation

No no no no no no no no no!

It's the £1bn wasted on benefit fraudsters that's the problem.

Once Osborne has sorted that out we'll be fine.

Don't you read the news?

(It's like a living Lowry from Lancashire at the height of Cottonopolis).

No no no no no no no no no!

It's the £1bn wasted on benefit fraudsters that's the problem.

Once Osborne has sorted that out we'll be fine.

Don't you read the news?

(It's like a living Lowry from Lancashire at the height of Cottonopolis).

:lol:

I'm speechless.

Globilisation's lovely for the the elites. Where does this trend lead?

Horrible. It is a tragedy. Really sad. But we must be very careful not to make their lives even worse. Notice that the video did not recommend boycotts or protectionism, causing them to lose those jobs. Believe it or not, their alternatives over there are even worse! Incredibly for us. The root cause of their problems is poverty. They need more jobs there, better jobs, not less and worse jobs.

Support for international charities also help.

And support for our governments, both Labour and the Coalition (!), in reaching the United Nations target of 0.7% of GDP in international aid.

Horrible. It is a tragedy. Really sad. But we must be very careful not to make their lives even worse. Notice that the video did not recommend boycotts or protectionism, causing them to lose those jobs. Believe it or not, their alternatives over there are even worse! Incredibly for us. The root cause of their problems is poverty. They need more jobs there, better jobs, not less and worse jobs.

And support for our governments, both Labour and the Coalition (!), in reaching the United Nations target of 0.7% of GDP in international aid.

You're so full of crap.

Right, so the cure for crass exploitation is more crass exploitation? These people would be better off living off the land, as their ancestors did for generations.Being de-facto slaves for immoral Western corporations is a retrograde step in developmental terms.

Edited by Boom Boom

Sorry? Care to explain?

FYI, I've worked for years with international development, both "on the field" and academic research.

Which is why anything you say on the issue should be disregarded as it is wed to a globalist agenda. You're nothing more than a useful idiot, serving the lie that exporting exploitation is a viable path to economic development.

Right, so the cure for crass exploitation is more crass exploitation? These people would be better off living off the land, as their ancestors did for generations.Being de-facto slaves for immoral Western corporations is a retrograde step in developmental terms.

Even the video authors do not recommend boycotts. Oxfam or, Christian Aid, the United Nations, nobody recommends boycotts. In some of these poor countries there are some workers's unions, and they do not ask for boycott either.

I know that it is counter-intuitive, but boycott will make their situation even worse.

They do not have the option of a better life in a rural village. If they had it, they would go there.

Which is why anything you say on the issue should be disregarded as it is wed to a globalist agenda. You're nothing more than a useful idiot, serving the lie that exporting exploitation is a viable path to economic development.

You misunderstood me. I meant I have worked and researched with poverty alleviation / improvement / development. Ways to help them.

And as I wrote above, even that video's authors do not recommend boycotts. Nor does Oxfam or, Christian Aid, the United Nations, nobody recommends boycotts.

In some of these poor countries, such as in India, a democracy, there are some workers' unions, and they do not ask for boycott either. I know that it is counter-intuitive, but boycott will make their situation even worse.

exploitation at its worst!!!

weekly wage of under $4 for 100+ hrs of work.

more reason this system need a reset, as I posted earlier on Max Keiser thread we need more of these to stop globalisation.

Sorry? Care to explain?

FYI, I've worked for years with international development, both "on the field" and academic research.

It's suited to the rich , large corporations and such and will enslave everyone else.

Maybe before it's proliferation a world minimum labour "standard" which limits exploitation is in order?

Personally if im in charge i'm hitting the tarriff button, until i get my head around the real economic

implications.

Sxxt im sounding like a commie ,- it shows though, these plutocrats , given time, could convince you in the sanity

of eating your own arm.

You misunderstood me. I meant I have worked and researched with poverty alleviation / improvement / development. Ways to help them.

And as I wrote above, even that video's authors do not recommend boycotts. Nor does Oxfam or, Christian Aid, the United Nations, nobody recommends boycotts.

In some of these poor countries, such as in India, a democracy, there are some workers' unions, and they do not ask for boycott either. I know that it is counter-intuitive, but boycott will make their situation even worse.

Repeating the same tired mantra won't make it any more true. How did the ancestors of the people working in these workhouses manage without slaving away for Western companies? These cultures prospered for many centuries before any of these corporations existed.

