House Price Crash Forum

Renting For 20 Years

HOLA441

Just noticed on another thread that Nomadd has rented for 20 years.

Why????? What has he spent his money on?

Probably wasted it on fine wines, beautiful women, exotic holidays, gambling.

Bit late now, and a bit hypocritical IMO for him to wish for a house price crash.

HOLA442

Bit late now, and a bit hypocritical IMO for him to wish for a house price crash.

Think his name gives it away a little bit.......my sister's a bit nomadic aswell, never had any interest in owning. Some folk are like that.

HOLA443

Sounds like a fantastic life. If he dies tomorrow (sorry to be morbid) at least

he'll go out with a smile.

HOLA444
Think his name gives it away a little bit.......my sister's a bit nomadic aswell, never had any interest in owning. Some folk are like that.

Nah - his name is Damon Davidson.

He's got so little imagination that just reversing it was his best idea for a sign on.

His mind has been raddled by the drugs.

HOLA445

OR he could have invested it elsewhwere AND had the great time you describe (as waste).

How you gonna take it with you IS?

HOLA446
HOLA447
OR he could have invested it elsewhwere AND had the great time you describe (as waste).

How you gonna take it with you IS?

Sense of humour failure Sledgy??

So "super investor" Damon needs a house price crash to be able to afford a 1930's semi in a grotty London suburb. Is that what you're claiming?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

No, Nomad has spent/wasted his money on 20 years' RENT.

I would guess it is his landlord who will be spending money on fine wines, beautiful women, exotic holidays and gambling when he sells the house Nomad has bought for him...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest wrongmove
What has he spent his money on?

To quote someone or other:

"I spent half my money on fine wines, beautiful women, exotic holidays and gambling.

The other half, I wasted"

:P

HOLA4413
So what if he's rented for 20 years? It's his life ...

Of course.

However if he's never bought and therefore presumably never will why the obsession with house prices. There are loads of threads where he's wittering on - what's his motivation.

From memory he's a highly successful self-employed individual so it stands to reason that at some point over the last 20 years he could easily have afforded to buy property.

So why the desire for a house price crash now?

Come on "Damon" spill the beans - your public demands an explanation.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What have I spent my money on? Holidays, cars, motorbikes and women. And I still have 90% of it left. Yes, really.

I think you need to do a little more research before diplaying your "ignorance" (although maybe you're beyond that, as even your own choice of username implies...)

Anyway, to cut a long story short (as explained in other threads, if you'd bothered to read them): I'm a single guy with no dependents; I have a job I love, which has averaged me £750 / day for the last 7 years (just renewed my current contract today, BTW :P ); My total time as a contract IT Architect is 17 years, in which time I've pulled in just over £2,000,000 - I can prove this via Company's House, should you chose to put money where you very big mouth is; my current rent is less than 1 days pay; I like to be flexible on location as my work takes me around, thus I have no reason (i.e. kids) or desire to plant roots by tieing up hard cash in bricks-n-mortar. Mugs game.

Five years from now I may feel different. That might be the time to buy a house - but probably somewhere warm in the sunshine, not in the UK. My strong belief is that prices will be a lot lower in five years time, hence I'm currently saving £2700 / month renting rather than buying the house I currently rent - see the long thread of a couple of days back. Five years of that sort of saving is big bucks - and remember I've been doing that for 17 years. Hence buying a property - no matter what the price - isn't a problem for me. However timing is, as I refuse to throw away cash on a overpriced asset.

Now, could we have a look at your finances?

Anyway, thanks for your concern - but I'm not starving, so no need to worry. :P

Nomadd

Ps. Maybe see you at the next Ferrari Owners Club meet?

HOLA4416
What have I spent my money on? Holidays, cars, motorbikes and women.  And I still have 90% of it left. Yes, really.

I think you need to do a little more research before diplaying your "ignorance" (although maybe you're beyond that, as even your own choice of username implies...)

Anyway, to cut a long story short (as explained in other threads, if you'd bothered to read them): I'm a single guy with no dependents; I have a job I love, which has averaged me £750 / day for the last 7 years (just renewed my current contract today, BTW  :P ); My total time as a contract IT Architect is 17 years, in which time I've pulled in just over £2,000,000 - I can prove this via Company's House, should you chose to put money where you very big mouth is; my current rent is less than 1 days pay; I like to be flexible on location as my work takes me around, thus I have no reason (i.e. kids) or desire to plant roots by tieing up hard cash in bricks-n-mortar. Mugs game.

Five years from now I may feel different. That might be the time to buy a house - but probably somewhere warm in the sunshine, not in the UK. My strong belief is that prices will be a lot lower in five years time, hence I'm currently saving £2700 / month renting rather than buying the house I currently rent - see the long thread of a couple of days back. Five years of that sort of saving is big bucks - and remember I've been doing that for 17 years. Hence buying a property - no matter what the price - isn't a problem for me. However timing is, as I refuse to throw away cash on a overpriced asset.

Anyway, thanks for your concern - but I'm not starving, so no need to worry.  :P

Nomadd

..game.. set and match... ;)

HOLA4417
Of course.

However if he's never bought and therefore presumably never will why the obsession with house prices. There are loads of threads where he's wittering on - what's his motivation.

From memory he's a highly successful self-employed individual so it stands to reason that at some point over the last 20 years he could easily have afforded to buy property.

So why the desire for a house price crash now?

Come on "Damon" spill the beans - your public demands an explanation.

I have no "obsession" with house prices. I come to this site as it makes a refreshing change from the almost universal V.I. nonsense that's out there.

