House Price Crash Forum
Snow Birds

Line By Line Replies

When I reply to a post the whole post I reply to is highlighted but some people have figured out how to reply to just one paragraph or even one line and then reply to another paragraph or line selectively and in the same way. The reply displays as a series of quotes from the same post each having its own reply. This is a very good way to reply to different points in the same post. I've tried to do it but failed miserably. How do you do it?

When I reply to a post the whole post I reply to is highlighted but some people have figured out how to reply to just one paragraph or even one line and then reply to another paragraph or line selectively and in the same way. The reply displays as a series of quotes from the same post each having its own reply. This is a very good way to reply to different points in the same post. I've tried to do it but failed miserably. How do you do it?

When you reply, copy the start and end of the quote tags. You might need to change your user settings to view the whole HTML

You can use

Text here
next piece of text here

Thus:

When I reply to a post the whole post I reply to is highlighted but some people have figured out how to reply to just one paragraph or even one line and then reply to another paragraph or line selectively and in the same way.

The reply displays as a series of quotes from the same post each having its own reply. This is a very good way to reply to different points in the same post. I've tried to do it but failed miserably. How do you do it?

or you can go the whole hog and copy and paste:

Text here

next piece of text here

When I reply to a post the whole post I reply to is highlighted but some people have figured out how to reply to just one paragraph or even one line and then reply to another paragraph or line selectively and in the same way.

The reply displays as a series of quotes from the same post each having its own reply. This is a very good way to reply to different points in the same post.
I've tried to do it but failed miserably. How do you do it?
eg 
The reply displays as a series of quotes from the same post each having its own reply. This is a very good way to reply to different points in the same post.
I've tried to do it but failed miserably. How do you do it?
Edited by twatmangle

When you reply, copy the start and end of the quote tags. You might need to change your user settings to view the whole HTML

You can use

Thus:

eg   

Thanks TM. I will try it out and use your reply to practice on. Two problems already my settings make no reference to HTML but I'm assuming RT something or other is the same thing. Also copy and paste doesn't work on the quoted post. Early days!! I've just upgraded from windows millenium to windows 7 so lots of things are unfamiliar. Could be a long haul.

When you reply,

like this?

copy the start

and make another smart ass reply

and end of the quote tags.

If this works I owe you big time

You might need to change your user settings to view the whole HTML

You can use

Thus:

eg   

Holy crap it worked TM. Thanks a million. I had actually tried a version of this but I had it all backwards applying the code to my comments instead of the posters. Beats me why geeks have to be so . . . . well . . . . geeky! After fighting Norton and Adobe and flash player and outlook exress (lack of) favourites and address book it was a nice rest to get this up an running. The Goddamn geek at the computer shop actually told me my old computer was a dinosaur. Uppity kids! It was only ten years old! Fer Chris' sake, I got underwear older than that!

Thanks again, I owe yer one.