House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resolve

Turkish Air Stewards Told To Lose Weight

The employees, 13 of whom are women, are on unpaid leave in Turkey until they lose weight, the Haber Turk daily newspaper said.

All of them previously had been warned to shape up, it added.

"Weight and height are important factors at all airlines. These criteria are important both in terms of appearance and the ability to move about," Turkish Airlines reportedly said in a statement to its crew.

Izzet Levi, head of a cabin attendants' association, told Haber Turk he must lose 22 pounds if he is to return to his post.

Turkish Airlines is Europe's fourth largest carrier by passenger numbers.

iStock_can%20of%20worms.jpg

:ph34r: ....

And?

This is normal in Asia, if you are not female, young attractive tall and slim then they throw your application away. I've travelled extensively on Asian carriers and aside from the European carriers which fly to Asia if you don't fit into the above body shape your application is thrown into the bin.

Look at the job sites based in Asia they ALL say attach photo which is the first hurdle you have to jump.

5-10 years down the line they get pushed out for younger slimmer, taller air hostesses.

Guest Noodle

And?

This is normal in Asia, if you are not female, young attractive tall and slim then they throw your application away. I've travelled extensively on Asian carriers and aside from the European carriers which fly to Asia if you don't fit into the above body shape your application is thrown into the bin.

Look at the job sites based in Asia they ALL say attach photo which is the first hurdle you have to jump.

5-10 years down the line they get pushed out for younger slimmer, taller air hostesses.

Yup. If it's front of house stuff. Bangkok Hospital group employs what we call 'fembots'. Very pretty young women dressed professionally that do nothing but stand around. Nothing else. Nothing. Nothing at all. Absolutely nothing.

Image over substance.

Yet you fly Business and 1st with the US airlines and the stewardesses are overweight (fat), very old (like 60+) . . . and very good. No dolly birds up there.

To be fair working on a plane your size must be pretty important. How many 6ft 5 air hosts do you see.

in related news another airline told all its male air stewards that they need to sleep with at least one man. The men are currently on unpaid leave until they get a bit of man on man action...

Certain UK airlines (I know of 2 for certain) used to have cabin staff Fat Lists. If you were on the Fat List you were called in and told to lose weight, or else.

Don't suppose they're allowed to do this any more, but above a certain girth they wouldn't be able to do the job. For a start, cabin staff need to be able to squeeze past trolleys in the aisle. Not to mention past fat passengers in the aisle.

in related news another airline told all its male air stewards that they need to sleep with at least one man. The men are currently on unpaid leave until they get a bit of man on man action...

Are you sure that there are any heterosexual male stewards in Europe?

(I'll get me coat).

For my money, Singapore Airlines has it cracked. I travel with them whenever I can. The hostesses are so skinny, they can waltz down the aisle without waking you up on long haul. they are also warm, welcoming and friendly.

singaporebw8.jpg

Guest Noodle

Unless someone can provide images of said air stewards so we can cast judgement on whether they are too fat to fly or not this is a non story.

Are they too big to fit down the aisle?

I used to be a frequent (very frequent) flyer . . . I flew Turkish . . . once. :ph34r:

Guest X-QUORK

I used to be a frequent (very frequent) flyer . . . I flew Turkish . . . once. :ph34r:

Your euphamisms are quite disgusting Noodle, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Guest Noodle

Your euphamisms are quite disgusting Noodle, you should be ashamed of yourself.

I take no delight in it.

For my money, Singapore Airlines has it cracked. I travel with them whenever I can. The hostesses are so skinny, they can waltz down the aisle without waking you up on long haul. they are also warm, welcoming and friendly.

singaporebw8.jpg

I prefer the happy medium of KLM which for all Holland's socialdemocracy and right-on attitudes seem to be pretty...selective (unlike Delta who make school dinnerladies look glamorous). They redesigned the uniform a while back and they've done some sort of clever tailoring butt-wise. I have never previously been a great fan of ladies in trousers from an aesthetic POV but this marks a watershed for me. I don't know if the idea is that faced with handing out cups of coffee they can perch the extra tray on the ultra-pert derriers but anyhow. Flying too much lately, it'll do that to you.