House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ricky_FTB

Self Build Mortgages

Any body know who exactly provides these mortgages now? I remember at the end of last year nationwide provided a self build mortgage which appealed to me at the time, but it seems to have been withdrawn now & im having difficulties finding many other suppliers of such mortgages (from a quick look on t'interweb)!

Its an option which i would be seriously interested in now and I would only be looking to borrow 2 or 3 x my salary or so. Cant see much on BOI, halifax or ulster bank websites.

Any body know who exactly provides these mortgages now? I remember at the end of last year nationwide provided a self build mortgage which appealed to me at the time, but it seems to have been withdrawn now & im having difficulties finding many other suppliers of such mortgages (from a quick look on t'interweb)!

Its an option which i would be seriously interested in now and I would only be looking to borrow 2 or 3 x my salary or so. Cant see much on BOI, halifax or ulster bank websites.

Try Buildstore.

http://www.buildstore.co.uk/finance/acceleratorhome.html

we got ours with standard life about 6 years ago

my tip - have a decent cash fund to start bankrolling the project; the bank normally only lends the first portion at the founds stage iirc

Thanks for everybody's input. I made a few enquiries today and found that halifax and progressive also still provide self build mortgages, in case anyone else is interested.

I have been discussing a project with Northern Bank recently, they offer self build mortgages although they don't seem to advertise them. They have been reasonable to deal with and seem to take a very risk averse/sensible approach to things (from their point of view and yours).

If you give their mortgage centre a call they will be happy to discuss and their rates for financing the project are very reasonable (4.35% variable, but you can refinance to a fixed rate with any lender you like once you complete the project - no redemption fees).

I believe Bank of Ireland can also offer self-build financing but their rates were slightly higher.

Edited by Smell the Fear