House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom Boom

Gm Cracks The Electric Car, But Will Launch It Into A Consumer Slump

It's a real shame that the first viable electrically driven saloon car will struggle to find buyers. The GM volt is a very solid offering, and the price is much lower than many predicted, but with corporations seemingly hell bent on impoverishing their consumer base, it's going to struggle to find buyers.

It's a real shame that the first viable electrically driven saloon car will struggle to find buyers. The GM volt is a very solid offering, and the price is much lower than many predicted, but with corporations seemingly hell bent on impoverishing their consumer base, it's going to struggle to find buyers.

Range of 40 miles on battery and then switches to gas engine. Selling/leasing them by offering cheap credit?

Generally Moribund.

Range of 40 miles on battery and then switches to gas engine. Selling/leasing them by offering cheap credit?

Generally Moribund.

at least with Volkswagen...the owners name is in the brand.

Had a quick look on the website and the car seems quite good. Albeit it still needs regular fuel or they recommend using premium fuel (whatever that is). The price is fairly steep though. Its rrp is $41,000 which could get you a nice 5L V8 Ford Mustang GT and still have some change. Know which one i would buy if i had the money.

Generally Moribund.

You're showing your ignorance. The car always runs on its electric motor, a small petrol driven generator kicks in after 40 miles to provide an additional 250m+ range. Something like 80% of commutes in the USA are under 40 miles as a round trip, the figure is probably even higher in the UK. As a result for most people the petrol generator will seldom kick in, and when it does because electric motors are so much more efficient you get a much higher effective MPG.

Had a quick look on the website and the car seems quite good. Albeit it still needs regular fuel or they recommend using premium fuel (whatever that is). The price is fairly steep though. Its rrp is $41,000 which could get you a nice 5L V8 Ford Mustang GT and still have some change. Know which one i would buy if i had the money.

$7500 government subsidy to deduct from that price. As for the mustang, it's hardly a family car is it? Compared to a entry level BMW 5 door it compares very well indeed.

Generally Moribund.

Not quite. The drivetrain is all-electric so the wheels are never driven by the internal combustion engine; instead it's used like a simple electricity generator. That means it can run at a steady rpm which is the most efficient way to run an IC engine.

So the overall range is more like a normal car, but for day to day commuting (< 40 miles/day) it will only need recharging at home overnight.

It makes more sense to me than the hybrid drive in a Prius. Economy 7 motoring?

$7500 government subsidy to deduct from that price. As for the mustang, it's hardly a family car is it? Compared to a entry level BMW 5 door it compares very well indeed.

Lets not forget the $1m debt per car the US Government has swept under the carpet....

The subsidy is only for the first 200,000 buyers (if they even manage to sell that many). The mustang probably wasnt a good car to compare it to, but compared to the bog standard 5 door family saloons from the leading manufacturers its very expensive even with the subsidy. The battery does 40 miles on a charge and then needs to charge for between 4-10 hours and, although i cannot see anything about its performance on the website, im sure the car will be fairly gutless under electric power. I appreciate that the techonological advnacement is a major step in the right direction but i dont think this car is gonna be the one to change the face of motoring.

You're showing your ignorance. The car always runs on its electric motor, a small petrol driven generator kicks in after 40 miles to provide an additional 250m+ range. Something like 80% of commutes in the USA are under 40 miles as a round trip, the figure is probably even higher in the UK. As a result for most people the petrol generator will seldom kick in, and when it does because electric motors are so much more efficient you get a much higher effective MPG.

It still switches to a gas engine - one that is the same as the Cruze, didn't even bother releasing this model with an engine designed for the purpose. So you carry around extra weight and complexity for little benefit. May as well get an ultra-efficient diesel and save tens of thoussands on the buying price (well it would be 10,000's if not for the govt bung).

Still reckon they'll get hammered by the competition.

Edited by OnlyMe

Generally Moribund.

:huh:

The first Motorola mobile phone cost around $4000 apparently.

The avge. commute in the UK is 7 miles - perfect!

The govt. subsidy is roughly = VAT.

