House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

House Prices & The Economy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/fromthewebteam/2010/08/tuesday_10_august_2010.html

I am just heading off out the door for an interview with John Lewis. That is, an interview in which I get to ask the managing director about the state of the British economy (although there is no saying I wont see a career departure into retail in the fullness of time). Personally, I would like to ask him why, in this day and age, it takes them three weeks to deliver a new washing machine. But in the interests of drawing a line between the professional and the domestically mundane, I may leave that - as my editor delicately suggested - for off camera.

Instead, we shall focus on our new series - Britain's Bosses. At a time when there is concern over the possibility of a double dip recession, and the Bank of England looks set to revise its growth figures downwards I shall ask him what he makes of the austerity measures of the new government, and how badly the high street will be hit by the forthcoming VAT rise.

Civil servants at one department faced the sharp end of those austerity measures today - with the Ministry of Justice telling its staff to prepare themselves for £2bn of cuts. The unions say it will mean 15,000 of the 80,000 staff at the MoJ could be at risk of losing their jobs. We'll have the details.

Also tonight, from the coalition that fights for civil liberties comes a new idea. A snooper fraud detective agency. David Cameron has made clear he wants to cut down on benefit fraud and may turn to the services of private sector companies and credit rating agencies - paying them for the number of fraudsters they detect. How easily does that sit with ideas of small government and big inclusive society?

And an extraordinary film from Gabriel Gatehouse in Iraq. Five months after parliamentary elections and with no government in sight, could a Sunni militia hold the key to Iraq's security problem?

Join me if you can at 10.30pm on BBC Two.

Emily

From earlier:

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors says house prices are starting to fall and the Bank of England is expected to revise down its GDP growth forecast on Wednesday. We'll be hearing from MD of John Lewis, Andy Street, and we'll be reporting on the US Federal Reserve's decision on whether to give the go-ahead for more quantitative easing.

We've got a film from Gabriel Gatehouse, who has been speaking to the leaders of Iraq's Sunni Sahwa militia. They tell him the country's current political stalemate and recent attacks on fighters could drive some back into insurgency.

We'll also be looking at government plans to give credit rating firms a bigger role in tackling the £5.2bn annual cost of benefit cheats and overpayments.

More detail later.

Also tonight, from the coalition that fights for civil liberties comes a new idea. A snooper fraud detective agency. David Cameron has made clear he wants to cut down on benefit fraud and may turn to the services of private sector companies and credit rating agencies -

...the BBC and her 'trendy leftie' leanings spinning through by using a tainted approach to the subject... which is in fact a positive solution ...civil liberties should not be at the expense of bankrupting the country....... :rolleyes:

...the BBC and her 'trendy leftie' leanings spinning through by using a tainted approach to the subject... which is in fact a positive solution ...civil liberties should not be at the expense of bankrupting the country....... :rolleyes:

Freedom > fantasy.

..or trapped in a room with Emily Maitlis & Kirsty Wark..

Poor fcuker - a fate worse than a fate worse than death. If locked in a room with one of them, anyway.