It's suited to the rich , large corporations and such and will enslave everyone else.

Maybe before it's proliferation a world minimum labour "standard" which limits exploitation is in order?

Personally if im in charge i'm hitting the tarriff button, until i get my head around the real economic

implications.

Sxxt im sounding like a commie ,- it shows though, these plutocrats , given time, could convince you in the sanity

of eating your own arm.

Of course those conditions were/are terrible! That is exactly why we must find the best and fastest way to improve that situation! And be very careful not to make it worse. If by tariffs you meant import tariffs, that would mean they would lose their jobs. And they do not want to lose those jobs, because the alternatives are worse. These are facts.

The only solution is development, and there are basically 3 ways to help: private aid (charity), government aid, and international investment. All these 3 are important.

Remember, those horrible working conditions were common here 100 years ago, and in Japan 50 years ago, and in... what? Korea 30 years ago, and in Brazil 20 years ago.

Now these very poor countries are developing too. And labour conditions will improve. The speed? it will depend on those 3 factors above. The more the better.

Sorry, but if you are honestly concerned for them, boycott/protectionism is not a solution.

Repeating the same tired mantra won't make it any more true. How did the ancestors of the people working in these workhouses manage without slaving away for Western companies? These cultures prospered for many centuries before any of these corporations existed.

Like here. How did our ancestors managed before industrialisation? Very badly. Life was very poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

If you sincerely want to help them, then help them, don't hinder them.

And don't put your personal pride (in "losing" a little argument in a silly forum) above their well being. Think about THEM.

Like here. How did our ancestors managed before industrialisation? Very badly. Life was very poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

And don't put your personal pride (in "losing" a little argument in a silly forum) above their well being. Think about THEM.

You seem oblivious to the distinction between the Western industrial revolution, and what is happening in places like Bangladesh. There is no silver lining for countries like Bangladesh, the pennies paid to their workers are not going to seed the growth of higher living standards.

You seem oblivious to the distinction between the Western industrial revolution, and what is happening in places like Bangladesh. There is no silver lining for countries like Bangladesh, the pennies paid to their workers are not going to seed the growth of higher living standards.

Like I wrote to Zngland above, (please take a look there, post #18), these horrible working conditions in Bangladesh were common here, in England, 100 years ago, and in Japan 50 years ago, and in... what? Korea 30 years ago, and in Brazil 20 years ago.

But you don't have to believe me:

United Nations institution for development co-ordination and funding :

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/COUNTRIES/SOUTHASIAEXT/BANGLADESHEXT/0,,menuPK:295765~pagePK:141159~piPK:141110~theSitePK:295760,00.html

EDIT: For some reason the link above works only if you copy/paste it in your browser.

And since you will not believe me about boycotts and protectionism either, I think you should ask others about that. You probably agree that Oxfam is one of the best UK charities. Check their website, or even ask/email them: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Was it really? Or is it just portrayed that way...

ToW, there is a difference between industrialisation where the benefits go to the people or the country and what is currently happening.

Take China as an example, the money made went into development and city building.

A good thing.

But if you compare it to the last 15 years where China has been in Africa.

15 years ago the African guy lived in a shack and barely had enough to eat. Now after slogging his guts out for 15 hard years for wages calibrated to pay him exactly enough to pay his rent and just barely enough food to eat he is still living in the same shack with barely enough food to eat.

Unlike in China where the government captured the worker's output and ploughed it into internal development, all the benefits from the African guy slogging his guts out immediately leaves the country. No new cities, no improved healthcare, no improved education system.

This is a bad thing.

And that bad thing is done all over the world, Nike, who also manufacture in Bangladesh, pay zero taxes in Bangladesh despite Nike's turnover being 55 times greater than the GDP of Bangladesh. they justify it by saying they leave behind the wages, but the wages only cover rent and food. no money is left for development either by paying taxes or wages high enough for workers to fund development.

As mentioned, the situation is similar to our own industrial revolution, in that people are forced into slavery by depriving them of their land or the benefits from it. Now the elites can do it on a global scale.

That we apologise for it, excuse it and argue that it is 'the only way' rather than learn from the lessons of our own past is shameful.

There isn't only one way of helping the world out of poverty, so one has to ask why all the others are being wilfully ignored?