House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Youth Unemployment Soars 42%

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/youth-unemployment-for-two-years-or-more-soars-by-42pc-tele-d9f68b4ab0aa.html?x=0

Youth unemployment for two years or more soars by 42pc
Louisa Peacock, 10:13, Wednesday 11 August 2010
The number of young people trapped in long-term unemployment has shot up by 41.9pc in the last year, official figures out today have shown.
The total number of 18 to 24-year-olds out of work for two years or more rose to 72,000 in the three months to June, up 11pc on the previous quarter, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The figures will add to fears that the UK labour market is increasingly shutting out younger workers, leading to a lost generation of people.

So we can now add "youthless recovereh" to the recovery.

Next year will be the 30th since the Toxeth riot...............this winter will be hard.........by next Jan the inflation will be running free................Long Hot Summer ?

Mike

Next year will be the 30th since the Toxeth riot...............this winter will be hard.........by next Jan the inflation will be running free................Long Hot Summer ?

Mike

Well, the banksters are asking for a bit of a backlash with their 25% increase in bonuses. Best to blame those who were behind the collapse. Haven't heard much from Brown lately have we?

I really don't think we can blame the Koalishon other than to draw attention to the fact that they, apart from Vince, stood idly by as HPI raged and debt piled high.

There are a lot more than 72,000 18-24 year olds who have been out of work for at least 2 years. That's only about 1% of that age group. Having known some in my own age group, I'd say the real number could be five or even ten times that. Unsurprisingly the government doesn't try very hard to accurately count and report the number of young people sat at home with nothing to do. It's like when the USSR stopped publishing infant mortality statistics in the 1970s because the number was relentlessly creeping up. It was a sign that the end was near.

I really don't think we can blame the Koalishon other than to draw attention to the fact that they, apart from Vince, stood idly by as HPI raged and debt piled high.

I'll believe the Coalition are serious about economic reform when I see them say "no" the next time the banks ask for more help. I'm not holding my breath.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/youth-unemployment-for-two-years-or-more-soars-by-42pc-tele-d9f68b4ab0aa.html?x=0

The number of young people trapped in long-term unemployment has shot up by 41.9pc in the last year, official figures out today have shown.
The total number of 18 to 24-year-olds out of work for two years or more rose to 72,000 in the three months to June, up 11pc on the previous quarter, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The figures will add to fears that the UK labour market is increasingly shutting out younger workers, leading to a lost generation of people.

Without the NMW* and a lot of other red tape, I would imagine a lot of these young, eager workers would find jobs to do. I suppose those with jobs would be worried about their salaries falling though, through cheap competition.

* Not that it will ever be removed... it would be like 'Thatcher the milk snatcher' all over again! :rolleyes:

Edited by Traktion

Without the NMW* and a lot of other red tape, I would imagine a lot of these young, eager workers would find jobs to do. I suppose those with jobs would be worried about their salaries falling though, through cheap competition.

* Not that it will ever be removed... it would be like 'Thatcher the milk snatcher' all over again! :rolleyes:

Some would think with a post like that, you're indicating that most 18-25 year olds are not worth NMW!?!

Good job most will realise it isn't as simple as that. I'm on the fence regarding NMW, however it's here and here to stay so probably best to get used to the idea and move on. Unless we get massive deflation of course, the only politically acceptable way of removing it imho.

Well, the banksters are asking for a bit of a backlash with their 25% increase in bonuses. Best to blame those who were behind the collapse. Haven't heard much from Brown lately have we?

That is indeed what they did - it would have hurt their second home (and other home) swindles they had on the go - members of all parties were at it.

We may have too many Chavaliers in this country which has created a massive sub-culture of laziness.

IMO free milk (unhealthy as it is) for all, regardless of income, is a stupid as child benefit for all--even the rich.

Maggie should not have stopped with "free" milk but hit child benefit too. US system is best where you claim "deductions" for each child under 18 that is dependent on you.

We may have too many Chavaliers in this country which has created a massive sub-culture of laziness.

IMO free milk (unhealthy as it is) for all, regardless of income, is a stupid as child benefit for all--even the rich.

Maggie should not have stopped with "free" milk but hit child benefit too. US system is best where you claim "deductions" for each child under 18 that is dependent on you.

You don't think it better to not have been taxed in the first place then?

