House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

£4 A Pint Looms Amid Soaring Barley Prices And Vat Rise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/aug/09/beer

The pub price of a pint of beer, which has doubled in the last 19 years, looks set to climb further next year as poor barley harvests in Eastern Europe and export controls imposed by Russia threaten to hit brewers while they are forced to push through VAT and duty rises.

The average cost of a pint of draught lager was £1.40 in 1991 but rose to £2.81 last year, according to the Office for National Statistics figures analysed by the British Beer & Pub Assocation – an increase of 68% ahead of inflation.

The latest pressure on beer prices follows a dramatic rise in the cost of barley which has seen animal-feed quality barley more than double in price in two months, reaching €210 (£175) a tonne. Most brewers buy barley between a year and 18 months ahead of time, so high prices would have to persist before they fed through to the drinkers at the bar.

Nevertheless, fears of a squeeze on supply have hit shares in some of the largest multinational beer groups. Carlsberg, which has a strong presence in Russia and Eastern Europe, saw shares slide 6% in the last two trading sessions of last week.

Shares in Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world's largest brewer with brands including Budweiser and Stella Artois, slipped 5% over the same period. London-listed SABMiller, the world's number two, and Heineken, the UK's largest brewer, dropped 3% and 5% respectively, regaining some ground today.

The former Soviet states are estimated to satisfy about half the 16.9m-tonne global market for feed barley in a normal year, though low-nitrogen barley, preferred by brewers, is largely sourced from northern Europe, Canada, Argentina and Australia. Nevertheless, brewing insiders acknowledged that sharp price increases across a spread of grain commodities, if sustained, was likely to push up malted barley costs by next year.

I hope Mystic Merv is going to take a pint out of the inflation figures.

Looks like we can't even afford to drown our sorrows now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/aug/09/beer

I hope Mystic Merv is going to take a pint out of the inflation figures.

Looks like we can't even afford to drown our sorrows now.

I brew my own beer from the raw ingredients barley malt, water, yeast and hops. I pay about ten times the cost as a commercial brewer for ingredients (energy costs are the same for the mashing and boiling etc.)

I can brew 40pints for about 25p/pint. Government take about 80p a pint. It is amazing consumers fall for the continued unecessary inflation of products, maybe this time round without the wage rises they will take it less squarely on the chin.

I'm going to brew my own beer :)

You can buy a kit for around £40 and the cost per pint is cheaper than for that of mineral water.

Fun and money saving!

With it being £8-10 for a pint here in Norway, I don't have a lot of sympathy for you!

yes but its swings ans roundabouts, in Norway you dont generally need beer googles for the women

I'm going to brew my own beer :)

You can buy a kit for around £40 and the cost per pint is cheaper than for that of mineral water.

Fun and money saving!

This is my home brew kit:

Fixed costs:

You can buy a fermentation bin for <£5

Pressure barrel ~ £20-£25, but can go a lot higher.

No need for syphon tubing or hydrometers etc.

Use Milton baby sterilising tablets for pennies per brew, don't bother with brewers sterilising tablets.

Add beer kit (anything from £7.00 to about £20 depending on quality)

Wait a week.

Transfer to pressure barrel just by pouring it in.

Add little dextrose/lactose (bag for £1.99 does >150 pints

Wait 1-2 weeks and drink.

Total hands-on working time about 30 minutes, cost (after initial outlay) about 20-40p per pint depending on choice of kit.

Tastes really really good, never had any contamination problems yet.

More people will get boozed up before the go out, simple. This is what they do in Norway, Sweden...it will kill a lot of pubs and bars, particularly those who don't serve top notch food.

More people will get boozed up before the go out, simple. This is what they do in Norway, Sweden...it will kill a lot of pubs and bars, particularly those who don't serve top notch food.

Apparently it's called "pre-loading". Not that I would know, of course.

Remember working in a pub in 1985 and Guinness was the first pint to go over the £ , it had been 98P and went up 4p to £1.02.

We opened the doors at 5.30 and two regulars walked in and ordered their two pints of Guinnness , the barmaid served them and one of them gave her two £1 coin's ,

" sorry she said I need another 4p " it was embarrassing for her to explain the price rise.

Last week in a pub in London my Dad paid £4 for a pint of Guinness.

Fixed costs:

Use Milton baby sterilising tablets for pennies per brew, don't bother with brewers sterilising tablets.

Wait a week.

Total hands-on working time about 30 minutes, cost (after initial outlay) about 20-40p per pint depending on choice of kit.

Thanks, I may get back into this.

Thanks, I may get back into this. I think these new-fangled pressure barrels will make it so much easier.

Or you can use old beer bottles, you can buy the metal caps online, again for pennies. (£2 for 100)

PM me if you want more info, I can even send photos if you like when I make my next batch this weekend. It's really easy. :D

They are already being killed!! Cheapest pint of bitter at my local was £2.70 and £2.80 for lager. Got numerous sky screens etc so every now and again I would bob into watch something and make a pint last. They have recently started doing Ruddles for £1.80 and Carlsberg for £2. I've already found myself in there far more, spending much more cash.

Fixed costs:

Wait a week.

I used to brew my own about 15 years ago and it was, well, not so nice! Strong, but not anywhere near commecial quality.

Has it improved, or have you become accustomed to the taste? I used the same budget methods you do and it was gut rot after a couple of pints.

Fixed costs:

Wait a week.

The best post ever!

Should be on a spend a bit of money to save a bit thread.

I brew my own beer from the raw ingredients barley malt, water, yeast and hops. I pay about ten times the cost as a commercial brewer for ingredients (energy costs are the same for the mashing and boiling etc.)

I can brew 40pints for about 25p/pint. Government take about 80p a pint. It is amazing consumers fall for the continued unecessary inflation of products, maybe this time round without the wage rises they will take it less squarely on the chin.

Yes, the price of a pub pint has almost nothing to do with the cost of barley. The bulk of that £4 pint is the landlord's rent (or the cost of the tie, which is pretty much the same thing).

I used to brew my own about 15 years ago and it was, well, not so nice! Strong, but not anywhere near commecial quality.

Has it improved, or have you become accustomed to the taste? I used the same budget methods you do and it was gut rot after a couple of pints.

I think the kits have got a lot better but they were not to my taste which is why I moved to all grain brewing which follow the same process a real ale microbrewery follows.

I think the kits have got a lot better but they were not to my taste which is why I moved to all grain brewing which follow the same process a real ale microbrewery follows.

What were your start-up costs?

A pint in my nearest pub(hotel) is and has been over £4 for a couple of years now for Peroni. £4.30 at my last visit! I don't go there anymore.

When I first moved to London in 2005 a pint in a nice pub was around £2.60 or so. It's now about £1 more. I wonder how many people have had a 40% payrise in the last 5 years.

PM me if you want more info, I can even send photos if you like when I make my next batch this weekend. It's really easy. :D

You could make a quick off topic thread? Then newbies and guests could benefit.