House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheRiddler

Podcasts

I've recently bought an MP3 player after threatening to do so for years and I download some podcasts from the BBC website (Radio 4 choice, Moneybox, Desert Island Discs, World Service documentaries) if the topic interests me but anyone with suggestions/links to other podcasts that they enjoy?

I've recently bought an MP3 player after threatening to do so for years and I download some podcasts from the BBC website (Radio 4 choice, Moneybox, Desert Island Discs, World Service documentaries) if the topic interests me but anyone with suggestions/links to other podcasts that they enjoy?

in our time, Start the week, The Bottom line, From our own correspondant, Americana and Thinking allowed are all good Radio 4 podcasts that I subscribe to

Monocle magazine weekly is good also, altho it's mainly (very average) music during August

KCRW's Left Right and Center is good if you're interested in US politics

Economist weekly highlights and The week ahead are very listenable too

Podcasts have really improved my daily commute, great way to make it a fair bit less dull

There's loads (and loads of variety) of speech radio recordings on radioarchive.cc.

It's torrent-based though, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg, from the BBC, is great, 45 minutes listeneing in the background and you become an instant world expert on some obscure subject.

In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg, from the BBC, is great, 45 minutes listeneing in the background and you become an instant world expert on some obscure subject.

During recent rehab from a particularly unpleasant illness, I invented 'Bragg-a-robics', 45mins being the length of time for my physio exercises, fitting in well with the IOT format. Now I'm fitter and with more knowledge of Jacobean tragedies.

Wow! Looks interesting. Is it possible to download this stuff? There don't seem to be any podcasts... just streaming...

Wow! Looks interesting. Is it possible to download this stuff? There don't seem to be any podcasts... just streaming...

Bizzarely the Beeb don't archive them past a week or so and it stops for a few weeks every summer.

Great stuff tho, the choice of subjects is so broad and sometimes pretty obscure but always interesting.

Depends on your interests but the Guardian ones are particularly good, well produced and updated on a very regular basis.

From the Guardian I subscribe to

Football Weekly

Tech Weekly

Politics Weekly

Science Weekly

Film Weekly

All very good if you are interested in the subject matter. Podcasts do tend to vary in quality, the ones you have already found are in fact just radio programs so have a history of decent production and structure, some can be a total mess.

Bizzarely the Beeb don't archive them past a week or so and it stops for a few weeks every summer.

Great stuff tho, the choice of subjects is so broad and sometimes pretty obscure but always interesting.

Several years' worth of "In Our Time" archives are available via the site I mentioned above.

Copyright technicalities aside, it's a bit tragic for this kind of stuff to get lost (whether through mouldering forever in a BBC archive, or being chucked in a skip) ... long may radio enthusiasts continue to preserve them B)