Let's get them on the road and see what happens. Can't be worse than having to occupy the entire middle east and central Asia forever.

Generally Moribund.

should have the petrol/gas engine powering the electric bit then...just supersize the alternator.

simples.

....and way more range.

Let's get them on the road and see what happens. Can't be worse than having to occupy the entire middle east and central Asia forever.

7 miles - say each way - 14 miles, 5 days a week - 70 miles. MPG of efficient car - 35mpg - 2 gallons a week, £500 odd pounds a year. Paying £40,000 ( UK price would be same as US most likely) you'd never get your money back even with free electricity.

All electric (accepting restrictions) or a combined unit way cheaper than this is needed to make economic sense.

Edited by OnlyMe

7 miles - say each way - 14 miles, 5 days a week - 70 miles. MPG of efficient car - 35mpg - 2 gallons a week, £500 odd pounds a year. Paying £40,000 ( UK price would be same as US most likely) you'd never get your money back even with free electricity.

All electric (accepting restrictions) or a combined unit way cheaper than this is needed to make economic sense.

My daily commute is about about 7 miles each way and my car averages at nearly (not quite) 35mpg.

I spend well over £500 on fuel every year. Twice that would be optimistic. In the meantime plenty of people think it's normal to commute three or four times the distance I do.

I suspect in five years from now the UK, and most of europe, will have adapted technology like this while most of Americaland will still merrily be running V8s.

My daily commute is about about 7 miles each way and my car averages at nearly (not quite) 35mpg.

I spend well over £500 on fuel every year. Twice that would be optimistic. In the meantime plenty of people think it's normal to commute three or four times the distance I do.

I suspect in five years from now the UK, and most of europe, will have adapted technology like this while most of Americaland will still merrily be running V8s.

Technology like this maybe, but not this car at $40K from this company, dubious to no benefit.

GM haven't cracked the electric car. For a viable electric car, needs some alternative thinking, not another one ton overcoat driven by an electric motor (which needs batteries so it becomes a two ton overcoat). Something very light, streamlined probably like a small car crossed with a push bike maybe!

Edited by Sir John Steed

GM haven't cracked the electric car. For a viable electric car, needs some alternative thinking, not another one ton overcoat driven by an electric motor (which needs batteries so it becomes a two ton overcoat). Something very light, streamlined probably like a small car crossed with a push bike maybe!

Is that you, Sir Clive?

Technology like this maybe, but not this car at $40K from this company, dubious to no benefit.

If they could increase the mileage on a single charge and slash that hefty price tag then it could become a winner. Maybe The Volt Mark II or III might become a mass market seller. I am not sure that a 5 door family saloon was the best choice of car to showcase this technology. I wouldnt be surprised to see similar technology appearing in a small Micra-sized european or asian car. A smaller car would give it the better mileage and lower price and would make it an excellent car if it was primarily used just for nipping around town.

The pinacle of electric automobile technology and it was being used yeasr ago :)

3490184787_ecf116bc7e.jpg

If they could increase the mileage on a single charge and slash that hefty price tag then it could become a winner. Maybe The Volt Mark II or III might become a mass market seller. I am not sure that a 5 door family saloon was the best choice of car to showcase this technology. I wouldnt be surprised to see similar technology appearing in a small Micra-sized european or asian car. A smaller car would give it the better mileage and lower price and would make it an excellent car if it was primarily used just for nipping around town.

Yes, but it is none of those, and that is the point. It is a dog's dinner tarpmobile. There are loads of companies in the procecss of producing alternatives and one or two of those migt be very good.

Edited by OnlyMe

And the electricity is generated how exactly?

And the electricity is generated how exactly?

The average commute is 7 miles (as has been pointed out) at perhaps an average speed of 20-30 mph. That doesn't require a one ton overcoat, capable of 100+ mph.

Edited by Sir John Steed

exactly.

and any good diesel engine will get you 55 mpg+

Is that you, Sir Clive?

The C5 would fail even harder now than it did when it was launched, and for the same reason.

It was a deathtrap.

You couldn't legally take it on the path, and on the road it was too low for cars to see it.