House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Thomas Cook Drowning In Red Ink

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/travel-group-thomas-cook-issues-profits-warning-afp-49c24bb3cdb3.html?x=0

Travel group Thomas Cook issues profits warning
10:17, Wednesday 11 August 2010
Travel firm Thomas Cook warned on Wednesday that annual profits would be at the low end of market expectations due to the uncertain trading environment in Britain and the
weaker euro
Thomas Cook sank into a loss in the third quarter of the group's financial year, it added in a results statement, citing the impact of the volcanic
ash cloud
chaos in April and the poor economic climate.
"As we enter the final quarter, it is apparent that trading in the UK business is softer than expected and, at current rates, the recent weakening of the euro will have an adverse impact on translation of our euro-based earnings," said chief executive Manny Fontenla-Novoa Lululala.

Well maybe not bird flu--but low Euro?? Surely a low Euro would boost trade. I know I put off a holiday to Europe last year because the Euro was too high. I am thinking about it this year.

Edited by Realistbear

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/travel-group-thomas-cook-issues-profits-warning-afp-49c24bb3cdb3.html?x=0

Travel firm Thomas Cook warned on Wednesday that annual profits would be at the low end of market expectations due to the uncertain trading environment in Britain and the
weaker euro
Thomas Cook sank into a loss in the third quarter of the group's financial year, it added in a results statement, citing the impact of the volcanic
ash cloud
"As we enter the final quarter, it is apparent that trading in the UK business is softer than expected and, at current rates, the recent weakening of the euro will have an adverse impact on translation of our euro-based earnings," said chief executive Manny Fontenla-Novoa Lululala.

Well maybe not bird flu--but low Euro?? Surely a low Euro would boost trade. I know I put off a holiday to Europe last year because the Euro was too high. I am thinking about it this year.

On the weak Euro point. Is this related to when there european subs send the money back to TC HQ they get less pounds for them hence lower revenuein Sterling.

On the subject of holidays I predicted this last year. When I went to europe for work with the rate at 1.1 E to £ I could not believe the prices. Ithough people would go last year get a massive shock and not bother to go anywhere near Europe for this year. Bad news for Greece, Spain et al.

weaker euro
ash cloud

Thomas Cook, going the same way as their parent Arcandor, just a matter of time, tick tock, 2 maybe 3 years max

It is interesting that about a fortnight again the BBC, on TV and on radio, had numerous reports about holiday prices shooting up as everyone - whoever they are - all decided to go on package holidays.

I listened to two different travel journos - on on News 24 and one on Fivelive - stating that the problem about booking now is that only the dross is left.

I thought "What utter ******!"

Surprise, surprise, one tabloid is leading with a story today about price cuts in holidays as companies are desperate to survive and now this story.

FUD everywhere.

I love their excuses.

The volcano, OK, I can see that, because no-one's travel insurance would pay out if they booked a holiday after Mount Unpronounceable blew and the holiday was then cancelled/curtailed/ruined because of volcanic ash.

The Euro? Maybe, although I'd like to see whether their figures for holidays to places outside the Eurozone e.g. Turkey were down as well.

But bird flu? Oh, please!

As What'isname says, job insecurity is much more like it. Not to mention deciding that putting this year's holiday on the credit card might not be such a good idea after all. Some people are waking up, I'm sure of that.

It is interesting that about a fortnight again the BBC, on TV and on radio, had numerous reports about holiday prices shooting up as everyone - whoever they are - all decided to go on package holidays.

I listened to two different travel journos - on on News 24 and one on Fivelive - stating that the problem about booking now is that only the dross is left.

I thought "What utter ******!"

Surprise, surprise, one tabloid is leading with a story today about price cuts in holidays as companies are desperate to survive and now this story.

FUD everywhere.

True, loads of FUD, but suspect that companies have re-sized the scale of their offerings and trying to get premium prices for what they have, the airlines have certainly cut back their routes, wait till this winter, need to check but the likes of Easyjet look to be slashing availability to the smaller detinations. At some point holiday numbers will match demand and there prces won't fluctuate as much.

True, loads of FUD, but suspect that companies have re-sized the scale of their offerings and trying to get premium prices for what they have, the airlines have certainly cut back their routes, wait till this winter, need to check but the likes of Easyjet look to be slashing availability to the smaller detinations. At some point holiday numbers will match demand and there prces won't fluctuate as much.

What does FUD mean?

What does FUD mean?

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

It was first implemented by IBM sales people to put fear into corporate bosses that if you do not buy the big blue's gear that your job could be on the line. Usually the sales pitch - the FUD - would be finished with the lines "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM!"... which was often then used by managers when a project went wrong. "Oh well, we bought IBM, we bought the best, the most expensive so how can it be our fault!".

Edited by The Masked Tulip

I may lose my job.

If I book a holiday I may or may not get there because the holiday company may go bust. There will be long queues at the airport and the airline may go bust or go on strike.

If the airline or holiday company goes bust then my insurance company may not pay. If one goes bust when I am on holiday I may be faced with bills from the hotel and other airlines ramping ticket prices to get me home.

Oh, and the currency has been terrible for ages.

Yes, I can see why millions are going on hols.