House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Heroin Addicts

My brother 34 has been a heroin addict, on and off for about 10 years now.

He's currently serving 6 weeks in prison for violating terms of probation (this is his second spell) and due to be released next week. The whole family (apart from myself and dad to a certain extent) have washed their hands of him having been burgled, robbed, manipulated & lied to for far too long. It's been a really shit situation all round tbh.

The last time he came out of prison, he came out clean, had put weight on, had a clear head etc.... it was great seeing him for the few months that he stayed clean. just like the brother i remembered before he started using. he came to family gatherings & we all thought he'd cracked it, but ultimately he fell back into his ways again.

Now he's had 6 'clean' weeks (i suspect he's on methadone), I'm going to really focus on supporting him to stay clean. I'm only 5% hopeful that I'll be succesful given previous experience, but it's still a chance.

Anyone have any experience with family/friends addicted to heroin?

Guest X-QUORK

No experience thankfully Reck B, but I wish you every bit of success I can and I'm really sorry for you and your family.

Guest Noodle

He's currently serving 6 weeks in prison for violating terms of probation (this is his second spell) and due to be released next week. The whole family (apart from myself and dad to a certain extent) have washed their hands of him having been burgled, robbed, manipulated & lied to for far too long. It's been a really shit situation all round tbh.

The last time he came out of prison, he came out clean, had put weight on, had a clear head etc.... it was great seeing him for the few months that he stayed clean. just like the brother i remembered before he started using. he came to family gatherings & we all thought he'd cracked it, but ultimately he fell back into his ways again.

Now he's had 6 'clean' weeks (i suspect he's on methadone), I'm going to really focus on supporting him to stay clean. I'm only 5% hopeful that I'll be succesful given previous experience, but it's still a chance.

Only experience of this is a friend in Berlin and another in Vancouver. Ages, 48 and 57.

Both have been clean. Both ended up back on it. That said, both do function. Although the Canadian went through a very bad time again recently, turned up back here so he's managing his problem well now.

Very sorry to hear of your situation Reck. Drugs ruined my brother (coke) for a long time and were also the reason my wife went nuts (that was just cannabis, although I suspect yabba was also involved).

You'll need help, professional help with this. Don't try to do it on your own.

I know someone who was a big user but never became truly addicted, bizarrely.

He kicked it, got a job, got married and has a family, last I heard he was still "clean" 6 years later, uses a bit of weed now, nothing more.

Makes me wonder if some people are just tougher than others. HTF did he do that when some people can't stop eating Big Macs or drinking beer or watching TV or posting on Facebook or whatever?

Guest X-QUORK

Drugs ruined my brother (coke) for a long time and were also the reason my wife went nuts (that was just cannabis, although I suspect yabba was also involved).

I doubt it, unless she was the first case. More likely the crystal meth.

I don't have any experience of this myself fortunately, but I would have thought its important for him to keep busy. Without a job or his own family, and presumably not many regular friends, he is likely to get bored, and its this that is likely to cause him to relapse. He will need to get some structure to his routine, and not hang around with other drug users. Its a lot for you to take on your own, as I think you have your own young family and presumably a job to do as well. At 34 he could still pull it back and have a decent life ahead of him, so best of luck to him and to you!

Guest Noodle

I doubt it, unless she was the first case. More likely the crystal meth.

She said yesterday that the real reason she completely lost the plot was cannabis.

Guest X-QUORK

She said yesterday that the real reason she completely lost the plot was cannabis.

Is she medically qualified to make that call?

Guest X-QUORK

:rolleyes:

There's a lot of ill-informed claptrap spoken about cannabis Noodle, just trying to understand whether you've fallen for it.

Anyway, don't want to hijack so I'll leave it at that.

Guest Noodle

There's a lot of ill-informed claptrap spoken about cannabis Noodle, just trying to understand whether you've fallen for it.

PUFF . . . PUFF . . .

Is she you medically qualified to make that call?

Guest Noodle

We have to be careful here Johnny. He gets paranoid when we discuss dope and then gets the munchies and puts on 3 lb.

Guest X-QUORK

I don't need medical training to know that there's a lot of rubbish put out there about cannabis. I take my advice from Prof David Nutt...he's more than qualified I think you'll find.

Guest X-QUORK

The two craziest people I've known have been very heavy tokers - I really don't think that's a coincidence.

:lol::D

Dead scientific.

He's probably just lazy and should go for a run

Funny you should say that. Seems exercise and heroin are not too dissimilar in their affects. In fact they think that using exercise to help heroin addicts could be a success story of the future.

Who would have thought eh. :)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/08/090820-running-rats-addiction.html

Guest X-QUORK

We have to be careful here Johnny. He gets paranoid when we discuss dope and then gets the munchies and puts on 3 lb.

There's a shedload more crap in those fags you smoke and you know it.

I don't need medical training to know that there's a lot of rubbish put out there about cannabis. I take my advice from Prof David Nutt...he's more than qualified I think you'll find.

So save me the reading, in synopsis he says what?

Crazies are attracted to cannabis, rather than the cannabis bringing out the craziness?

Guest Noodle

There's a shedload more crap in those fags you smoke and you know it.

You know you need to stop with the dope. You're too old now.

So why pick up medical training with Noodle's statement.

Maybe it's because Prof David Nutt says something you need to hear

Guest X-QUORK

So save me the reading, in synopsis he says what?

Crazies are attracted to cannabis, rather than the cannabis bringing out the craziness?

A complex subject, but in precis...

There is some evidence that heavy cannabis usage in the age group of late teens to early twenties might agitate schizophrenia in the genetically susceptible. Other than that, no evidence of harm other than the carcinogenic effects of inhaling combusted organic material, similar to that of cigarettes. This can be overcome by vaporising rather than combusting.

Guest X-QUORK

You know you need to stop with the dope. You're too old now.

No, I don't know it.

Sure, if I was trying to hang with the kids I'd look a tw@t, but I don't see the harm in it in moderation in my own home. No worse than having a G&T, in fact better healthwise.

Three close friends addicted to Herion all dead now from overdoses.

Have seen scores of people try to give up their addiction.........All have failed!

Best of luck to you and your brother, you'll be needing it.

Spiney.

Guest Noodle

A complex subject, but in precis...

There is some evidence that heavy cannabis usage in the age group of late teens to early twenties might agitate schizophrenia in the genetically susceptible. Other than that, no evidence of harm other than the carcinogenic effects of inhaling combusted organic material, similar to that of cigarettes. This can be overcome by vaporising rather than combusting.

. . . PUFF . . . PUFF . . . PFFFFFF . . .