House Price Crash Forum

Linux Umbuntu?

ken_ichikawa

HOLA441

Hi

I just downloaded Unbuntu for netbooks to replace the rubbish Xandros OS which came with it (EEEPC901 Xandros). It works fine except for one thing. The Unbuntu WIFI manager thing you need to know the SSID before you can connect to anything.

Does anybody know of a linux based WIFI scanner so I can pick out SSIDs which are not hidden? The WIFI scanner on my phone is pants, and having to carry around another device i.e. my phone to find SSIDs kind of defeats the point. Nearly like having a solar powerered torch and carrying a torch to shine on the solar panel when it gets dark.

Any ideas.

Thanks

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hi

I just downloaded Unbuntu for netbooks to replace the rubbish Xandros OS which came with it (EEEPC901 Xandros). It works fine except for one thing. The Unbuntu WIFI manager thing you need to know the SSID before you can connect to anything.

Does anybody know of a linux based WIFI scanner so I can pick out SSIDs which are not hidden? The WIFI scanner on my phone is pants, and having to carry around another device i.e. my phone to find SSIDs kind of defeats the point. Nearly like having a solar powerered torch and carrying a torch to shine on the solar panel when it gets dark.

Any ideas.

Thanks

I'm writing this on a eeebuntu installation and have never had any such problems with wifi. If you get desperate you can always install that. It also worked with my 3 dongle right out the box.

HOLA444

Actually I've not installed it yet, I used it on a USB stick..

2nd time booting up the trackpad worked and WIFI scanning worked too with strength bars. Couldn't connect to me DSL-2640R though unless I turned off the security...

Exactly the same problem with Xandros!

HOLA445

Gnome Network Manager (the Ubuntu default WiFi manager) doesn't need you to enter the SSID. It Just Works.

Couldn't connect to me DSL-2640R though unless I turned off the security...

WEP ? Try WPA security. I've had trouble connecting to WEP-protected networks with Ubuntu on an eeePC.

HOLA446

Gnome Network Manager (the Ubuntu default WiFi manager) doesn't need you to enter the SSID. It Just Works.

WEP ? Try WPA security. I've had trouble connecting to WEP-protected networks with Ubuntu on an eeePC.

Curiously a bloke on another forum tells me he has the opposite problem! That he can't connect to WPA+WPA2 networks on the EEE

HOLA447

Curiously a bloke on another forum tells me he has the opposite problem! That he can't connect to WPA+WPA2 networks on the EEE

<shrugs>

It's just a bit weird. Both should work; We have WPA2 at home and the eeePC is fine with that, but not with WEP. I don't doubt it's the other way round for some people.

HOLA448

<shrugs>

It's just a bit weird. Both should work; We have WPA2 at home and the eeePC is fine with that, but not with WEP. I don't doubt it's the other way round for some people.

Say while you're here. Where do you install Unbuntu erm to on the EEPC? The smaller SSD or the big one? As I'm currently running it off the USB stick which works nicely but has an appaullingly long bootup time compared to Xandros on the SSD which takes about 10 seconds to boot up (probably something to do with the read write limits on USB2 on the mem stick).

Ta

HOLA449

Writing this on an Acer 10.1 Acer Aspire running Ubuntu. Was running Ubuntu Netbook Remix but added tons of other stuff now, so got the full Gnome desktop.

Never had an issue with wireless mobile or 3G or had to install additional programs. There is wifi icon in the top bar, and I just connect with that (just like Windows).

HOLA4410

Say while you're here. Where do you install Unbuntu erm to on the EEPC? The smaller SSD or the big one? As I'm currently running it off the USB stick which works nicely but has an appaullingly long bootup time compared to Xandros on the SSD which takes about 10 seconds to boot up (probably something to do with the read write limits on USB2 on the mem stick).

Ta

I've tried a few times to install it to the removable card, and had troubles o subsequent boots

Ubuntu Netbook remix installs very nicely to the internal SSD even on my tidly eeePC 700 4G. If you want a slimmer install, try Xubuntu. For minimalism and speed, try Crunchbang - it's the smallest Ubuntu flavour.

Archived