House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mollyholly

Help Please! Advice About Commuting From Swindon To Bristol/swindon To London

Evening all!

Not sure whether this is the appropriate board to post it, But I am still giving it a go!

Situation:

Wife works in Bristol city centre and I started a new job in East London (Money is too good to refuse).

Now we both still want to live in the west( near country side, safer, quieter,etc)

we are looking for places around swindon area,

so wife can drive to bristol to work, while I can start the commuting nightmare on the train and tubes.

My questions are:

Any opinons on Wootton Basset, is it a nice villiage to live in? does it have good schools for the children (none yet but planning to start a family in1-2years time, is it easy to drive to Swindon train station?

What about the area of stratton st magratte?

Any other villiages you would recommend?

Our budget is around 300-320k.

Many thanks for your time.

Molly holly

Evening all!

Not sure whether this is the appropriate board to post it, But I am still giving it a go!

Situation:

Wife works in Bristol city centre and I started a new job in East London (Money is too good to refuse).

Now we both still want to live in the west( near country side, safer, quieter,etc)

so wife can drive to bristol to work, while I can start the commuting nightmare on the train and tubes.

My questions are:

Any opinons on Wootton Basset, is it a nice villiage to live in? does it have good schools for the children (none yet but planning to start a family in1-2years time, is it easy to drive to Swindon train station?

Molly holly

Check the train ticket price from Swindon to East London. Astronomical doesn't cover it. Only feasible if company pays travel expenses. Timewise it is feasible by train (over 4h return trip though - 2h+ each way).

As for doing it by car - daily? It's a hard hard slog, it's 30mins fast drive Swindon to Reading in no traffic, figure an hour in peak time (ie any time after 7am). Reading-M25 another 40-45 mins at peak. Train from there - Uxbridge? - figure an hour to East London, stopping at every lamp post. It will be unreliable due to traffic & crap trains and you'll be late as often as you are on time.

My advice (as someone who has done it) your wife should stick to Bristol, get a room near your work east London, off peak train or bus through sunday night, try to get friday working at home. Swindon is a boring dormitory town and the villages around are (mainly) pretty soulless unless you have an emotional connection to the place (family and a reason to be there).

IMO daily commute by car from Swindon to London isn't sane or sensible.

Check the train ticket price from Swindon to East London. Astronomical doesn't cover it. Only feasible if company pays travel expenses. Timewise it is feasible by train (over 4h return trip though - 2h+ each way).

As for doing it by car - daily? It's a hard hard slog, it's 30mins fast drive Swindon to Reading in no traffic, figure an hour in peak time (ie any time after 7am). Reading-M25 another 40-45 mins at peak. Train from there - Uxbridge? - figure an hour to East London, stopping at every lamp post. It will be unreliable due to traffic & crap trains and you'll be late as often as you are on time.

My advice (as someone who has done it) your wife should stick to Bristol, get a room near your work east London, off peak train or bus through sunday night, try to get friday working at home. Swindon is a boring dormitory town and the villages around are (mainly) pretty soulless unless you have an emotional connection to the place (family and a reason to be there).

IMO daily commute by car from Swindon to London isn't sane or sensible.

Thanks a lot!

Renting a room near work is what I am doing now, only 10 mins walk to work.

Thanks a lot!

Renting a room near work is what I am doing now, only 10 mins walk to work.

Wootton Basset is ok, not brilliant but not bad either. To travel into town at peak time to get to the train station can take a long time, 30-40 minutes.

If you're travelling in early (6-7) will take you 10 minutes.

It's good for motorway travelling as you are literally 1-2 miles from the M4

Wroughton is supposed to nice too and has a decent school

Evening all!

Situation:

My questions are:

Molly holly

http://www.globrix.com/property-details/23828619-old_manor_gardens-kemble-cirencester-gloucestershire-gl7-3_bed-semi_detached_house?from_results=1&hit=4

Plus rent a room near work.

Begin salting money away somewhere for your divorce if you do this for more than 18 months.

http://www.globrix.com/property-details/23828619-old_manor_gardens-kemble-cirencester-gloucestershire-gl7-3_bed-semi_detached_house?from_results=1&hit=4

Begin salting money away somewhere for your divorce if you do this for more than 18 months.

Thank you guys! Now I definitely not having the idea of commuting no more.

Monthly season ticket circa £650 pm.

Old town/Wroughton looks nice,

is this area chav free? Is it near country side?

My other option now is my wife moves with me to London, and I noticed that it is even harder to find a nice place there.

My ideal house location:

Near country side

Chav free

Good School

Easy link to other transportation

Reasonably priced

I don't think I can find one on this planet now. :lol:

My other option now is my wife moves with me to London, and I noticed that it is even harder to find a nice place there.

My ideal house location:

Near country side

Chav free

Good School

Reasonably priced

My ideal house location:

Near country side

Chav free

Good School

Reasonably priced

The reason I posted the house in Kemble is that plenty of people commute to London from there (It's 1h 20mins to Paddington)

It's in the country, nice Cotswold stone houses, schools in Cirencester are quite good, there are nice pubs, it's nice. Very very quiet, but nice. Personally, I wouldn't do what you're proposing, if I had to have that job I'd live in Bristol or London near a park, at least one of you needn't live commuter hell.

For chav-free you must leave the UK.

The reason I posted the house in Kemble is that plenty of people commute to London from there (It's 1h 20mins to Paddington)

It's in the country, nice Cotswold stone houses, schools in Cirencester are quite good, there are nice pubs, it's nice. Very very quiet, but nice. Personally, I wouldn't do what you're proposing, if I had to have that job I'd live in Bristol or London near a park, at least one of you needn't live commuter hell.

For chav-free you must leave the UK.

:P

My questions are:

Wootton Basset? Bargepole!!!

Commuting Swindon-Bristol would work at a pinch: it's 40 minutes on the train (I used to do Bath-Swindon; the 25 minutes twice a day were just right for learning my lines when in a show). Anywhere-London is worse, and if it's east London you have to get there from Paddington. If you're happy taking a folding bike on the train then it might just be feasible, but I'd draw the line at taking train+tube on a regular basis.

Swindon station has (or had - it's been a while) one big advantage: a decent pub just outside it. Most days I'd time it right to get from the office with not more than a minute wait-time, but sometimes I'd have a wait there, and the pub made that an altogether more pleasant experience. But I guess that's not so useful when it's home rather than work.

One of the posters above mentioned Kemble.

Very nice little village and quiet, amd with a train station too. Much much nicer than Wootton Bassett.

It is quite far out to commute to London EVERY DAY (or it would be for me).

It's inbetween Malmesbury & Cirencester which are both lovely towns (though no town in Britain is CHAV-FREE).