Edited by Minos

We all know why youth unemployment is on the increase. When I was 19 back in the mid 1990s I could walk up the local agency and find flexible on/off work. I done this for one year before going to uni. Kids now are simply priced out by foreign economic migrants. The agencies recruit in Poland for Christ's sake! Skilled trade? Why train some kid when you get get a qualified foreigner to do the job for the same money!? They have no chance!

Global capitalism / neo liberalismi instigated by Thatcher and continued by Brown has screwed this country. Blame the capitalist classes- the bankers who pursue accumulation by dispossession, the cheerleaders in the media who refuse to recognize a problem and the apathy of the British people. seems irrelevant what the people want nowadays as the top three parties in the voting system refuse to give us anything near democracy or what they promise at election. we need a revolution.

We all know why youth unemployment is on the increase. When I was 19 back in the mid 1990s I could walk up the local agency and find flexible on/off work. I done this for one year before going to uni. Kids now are simply priced out by foreign economic migrants. The agencies recruit in Poland for Christ's sake! Skilled trade? Why train some kid when you get get a qualified foreigner to do the job for the same money!? They have no chance!

Global capitalism / neo liberalismi instigated by Thatcher and continued by Brown has screwed this country. Blame the capitalist classes- the bankers who pursue accumulation by dispossession, the cheerleaders in the media who refuse to recognize a problem and the apathy of the British people. seems irrelevant what the people want nowadays as the top three parties in the voting system refuse to give us anything near democracy or what they promise at election. we need a revolution.

+1 bang on the money..

Global competition for labour wouldn't be such a problem if the cost of living was allowed to deflate here at the same rate as the jobs were leaving. There's nothing special about Chinese and Polish people, they've got hands and feet same as the rest of us, difference is they come from countries where the cost of living is much lower than it is here. Market forces will always find a way eventually so I don't think the solution is tariffs and quotas, the best solution is to allow the cost of living in the UK to fall until there's actually a point in employing British people again. Sadly our elite considers deflation to be the ultimate evil, perhaps because they realise (consciously or not) that if the winners are British workers, the losers will be British rentiers. They seem determined to keep pumping more and more cheap money in to keep the cost of living inflated, same as they have been doing for the past 30 years, irrespective of the real pain it is causing to their own people. Now that's evil.

Global competition for labour wouldn't be such a problem if the cost of living was allowed to deflate here at the same rate as the jobs were leaving. There's nothing special about Chinese and Polish people, they've got hands and feet same as the rest of us, difference is they come from countries where the cost of living is much lower than it is here. Market forces will always find a way eventually so I don't think the solution is tariffs and quotas, the best solution is to allow the cost of living in the UK to fall until there's actually a point in employing British people again. Sadly our elite considers deflation to be the ultimate evil, perhaps because they realise (consciously or not) that if the winners are British workers, the losers will be British rentiers. They seem determined to keep pumping more and more cheap money in to keep the cost of living inflated, same as they have been doing for the past 30 years, irrespective of the real pain it is causing to their own people. Now that's evil.

Agreed, but the controllers would still pursue the economic migrant route just to kick the boot in. In many areas it is the migrant labour itself that has outrpiced local living costs due to increased living density over and above any acceptable level that a normal working family couldd endure.

Not much short of treason what has gone on.

Edited by OnlyMe

I take it in you've managed to miss the replacement of NMW entry level positions with Apprenticeships paying £95 p/w for a 37.5 hr week and the surge in unpaid internships. I saw one the other day (at a council) for a graduate with a specific degree, 51 weeks full time, unpaid except for a possible £3k bursary.

Edited by rented

There are a lot more than 72,000 18-24 year olds who have been out of work for at least 2 years. That's only about 1% of that age group. Having known some in my own age group, I'd say the real number could be five or even ten times that. Unsurprisingly the government doesn't try very hard to accurately count and report the number of young people sat at home with nothing to do. It's like when the USSR stopped publishing infant mortality statistics in the 1970s because the number was relentlessly creeping up. It was a sign that the end was near.

Was long-term unemployment always considered to be after 2 years? Bet the number out of work for one year plus is pretty bad if they're choosing to quote the number after two.

Edited by rented

The would-be FTB's - If only they had a job, a deposit, could get a mortgage...

Give them a mortgage anyway. I believe its been done before, & not so very long ago.

One of the youths, Yosser Hughes, was seen wandering the streets saying "Gi us a mortgage" every time he passed a house that looked like it didn't contain a council tenant.

