House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workhou

Life After Tefl..

I need some help as I'm at a bit of crossroads right now. I've been working in South Korea for the past 2.5 years. I've had enough of this country and I want to come back to the UK but I'm worried about finding a job. Is there anyone with a similar background who has been through this process?

My first degree was a 2:1 in marketing but didn't do much for me. I'm 33 now and stating to panic.

I have savings of 7k -10k but I don't know if spending it on a university course to become a teacher/other profession is right for me.. As degrees do not guarantee good jobs nowadays.

To make matters worse when I left I had been doing a warehouse job for 2.5 years so my biggest fear is that I'll be unemployable on the office job market. I'm thinking of giving university a miss and using the money to start a small business instead. e.g run a taxi or something.. What do you think?

I need some help as I'm at a bit of crossroads right now. I've been working in South Korea for the past 2.5 years. I've had enough of this country and I want to come back to the UK but I'm worried about finding a job. Is there anyone with a similar background who has been through this process?

My first degree was a 2:1 in marketing but didn't do much for me. I'm 33 now and stating to panic.

I have savings of 7k -10k but I don't know if spending it on a university course to become a teacher/other profession is right for me.. As degrees do not guarantee good jobs nowadays.

To make matters worse when I left I had been doing a warehouse job for 2.5 years so my biggest fear is that I'll be unemployable on the office job market. I'm thinking of giving university a miss and using the money to start a small business instead. e.g run a taxi or something.. What do you think?

Don't go back to the UK. Go somewhere else in Asia and teach English there.

I would probably look at the degree or pgce.

Nothing is guaranteed but you don't hear of many unemployed teachers.

Failing that, i too would look at a few more years tefl over driving a taxi!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Australia or Canada.

I would probably look at the degree or pgce.

Nothing is guaranteed but you don't hear of many unemployed teachers.

Failing that, i too would look at a few more years tefl over driving a taxi!

Driving a taxi would be a bad idea. A lot of taxi income is discretionary spend, so evaporates in a recession. Takes have been down for some time. Small busineeses are also likely to struggle unless you can see a really good niche.

If you had to come back to the UK, then becoming a maths teacher wouldn't be a bad option. Not sure if it is still the case, but one of my friends got some nice bonuses for qualifying as a math teacher.

Australia or Canada.

Australia could be a dangerous/expensive failure of an option unless you had water tight guaranteed employment. Lots of expats suffering and being "deported" as they no longer satisfy the conditions of their work visas. DYIV is a special case as he is a doctor.

If you are an experienced GP, don't mind the smell of cabbage and wee, and have no cultural pretensions then the Sunhine Coast in Queensland probably isn't a bad option. Nice weather, lots of rich, old sick people, and last time I looked GPs being offerred 250k with decent conditions.

I was in a similar situation to yourself back in '08. Spent 2 years living in Japan teaching English, but got a bit bored and started to think about getting some proper work experience in my field of study. It took me 9 months to get a job, but eventually a very good job came through. If it hadn't, I'd have been stuffed and seriously regretted coming back. If I were you I'd assess the job market, which is probably going to be tough if you can't show experience in the past couple of years.

For what it's worth, If I lost my job now I'd give up on the UK and emigrate. It's ******ed.

I'm sorry but the UK is toast. You think unemployment is bad now, it is set to get WORSE!

At least you have the option of TEFL to bunker down for a while. I don't! They only want white people the world over to do TEFL jobs. Unless you go somewhere like a war zone and work for nothing.

Hi

I suppose the first question is do you want to stay in teaching? If yes, you could always try working in somewhere like the Middle East for a couple of years. You can earn a lot there and that could set you up for a bit if you did want to do a degree/PGCE. Once you've got one of them then there are an awful lot of places you can go that are better than the UK. Do you want to come back to the UK or will you get itchy feet after a year or two?

Btw PGCEs are kind of free.... however PGCE has an issue, in that you need to get a certain amount of experience to 'activate' it in UK schools. Thus it locks you into many uber crud jobs. My sister did PGCE a while ago and has been going to cruddy job to cruddy job as the colleges constantly make cut backs in 3 years she's had 6 jobs.

Btw PGCEs are kind of free.... however PGCE has an issue, in that you need to get a certain amount of experience to 'activate' it in UK schools. Thus it locks you into many uber crud jobs. My sister did PGCE a while ago and has been going to cruddy job to cruddy job as the colleges constantly make cut backs in 3 years she's had 6 jobs.

That's not quite true unless they've changed things since I did mine. You get a PGCE straight away but there is then your NQT year after that which you need to complete to get some kind of certificate for that too.

It used to be as well that you got £600 a month to train and could take out a student loan on top of that which I guess if you're leaving the UK isn't really an issue.

Have you had enough of TEFL, too?

If not, and if you've got a proper qualification and experience, it's still big business here.

Though I know the pay's not great.

Even if you don't plan to do it here, it'd be good to get a reference from wherever you've been teaching in case you might want to.

If you like it, though, and feel you're good at it, it might be worth doing a further course to upgrade your skills and quals.

Guest Noodle

I'm sorry but the UK is toast. You think unemployment is bad now, it is set to get WORSE!

At least you have the option of TEFL to bunker down for a while. I don't! They only want white people the world over to do TEFL jobs. Unless you go somewhere like a war zone and work for nothing.

I think Ken's right here. Jack's right too. Stay put.

OK please don't take offence to this but I felt compelled to write.

