House Price Crash Forum
muggle

Fancy A Flat Near Hyde Park?

The £140m flat: World-record price earns mystery buyer room service from a TV chef, a panic room and SAS-trained bodyguards

It boasts a penthouse view over Central London, a private wine-tasting facility and an underground passage to a Heston Blumenthal restaurant.

Throw in security measures a James Bond villain would be proud of and a ‘panic room’ in case things go wrong, and you would expect to pay a high price.

But even estate agents could not contain their amazement yesterday as a London property was on the verge of being sold for £140million – making it the most expensive flat in the world...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1301918/The-140m-flat-World-record-price-Central-London-penthouse.html

I posted something about this development when it was in the early planning stages and early indications suggested that the flats may achieve a price tag of up to £80 million - I laughed.

Seems I have been proved wrong. :blink:

Looks like a 1960s council tenement block.

Do we know which of our collapsed banks is bankrolling this pair of chancers?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1301918/The-140m-flat-World-record-price-Central-London-penthouse.html

I posted something about this development when it was in the early planning stages and early indications suggested that the flats may achieve a price tag of up to £80 million - I laughed.

It does not sound right! I smell a fish. Money Laundering springs to mind. There really are so few individuals who could afford this. A few companies, maybe. It sounds like an outrageous con. You could probably buy one of Britains largest stately homes on 300 acres for that, with change left over!

Hopeless really,most people that buy these places,never live in them.

Where's the Garden?

BS

Its hyde park.

OK its a public park, but im sure you can pay a security detail to form a large ring around you thus creating a private space wherever you walk.

These prices are reminiscent of the insane real estate prices in Tokyo circa 1989 - before their huge asset price crash during the 90s.

As a matter of interest, what will the council tax be on this flat as a percentage of the purchase price when compared to a merely ridiculously expensive house purchased for £14 million?

If the answer is 1/10th due to the way that council tax bands work, we get another example of the inequity in the council tax system that really needs to be addressed.

If you were the supposed buyer of this place, how would you feel about proceeding with the transaction when it's been covered all over the media? I would have thought that £140m would be enough to buy some discretion.

To me this sounds like an easy way for the developer to get some free publicity and I doubt that a sale is anywhere near being agreed.

Hang on this is not a 1929 crash. I'm expecting billionires to be jumping out of these flats, not continue to be buying them.

This is no where near deflation.

I read this headline in last night's Evening Standard. Surely, isn't this a key indicator of what the value of sterling currently is? ph34r.gif

Yes, that's exactly what I did : I read the headline.

I didn't bother to read the article because I don't care about rich people.

It did however, remind me of an earlier thread about the Candy brothers which questioned whether they might be in some sort of financial trouble. In that thread Little Professor posted a link to a website which marketed one of their latest developments, No.21 Chesham Place:

Here's the brochure for the £40million flat, sorry, luxury apartment.
It's in "one of the most sort after [sic] addresses"

Well now, it's over 18 months later, the link's still working and you can download the specs. Um, it looks like they still haven't closed the deal. They sold, what, 2 out the 6 flats they developed? I see no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Mystery buyers, eh?

Uh-huh.

They must be bricking it.

edit|typo

Edited by darwin

Yes, that's exactly what I did : I read the headline.

I didn't bother to read the article because I don't care about rich people.

It did, however, reminder me of an earlier thread about the Candy brothers which questioned whether they might be in some sort of financial trouble. In that thread Little Professor posted a link to a website which marketed one of their latest developments, No.21 Chesham Place:

Well now, it's over 18 months later, the link's still working and you can download the specs. Um, it looks like they still haven't closed the deal. They sold, what, 2 out the 6 flats they developed? I see no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Mystery buyers, eh?

Uh-huh.

They must be bricking it.

Isn't The buyer is the guy that backed the Candy Brothers. The so called Emir of Qatar. These Arabs never really buy, this is just a marketing trick to give the impression there is some demand. Didn't such an Arab buy stock in one of those Icelandic banks that caused so much havoc in Iceland. It transpired that the Icelandic bank loaned those same Arab investors the money to buy the stock, then forgave the loan. In any other environment this practice is known as fraud.

Folks I would be suspicious of what one reads!

Isn't The buyer is the guy that backed the Candy Brothers. The so called Emir of Qatar. These Arabs never really buy, this is just a marketing trick to give the impression there is some demand. Didn't such an Arab buy stock in one of those Icelandic banks that caused so much havoc in Iceland. It transpired that the Icelandic bank loaned those same Arab investors the money to buy the stock, then forgave the loan. In any other environment this practice is known as fraud.

I don't know but it sounds about right.

The whole thing is just a gigantic plate-spinning act.

Wait untill the truth comes out , which is

It has been bought by Westminster council to house an immigrant family.

I once has one of their washing machines (Candy) and it was also quite good.

- stephen, chester, 11/8/2010 8:25

:lol:

That is genius. :lol:

Its common practice in dealings with the middle east for friends to step in and buy when things don't sell to save face.

I think this is the C brothers with Qatar? If so they only need to make a call to a cousin who will buy the flat. The objective to have a trickle down effect on the other units.

This is why in these developments in North Africa and Middle east the best flats are always sold to some "VIP" but the chaff is very much on sale but the issues come later.

Maybe everything is ok but if your a real businessman do really think this is the best time to buy such a expensive flat?

+1

Nice

Edited by pajd

+1

+2 Its a regular trick by developers to pretend the penthouse has been sold. They do it to lure buyers of cheaper flats into the net. The developers actually sell the penthouse to themselves which is also very tax efficient. Once other properties are sold then the penthouse comes,suprise suprise, back onto the market. The Candy boys must think buyers are stupid. In many cases they are right.

+2 Its a regular trick by developers to pretend the penthouse has been sold. They do it to lure buyers of cheaper flats into the net. The developers actually sell the penthouse to themselves which is also very tax efficient. Once other properties are sold then the penthouse comes,suprise suprise, back onto the market. The Candy boys must think buyers are stupid. In many cases they are right.

Especially true of Admirals Point, Isle of Wight.