House Price Crash Forum

Inflation Anecdotals?

Kyoto

HOLA441

Is anyone else starting to notice higher prices - particularly over the last 2 - 3 months?

I don't buy petrol or have a large food bill, so haven't really been impacted by these, but some of the other discretionary things I buy are really starting to make me do a double take.

Examples include:

Average posh sandwich £3.30 > £4

New release DVD £14.99 > £18.99

Mid range clothing e.g. Ted Baker Jumper £55 > £70

Cinema for two > £15 > £21

All of the above are clearly luxuries, they vary, and are completely discretionary, so let's not argue about the specific figures. However, the specific prices are there to make a point that inflation is really feeling apparent in the discretionary mig-range sector.

What are your experiences?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

No anecdotals as I am not in the country at the moment and rarely shop when I am there - that's the wife's job.

But I do have facts and they show that the measure of inflation, CPIY, that excludes the effects of indirect taxation has fallen from over 5% in 2008 to only 1.6% in June and most of that increase is due to rises in transport costs i.e. petrol.

And that is in the face of a large devaluation in sterling. As austerity starts and deleveraging continues I expect us to be at 0% soon enough.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

My daily can of red bull at the petrol station has gone up from £1.29 last november to £1.79 now. Enough is enough so I've started bulk buying tescos own brand clone which is only 30p B) .

So in fact, strong deflation there as you switched to a much cheaper equivalent. Good old hedonic adjustment!

Amazingly, that's the way that they actually calculate the official stats. No wonder official figures so rarely correlate with personal experience of strongly rising prices.

By the way, offer on in Tesco at the minute - 8 cans of Red Bull for a fiver ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

When consumers curtail spending and start saving dear things will have to get cheaper or rot on the shelves.

That is, apart from the "must haves:' bread, water, leccy, beans, cabbages, McVities Biscuits, milk and Glen Morangie.

Clothing--I have enough to last a few years and I only buy shoes when I visit the US (Rockports for $40 or less at outlets).

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

When consumers curtail spending and start saving dear things will have to get cheaper or rot on the shelves.

Or they will simply not be produced ... or exported somewhere else in the world where people will pay more for them. Don't assume that producers will continue to produce and sell at any price to the impoverished UK population.

That is, apart from the "must haves:' bread, water, leccy, beans, cabbages, McVities Biscuits, milk and Glen Morangie.

Clothing--I have enough to last a few years and I only buy shoes when I visit the US (Rockports for $40 or less at outlets).

Stagflation has long been predicted here.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

High inflation is nothing new - for years I could never reconcile the increase in prices against the Government stated inflation. Everything I bought always seemed to go up 5-10% per year but the official inflation rate was 2-3%. Then I realised the true rate of inflation is 5-10% - the Government are just understating it.

HOLA4417

I still have a receit in the kitchen from a shop i did in asda 27/03/09, just doing a quick comparrison using asdas website.

Bread has gone up slightly, beans are the same, porridge down 1pence, jam is the same, pasta sauce down 1pence, tinned potatoes up 3pence, spaghetti is the same, soup is the same, sardines up 10 pence, noodles down 2pence.

Pity i didn't buy any tuna but i'm sure the price of that has gone through the roof, hard to get the chicken breast fillets aswell as they allways get snapped up quick, the cheap ones, i need to start using the website to buy my shopping i guess.

Edited by fatsam

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Funny that we are still experiencing inflation when credit has been deflating for a while and incomes are not growing but shrinking. I think lots of businesses have put up prices to combat slower sales. You would expect greece to experience low inflation after the massive cutbacks and market reforms coming in. Inflation went up to almost 5% this year. It shows the market is still not very competitive and lower sales are being offset by higher prices.

For retail prices to come down we need the following:

* Significantly lower rents on commercial property in the high street.

* Wages to come down.

* Death of brand power - things will get that bad that we will not pay £70 for a Ted Baker, and we all go to Primark or Matalan. Forget the £4 pret a manger sandwich, you have your own one.

With food essentials going up due to poor harvests elsewhere the retail sector will have to give eventually.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Funny that we are still experiencing inflation when credit has been deflating for a while and incomes are not growing but shrinking.

That's because there's a widely held myth that inflation is exclusively paired with economic growth and likewise deflation with recession.

If you are heavily dependent on imports and you debase your currency of course you'll stoke inflationary price pressures irrespective of whether or not your economy is doing well.

Besides it doesn't matter whether or not overall money supply is growing or shrinking (due to bank credit lessening) when it comes to buying day to day essentials - you'll pay what you have to in order to get them. If supply drops off because the producers have stopped making them (e.g. they have gone bust or find it more profitable to devote capacity to other production) or are selling their produce to people in another country who can afford to pay more (because your currency has tanked for example) then prices will go up.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Subway sub of the day has gone from £1.99 to £2.29.

Whats that, about 15%?

Hehe - I always get the Veggie Delight at Subways, has been £1.99 for ages and I keep £2 in my pocket to avoid getting purse out of handbag etc.

One day the girl says £2.29 and I reply: WHOA that's gone up 15% to which she replies: Wow, you're the first one to notice that.

On the one hand it's only 30p, on the other it's 15% - and it's across the board. We used to bulk buy Heinz soups for quick dinner days but then they jumped from 55p to 80p, up over 20% in one smooth move. Needless to say, Heinz is only on the menu when the supermarkets do special offers like 6 for £3 now - the cheek!

Every trip to the supermarket leaves me baffled at how much it's gone up. It's nigh impossible to leave without paying £10, the usual basket is nearer to £20 now. I think I'll have to bite the bullet, start getting more organized and do a big bulk buy once a week trying to avoid the supermarket for the remainder of the week. This would probably save me at least £30 a week (which would be great since I'm on a mini salary).

Ceinwyn :)

HOLA4425