This is starting to sound like self-pity now....

I know a guy in Korea who looks 100% Korean (although he was brought up in the US) and does TEFL no problem. Now he has his own private tutoring gig that makes more money than being a teacher at a school.

I know it is tough to get a job there if you are not white or even blonde but there are halfies, full Asians and even blacks who get TEFL jobs there.

You're starting to remind me of some ethnic minorities who use racism as an excuse for everything. I understand this happens quite a lot with black people in America, hence many Black leaders calling for their brothers to rise up over it.

OK I know Korea and East Asia has particularly racist policies but this is not true the world over. What about the Middle East?

Have you had enough of TEFL, too?

If not, and if you've got a proper qualification and experience, it's still big business here.

Though I know the pay's not great.

Even if you don't plan to do it here, it'd be good to get a reference from wherever you've been teaching in case you might want to.

If you like it, though, and feel you're good at it, it might be worth doing a further course to upgrade your skills and quals.

I'd be interested to know how the OP found TEFL, as I'm considering doing it myself to relocate to eastern Europe.

TEFL would be an option in the UK I suppose, but you would essentially be on minimum wage and most language schools are in expensive parts of the country like London, Brighton, Oxford etc.

OK I know Korea and East Asia has particularly racist policies but this is not true the world over. What about the Middle East?

The middle east is openish.... however there is a barrier to entry, that is work experience....if you can't get work then you can't get experience.... UK based jobs are mostly voluntary due to uber budget cuts. Even the colleges in the UK are cutting perm staff.

I'm having rather an unpleasant week already, usual hoo har telephone interviews, which go nicely and then suddenly turn into a few moments of awkward silence where they either put the phone down or say they'll call me back.

I'd note I blame very little on racism HERE for instance the only dealings with cops lately where I get stopped for a bread and butter check, they cannot tell what colour I am under the helmet and all the gear. Though the way people automatically assume I'm looking for the immigration office or I'm trying to sell them pirate DVDs is rather irritating.

Does anybody have any recommendations for how to get into doing TEFL in Japan/Korea? I still have a few years of my twenties to go and am bored of being an HMO rent slave in the UK while waiting for this bubble to pop. I spent 3 months working at a university in Japan a couple of years ago and had a whale of a time.

Does anybody have any recommendations for how to get into doing TEFL in Japan/Korea? I still have a few years of my twenties to go and am bored of being an HMO rent slave in the UK while waiting for this bubble to pop. I spent 3 months working at a university in Japan a couple of years ago and had a whale of a time.

Get a qualification (CELTA is a good entry) or if you don't mind taking the piss out of your students you can sign up with a company that will give you "in house training", which you will pass if as long as you don't turn up drunk or naked. The job hunt starts here:

http://www.tefl.com/

Excellent forum (and jobs board) here:

http://www.eslcafe.com/

My advice would be to go out on a six month contract. If you like the company/country you can stay with them, or you would have the option to move on once you find out what's what. If you are interested in China, PM me.

The middle east is openish.... however there is a barrier to entry, that is work experience....if you can't get work then you can't get experience.... UK based jobs are mostly voluntary due to uber budget cuts. Even the colleges in the UK are cutting perm staff.

There are no barriers to entry if you go out to the Far East with one of the chain companies. They will hire you, unless you turn up to the interview after a night sleeping in the gutter. They don't need experience either. You can get experience (if necessary) teaching by volunteering after your CELTA, like I did.

A distant cousin of mine, late 20s, spent 2 of the last 3 years teaching in Oz working around the entire country TEFL... The last year he has spent in Seoul.... He is loving Seoul... is incredibly well-paid... ditched his gorgeous and lovely long-term Fijian girlfriend as he is now something of a catch among Korean women and he is apparently having no end of fun....

Bumped into a friend last weeked whose girlfriend is about to go and live in Saudi for a year TEFL for, so I was told, 'big money'. She has to weak a burkha for a year though but has decded that the money is worth it.

TEFL would be an option in the UK I suppose, but you would essentially be on minimum wage and most language schools are in expensive parts of the country like London, Brighton, Oxford etc.

TEFL isn't an option in the UK unless you can land yourself a cushy number teaching at one of the uni language courses they do to train up foreigners before their postgraduate course. See my other post for starting points in Eastern Europe

If you are going to leave teaching you need to have along hard think about what you want to do and how to get there. It will probably involve retraining - it did for me. Is it Korea you are sick of or teaching? Plenty of places to go to if you still enjoy teaching. And is it the teaching that gets you down or the students?

Get a qualification (CELTA is a good entry) or if you don't mind taking the piss out of your students you can sign up with a company that will give you "in house training", which you will pass if as long as you don't turn up drunk or naked. The job hunt starts here:

http://www.tefl.com/

Excellent forum (and jobs board) here:

http://www.eslcafe.com/

My advice would be to go out on a six month contract. If you like the company/country you can stay with them, or you would have the option to move on once you find out what's what. If you are interested in China, PM me.

Thanks!

TEFL isn't an option in the UK unless you can land yourself a cushy number teaching at one of the uni language courses they do to train up foreigners before their postgraduate course. See my other post for starting points in Eastern Europe

I did know a chap who was a TEFL teacher in London, but was basically on minimum wage and living in a small room. He did have an endless stream of foxy foreign girlfriends though, which helped.

Where's your other post on Eastern Europe? Couldn't find it, sorry.