Edited by Laura

The way I see it is that these are our own kids that are being sold out and people in the UK are not even acknowledging the problem. The point is this has not been done overnight it's like the controllers have a ratchet and they are slowly tightening it until we are are poor as the people in Poland that you speak of, Dorkins. During the 1990s I remember my parents being opposed to job agencies this was forgotten, during the 1980s the power of the unions and the workers was smashed, this power held by the workers was forgotten. Too much power is in the hands of the financiers and the capitalist classes mainly because of what happened under Thatcher asnd continued under Labour.

It would be naive to assume that the problem can be solved by a UK government if they done x,y,z because the problem is a global one, but it would be a good start. Ponder the fact though that capitalism requires 3% Growth year on year. This is why we continue to cut our own throats to reach this 3% growth target regardless of the consequences.

Slowly but surely our living standards will drop to the level of our Polish cousins.

Edited by workhou

Surely they could work for free to gain experience etc. Young people just need to realize this then they can offer themselves to whomever wants to train/ use & abuse them. I can see the IOD rubbing their hands together already.

This is a perfect example of employers being very short-sighted! Youths can't get work because..... nobody wants to employ an inexperienced person.

Need money? ... BORROW! Saving is bad!

Need an employee? ... get one "off the shelf" with experience! Don't bother with a person who is desperate to prove themselves ... sod them! :)

Edited by Home_To_Roost

The way I see it is that these are our own kids that are being sold out and people in the UK are not even acknowledging the problem. The point is this has not been done overnight it's like the controllers have a ratchet and they are slowly tightening it until we are are poor as the people in Poland that you speak of, Dorkins.

People in Poland are probably not as 'poor' as you think. Somebody who earns enough to comfortably cover their living expenses is in a different category to somebody who is constantly living right at the edge. UK savings rates are among the lowest in the world and our personal debts relative to incomes are astronomical. I'm not saying Poland has no economic problems, I'm sure it does, but would it be so terrible for British people to accept a slightly lower standard of living in exchange for greater security? What is the point of filling your house with fancy gadgets and brand new fittings if you are never there to enjoy it because it takes two full time workers to pay the bills?

The "controllers" have driven up the cost of living by offering British people more and more credit over the last 30 years: credit cards, personal loans, student loans, MEW, 4x joint income mortgages etc. The British people could have said no at any point, but they didn't. They can drive interest rates as low as they like, but if people have an aversion to debt they won't want to borrow money at any price. I think we are just arriving at that point now, where the "controllers" discover that if you push the easy money button too often and for too long, eventually it stops working.

People in Poland are probably not as 'poor' as you think. Somebody who earns enough to comfortably cover their living expenses is in a different category to somebody who is constantly living right at the edge. UK savings rates are among the lowest in the world and our personal debts relative to incomes are astronomical. I'm not saying Poland has no economic problems, I'm sure it does, but would it be so terrible for British people to accept a slightly lower standard of living in exchange for greater security? What is the point of filling your house with fancy gadgets and brand new fittings if you are never there to enjoy it because it takes two full time workers to pay the bills?

The "controllers" have driven up the cost of living by offering British people more and more credit over the last 30 years: credit cards, personal loans, student loans, MEW, 4x joint income mortgages etc. The British people could have said no at any point, but they didn't. They can drive interest rates as low as they like, but if people have an aversion to debt they won't want to borrow money at any price. I think we are just arriving at that point now, where the "controllers" discover that if you push the easy money button too often and for too long, eventually it stops working.

The controllers have gone way (maybe even decades) beyond the point whether the push the debt button effectively destroyed the propoer functioning of the economy, like you say all it needs now is for people to reliase where they have ben shoved. It is not a nice place.

Slowly but surely our living standards will drop to the level of our Polish cousins.

Gordat Brown: Cultural Learnings of World for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Ingerland!

borat1.jpg

Didn't you say on another thread that you were an English teacher? :unsure:

2nd time I've seen that in one of your posts.

Now I expect I'll get replies saying bloody pedant, who the feck cares, nobody gives a toss nowadays.

Weird as it may seem to the couldn't-give-a-feck-ers, quite a lot of employers still do.

Saw an article the other day quoting several large companies (inc. Waitrose) who are struggling to fill graduate posts because so many (Brit) applicants' English is not up to scratch.

By the companies' reasoning, if they can't even be bothered to get it right on their CVs, it doesn't say a lot for their attitude.