House Price Crash Forum

Heroin Addicts

Reck B

HOLA441

No, I don't know it.

Sure, if I was trying to hang with the kids I'd look a tw@t, but I don't see the harm in it in moderation in my own home. No worse than having a G&T, in fact better healthwise.

As a matter of interest, does it affect your memory?

The only two periods in my life where I used it regularly I stopped because it was affecting (mildly) my work.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Not family but I used to live in Ardwick and there were a lot of people on some serious drugs.

Unless you can identify what makes him slip back and eliminate it - escaping is hard.

Some research I read said there's a bit of the brain that gets damaged permanently through heroin use and thats why they slip back.

HOLA443
Guest X-QUORK

As a matter of interest, does it affect your memory?

The only two periods in my life where I used it regularly I stopped because it was affecting (mildly) my work.

No, not when sober anyway, at least not in my experience.

HOLA444
Guest X-QUORK

So why pick up medical training with Noodle's statement.

Maybe it's because Prof David Nutt says something you need to hear

Mrs Noodle seemingly knew that cannabis was the problem, not the crystal meth she was also taking. I'd say that takes medical qualifications to determine.

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

Mrs Noodle seemingly knew that cannabis was the problem, not the crystal meth she was also taking. I'd say that takes medical qualifications to determine.

No. I suspected it may be Yabba, however others say not. Only ganja according to family members.

See what it's doing to your cognitive abilities. On a slippery slope, Quork.

HOLA446

Like with most things if you over do it problems occur. I've gone a a bit OCD on exercise in the past, picked up an injury, no endorphins and get downward mood changes. Many people pick up quite debilitation joint problems, which can be pretty life changing.

solely relying on something to make yourself happy is never a good thing.

HOLA447
Guest X-QUORK

See what it's doing to your cognitive abilities. On a slippery slope, Quork.

Cognitive abilities are on the slide for all of us from 25 onwards, but my IQ was the same as it was when I was 18 last time I checked.

Your wind-up skills are still sharp Noodle, but your ability to back up assertions with evidence seems to be on the wane.

HOLA448
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

My brother 34 has been a heroin addict, on and off for about 10 years now.

He's currently serving 6 weeks in prison for violating terms of probation (this is his second spell) and due to be released next week. The whole family (apart from myself and dad to a certain extent) have washed their hands of him having been burgled, robbed, manipulated & lied to for far too long. It's been a really shit situation all round tbh.

The last time he came out of prison, he came out clean, had put weight on, had a clear head etc.... it was great seeing him for the few months that he stayed clean. just like the brother i remembered before he started using. he came to family gatherings & we all thought he'd cracked it, but ultimately he fell back into his ways again.

Now he's had 6 'clean' weeks (i suspect he's on methadone), I'm going to really focus on supporting him to stay clean. I'm only 5% hopeful that I'll be succesful given previous experience, but it's still a chance.

Anyone have any experience with family/friends addicted to heroin?

Most of them are either dead or too tired to carry on the lifestyle and give up by 40.

HOLA449
Guest Noodle

Cognitive abilities are on the slide for all of us from 25 onwards, but my IQ was the same as it was when I was 18 last time I checked.

Your wind-up skills are still sharp Noodle, but your ability to back up assertions with evidence seems to be on the wane.

You're losing it old man.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I've had a few friends addicted to heroin. One who I lived with (but had to leave as he was robbing everyone and everything) who has actually managed to get off it. It took a very long time and he had to move areas and totally change his lifestyle to manage it. Unfortunately other things take the place of heroin and he's still in a poor way.

The others are dead.

There's a lot of ill-informed claptrap spoken about cannabis Noodle, just trying to understand whether you've fallen for it.

Anyway, don't want to hijack so I'll leave it at that.

You speak a lot of sense on this forum but I consistantly disagree with you on your outlook on cannabis, and find it pretty hard not to bite.

All i can say is one day you WILL look back on the people around you who have become dependant on weed and realise the damage it can cause. Every user I have ever met does after a few years. Can i ask how long you've been using? I'm guessing its less than 5 years?

I don't want to argue with you as i know you stand by your opinion. But for god sakes, coming on a public forum and trying to make out that cannabis is harmless is not only total ******** but also slightly irrisponsible maybe?

Just because there is no scientific evidence yet does not mean its fact.

Come on. Look at every heavy user you know. I dont need to tell you the downsides. Dont be blind to it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest Skinty

Funny you should say that. Seems exercise and heroin are not too dissimilar in their affects. In fact they think that using exercise to help heroin addicts could be a success story of the future.

Who would have thought eh. :)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/08/090820-running-rats-addiction.html

Drugs just manipulate the biochemical mechanisms that we have in our brains and which are used to help us function normally. In a nutshell the problem occurs when you can get a high without having to work for it. This essentially throws your behaviour out of balance so that everything else becomes excluded. The brain is always trying to maintain balance within itself and so habituation occurs.

I have no experience of drugs or drug users myself although I do know something about the mechanisms involved. Personally I'd try and find a substitute for the drug that provides the same biochemical effect (obviously to a lesser degree) but which requires effort to bring about.

Extreme sports and S&M come to mind as examples.

HOLA4414
Guest X-QUORK

I've had a few friends addicted to heroin. One who I lived with (but had to leave as he was robbing everyone and everything) who has actually managed to get off it. It took a very long time and he had to move areas and totally change his lifestyle to manage it. Unfortunately other things take the place of heroin and he's still in a poor way.

The others are dead.

You speak a lot of sense on this forum but I consistantly disagree with you on your outlook on cannabis, and find it pretty hard not to bite.

All i can say is one day you WILL look back on the people around you who have become dependant on weed and realise the damage it can cause. Every user I have ever met does after a few years. Can i ask how long you've been using? I'm guessing its less than 5 years?

I don't want to argue with you as i know you stand by your opinion. But for god sakes, coming on a public forum and trying to make out that cannabis is harmless is not only total ******** but also slightly irrisponsible maybe?

Just because there is no scientific evidence yet does not mean its fact.

Come on. Look at every heavy user you know. I dont need to tell you the downsides. Dont be blind to it.

Hit me with some evidence.

HOLA4415

How do you use it? It can't be good for your lungs.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Most of them are either dead or too tired to carry on the lifestyle and give up by 40.

That coincides with the case I mentioned in earlier post.

The chap (younger brother of a friend) was about 33/34, lived like a waster doing all sorts for 10 years, only working on and off, then suddenly stopped all the hard drugs. He said the cold turkey was horrible for 2 weeks, his family helped him do that in a clinic I think, after that he didn't miss it that much. Now he's a (sort of) model citizen with a gardening business!

Maybe he was just tired!

Pray, Reck B, that your brother falls into this minority (assuming it is a minority) who get out of it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest X-QUORK

You know I can't. I shouldnt need to. I know damn well youve seen what i've seen. The truth is you need it. And you justify it. Thats not a dig, We all do it with our vices, I just dont want you or anyone being blind to it.

I appreciate your concern, but I did do quite a bit of research before starting. I'm not stupid enough to think there are zero risks associated with cannabis use, but I'm happy that I'm better off with this vice than drinking or smoking.

HOLA4422
Guest Noodle

I appreciate your concern, but I did do quite a bit of research before starting. I'm not stupid enough to think there are zero risks associated with cannabis use, but I'm happy that I'm better off with this vice than drinking or smoking.

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

Play the ball, not the player. Thought you knew better.

I've heard it causes mild to severe paranoia. Is this true, Quorky?

HOLA4425
Guest X-QUORK

I've heard it causes mild to severe paranoia. Is this true, Quorky?

Do me a favour and stop being a troll mate.

Archived