House Price Crash Forum
str2010

Just Str Where To Put Money

Hi,

I have just manage to STR exchanged today!!! I have about 55K that I would like to try and make some money from but don't want anything risky as this is my future deposit (hopefully).

I am currently renting so will need access to the money within 90 days in case I actually find a property that I am willing to buy (haven't managed to find one yet though).

I was thinking of just putting 30K in premium bonds and the rest in a savings account paying 2.8% but can I do any better?

Any advice will be most appreciated.

If you must keep money, M&S Money fixed rate savings 3 year fix, immediate access to all with £100 penalty. 3.25% I think. I don't understand the premium bond logic. Personally, I'd buy a FTSE with dividends tracker.

Hi,

I have just manage to STR exchanged today!!! I have about 55K that I would like to try and make some money from but don't want anything risky as this is my future deposit (hopefully).

I am currently renting so will need access to the money within 90 days in case I actually find a property that I am willing to buy (haven't managed to find one yet though).

I was thinking of just putting 30K in premium bonds and the rest in a savings account paying 2.8% but can I do any better?

Hi,

PBs are rubbish at the moment, and even when they're not you need to think of returns over at least a year, since each month's winnings (or not) can vary wildly.

Plus I'm pretty sure new bonds don't even go into the draw until a month after you've bought them.

As someone else has said, the M&S bond is good if you don't want to tie your money up.

Hi,

buy a house its the only hope as inflation will otherwise rip your cash stash.

ooooh but you just sold one???? why?

buy a house its the only hope as inflation will otherwise rip your cash stash.

ooooh but you just sold one???? why?

Should it be made out of gold?

Hi,

Tracker bond? Minimum rate 3.2% till 2012 but 2.2% above base rate, so if rates go to 1.25% your rate goes to 3.45% and further upwards on subsequent rate rises

90 days loss of interest on withdrawals.

http://www.coventryb...x?ProdCode=GTB1

(Edit for typo 3.25% changed to 3.45%)

Edited by Redhat Sly