House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

More Private Sector Job Cuts On Way – Survey

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/aug/09/unemployment-and-employment-statistics-recession

The government's hope that private sector employers will create enough jobs to make up for public sector cuts have been dealt another blow with news that a growing number of businesses are planning to cut staff.

Just under third of employers – 32% – across the state and private sectors said they expected to make some workers redundant during the next three months. It was a rise on the 29% recorded in the previous quarter, according to a survey run jointly by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and accountants KPMG.

Redundancies were more likely in the public sector, where 36% of employers planned to shed jobs, reflecting cuts for government departments and councils announced by the new chancellor George Osborne in June. But the outlook in the private sector was not much brighter with 30% of employers planning staff cuts, up from 24% three months earlier.

Overall the survey of 600 employers still showed more were intending to increase total staffing levels than cut them, the Labour Market Outlook said.

But the authors warned that the figures masked the overall effect on job losses, since those organisations that were planning to make redundancies expected to make a greater proportion of their workforce redundant this quarter – with 5.5% cuts on average, up from 3.6% in the spring report.

"The CIPD believes that a rise in unemployment in the next two years remains a distinct possibility as the private sector recovery is offset by the 600,000 public sector job losses the government expects over the next five years," said CIPD public policy adviser Gerwyn Davies.

The jobless recovery gathers more momentum.

Wow I wonder how many would lose there jobs if there was no recovery?

They keep talking up manufactoring, but its things like ships for the Navy etc...its just more DEBT!

Mike

In my own case I have pretty much decided to retire at year end.The final decision was prompted by the VAT hike to 20%,which in my business is a direct tax on profit. It will mean losing 2.5 jobs,plus various ancillary bits and pieces.I cannot justify having the capital tied up to bring a modest return.I have about £150k in stock and almost the same in the value of the premises.

How soon till 60%+ structural unemployment is normal?

I mean in Bolton here it has been floating around 35% for years, Bury about the same. If the 02 call centre goes bust it will be close to 100%!

http://www.guardian....stics-recession

"The government's hope that private sector employers will create enough jobs to make up for public sector cuts have been dealt another blow with news that a growing number of businesses are planning to cut staff.

Just under third of employers – 32% – across the state and private sectors said they expected to make some workers redundant during the next three months"

Hands up everyone who expects the economy to re-adjust away from debt-funded consumption (whether public or private debt) in three months.

Or even in three years.

There's no quick fix for what ails us.

Hands up everyone who expects the economy to re-adjust away from debt-funded consumption (whether public or private debt) in three months.

Or even in three years.

There's no quick fix for what ails us.

+1 No hope in hell of Us (we Brits) Adjusting that quickly, hence although GBP is back on the rise, I suspect investors are expecting the UK to surge forward ...and we might just do that, but not without GBP becoming more competative (AKA devalued further).

That would create jobs, but the flip side is it would also create massive inflation for imported goods. Nice thing about inflation is... those in charge can decide how it is measured and switch between the 2x chosen methods of measuring it!

How cool is that, One safe bet is the "SPREAD" between RPI/CPI is made ever bigger YOY! and more and more "Services" and "Commitments" are linked to the one that is the lower of the TWO.