House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Simmons Suddenly Dies

Did not John Smith conveniently pop his cloggs in this manner to make way for the beloved Tony Blair ?

Obviously the advice for a long life is to always take a shower and never ever go for a walk in the hills or the woods.

RIP

matt had made some pretty bizarre rare predictions about the BP oils spill esp. in this kwn interview

he either knew something that others didn't (or were too afraid to say) or he was being extremely dramatic / gloomy

he either knew something that others didn't (or were too afraid to say) or he was being extremely dramatic / gloomy

I think the latter. He was one of the main Peak Oil proponents and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't push him into a depression without him even realising.

RIP

matt had made some pretty bizarre rare predictions about the BP oils spill esp. in this kwn interview

From what I gather he's a bit of a melodramatic nutter, but at least he was doing some 'proper' investment banking. From what I've read he was promoting, raising capital and investing in seriously promising offshore wind operations in New England.

I think the latter. He was one of the main Peak Oil proponents and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't push him into a depression without him even realising.

I don't think that's true. If you listen to his interviews about the wind / amonia technology he was involved with I think he was very optimistic. Hopefully, they will keep pursuing this even after his death.

From what I gather he's a bit of a melodramatic nutter, but at least he was doing some 'proper' investment banking. From what I've read he was promoting, raising capital and investing in seriously promising offshore wind operations in New England.

I think he was involved in the huge "planned"development in Nantucket Sound. Good luck with that one. Dogs chance and no chance for anybody trying to ruin the Cape/Marthas Vineyard. Old money rules there big time.

I don't think that's true. If you listen to his interviews about the wind / amonia technology he was involved with I think he was very optimistic. Hopefully, they will keep pursuing this even after his death.

He could put on a good show, but his behaviour during the BP spill betrayed that. Frankly, if you believe the basic Peak Oil premises (which include AFAIK that it's too late), you either put on good show or put a bullet in your brains. Either way, I think anyone with some sensibility will feel depressed.

He was also onto peak water. India is exhausting its aquifers it seems and just signed a contract to import 1 billion gallons from Alaska by ship. How far are we from a disaster I wonder?

everybody dies.

Funny you should say that. Last Wednesday something told me I had to go the local YMCA gym-I never ever go on Wednesdays and I mean ever in 12 years. Saw an old mate (George). I had not seen him all summer and I spent a bit of time shooting the breeze as they say here. He was a great old typical Italian-American, navy vet, spent a long time in England promoting his business (he made jewllery in Rhode Island). He was just a nice old guy. He was just so glad to meet me (don't know why really). I came away feeling a little bit down, didn't know why. He died Wednesday night-OK he was 88 but still. It was really strange but I am just so glad I saw him. He told me once that after Iwo Jima, he thanked the Lod for everyday as he felt he shouldn't really be here. RIP George.

John Smith answered the door to sign for a package.....from Mossad

Mike

[/quote

Do tell more ! I've not heard that conspiracy theory before, but I could well believe it of Mossad :angry:

I think he'll be missed. He was respected by a lot of people and I've listened to him many times. He always struck me as someone who told it like it was and was positive about doing something to help.

It's odd timing for him to die like that after everything but as noted we alls gotta go.

He was dead wrong (no pun intended at all) on BP but RIP Matt Simmons.

He could put on a good show, but his behaviour during the BP spill betrayed that. Frankly, if you believe the basic Peak Oil premises (which include AFAIK that it's too late), you either put on good show or put a bullet in your brains. Either way, I think anyone with some sensibility will feel depressed.

He was also onto peak water. India is exhausting its aquifers it seems and just signed a contract to import 1 billion gallons from Alaska by ship. How far are we from a disaster I wonder?

Are you saying water is a finite resource?

Guest Noodle

Are you saying water is a finite resource?

Obtaining sufficient volumes of fresh water in areas of high demand can be.

Guest Noodle

Then maybe people shouldn't over-breed where their natural resources can't sustain them.

I was thinking agricultural which effects everyone now really. It's getting dryer where I am, every year at the moment. Aquifer abstraction goes ever deeper and of course this increases the salinity of soils reducing crop yields. (no idea if this is climate change, don't know enough about it).

But I do agree about population pressures.

I was thinking agricultural which effects everyone now really. It's getting dryer where I am, every year at the moment. Aquifer abstraction goes ever deeper and of course this increases the salinity of soils reducing crop yields. (no idea if this is climate change, don't know enough about it).

But I do agree about population pressures.

Well if they are right about climate change, agricultural zones should expand. A warmer world is a wetter world.

But as it is, rainfall patterns can not be predicted even at season-ahead so climate forecasts don't really help us here.

Guest Noodle

Well if they are right about climate change, agricultural zones should expand. A warmer world is a wetter world.

But as it is, rainfall patterns can not be predicted even at season-ahead so climate forecasts don't really help us here.

I know, it's torrid west of the Bay of Bengal at the moment and our region to the east is suffering the lowest rainfall on record.

I know, it's torrid west of the Bay of Bengal at the moment and our region to the east is suffering the lowest rainfall on record.

I blame the lack of sunspots causing peculiar Jet Stream behaviour. Cold winter on the way.