Why do I wish to see lower prices? Because - as I've pointing out to many other of the Ignorant types like yourself - I'd like to think that a generation of younger people in this country will be around to take care of me in my old age - you know, those people like Doctor's, Nurses, Police Officers, etc., etc. who can't afford to buy.

Plus I like to see anyone who's worked for success, over many years. The property ramping and greed over the last few years is the exact opposite of that. Still, those smug "I've made a bomb from property" buggers (who've actually made nothing but debt) seem to being hurting now, and that's making me really happy. Now they'll have to pick up the pieces, pay off their debts, and start working for a living... :D

Nomadd

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA4418
What have I spent my money on? Holidays, cars, motorbikes and women.  And I still have 90% of it left. Yes, really.

Anyway, to cut a long story short (as explained in other threads, if you'd bothered to read them): I'm a single guy with no dependents; I have a job I love, which has averaged me £750 / day for the last 7 years (just renewed my current contract today, BTW  :P ); My total time as a contract IT Architect is 17 years, in which time I've pulled in just over £2,000,000 - I can prove this via Company's House, should you chose to put money where you very big mouth is; my current rent is less than 1 days pay; I like to be flexible on location as my work takes me around, thus I have no reason (i.e. kids) or desire to plant roots by tieing up hard cash in bricks-n-mortar. Mugs game.

Anyway, thanks for your concern - but I'm not starving, so no need to worry.  :P

Nomadd

Fair play to you Nomadd. I work in IT and my earnings are pittance compared to you.

Ozz

P.s. Steve, where is your apology? :P

HOLA4419

Nomadd

Firstly - did you read all my comments in the thread? I stated earlier that you were a highly successful self employed individual. Congratulations I have no problem with your success. I chose the wine, women, fast cars deliberately.

Secondly - I hate Ferraris

Thirdly - buying a property, whilst a "mugs game" at the moment, most certainly was not at all times during the last 17 years. So although you claim to be saving £2700 per month at the moment it is a questionable snapshot and should be taken in the context of a much longer timeframe (very much longer in your case).

Fourthly - Is your name really Damon? It's Friday and this thread has always meant to be a bit of light hearted entertainment. Don't forget I've fought long and hard to become the site fool and I don't intend to give that position up lightly!

HOLA4420
Fourthly - Is your name really Damon?

Damon? Only one I know is the "Hill" bloke - I used to race him way back in the good old days.

Don't forget I've fought long and hard to become the site fool...

And you're doing a great job of it. Keep up the hard work. :D

Nomadd

HOLA4421
Damon? Only one I know is the "Hill" bloke - I used to race him way back in the good old days.

And you're doing a great job of it. Keep up the hard work.  :D

Nomadd

Takes a great deal of thought and effort to appear so stupid.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just be boring instead.

HOLA4422
I have no "obsession" with house prices. I come to this site as it makes a refreshing change from the almost universal V.I. nonsense that's out there.

Why do I wish to see lower prices? Because - as I've pointing out to many other of the Ignorant types like yourself - I'd like to think that a generation of younger people in this country will be around to take care of me in my old age - you know, those people like Doctor's, Nurses, Police Officers, etc., etc. who can't afford to buy.

Plus I like to see anyone who's worked for success, over many years. The property ramping and greed over the last few years is the exact opposite of that. Still, those smug "I've made a bomb from property" buggers (who've actually made nothing but debt) seem to being hurting now, and that's making me really happy. Now they'll have to pick up the pieces, pay off their debts, and start working for a living...  :D

Nomadd

EDIT: Spelling

110% agree and respect your opinion, well said

HOLA4423
My total time as a contract IT Architect is 17 years, in which time I've pulled in just over £2,000,000

Well done. Didn't realise IT architects were around in 1988.

A relative of mine has a similar job in London so I know how well it pays nowadays.

:lol: Turning up in a Ferrari doesn't always spell success. I bet a fair few of the members at your club meet are secretly up to their necks in debt. (apart from you of course Nomad)

I refuse to throw away cash on a overpriced asset.

If you had bought a property in 1995 you could have sold it today and bought even more 'Ferraris' with the profits. I think that was the point Ignorant Steve was trying to make.

HOLA4424
Well done. Didn't realise IT architects were around in 1988.

Nope, they weren't called that in those days. Best you could call yourself was a Freelance Analyst/Programmer, Business Analyst, etc. Still, who cares as long as they were paying the bill! :)

A relative of mine has a similar job in London so I know how well it pays nowadays.

:lol: Turning up in a Ferrari doesn't always spell success. I bet a fair few of the members at your club meet are secretly up to their necks in debt.

Good heavens, you mean the MEW brigade? They tell me they are worth a fortune...on paper. :blink:

If you had bought a property in 1995 you could have sold it today and bought even more 'Ferraris' with the profits. I think that was the point Ignorant Steve was trying to make.

And it's a fair point. To which I'd counter that things are always rosier looking back. Who knew that the "ramping" of the next 5 years (in London) was just around the corner in 1995? I knew plenty of people who were still up to their eyes in Negative Equity at that point - the same people who told me I was an idiot in the late 80's as I didn't buy... And I was sharing witth mates from Uni.; having a great time, and with the rent split four ways it was dirt cheap. Sure, property was cheaper then, but IRs were sky high, so I was still massively better off renting...

And if I'd been "buying" a property all these last 20 years - with payments about 3-5 times what I was paying in rent - just where was all that money going? The bank, as profit on their mortgage, that's where! By stuffing the cash in the bank, I can now afford to just buy a place cash if I want to, and not pay three times the price of the property with that extra 200% going to the bank coffers. And for now, the contract work seems to be holding up pretty well, so I'll just keep throwing money on the pile and watch the property market crash over the next few yerars (queue all the bulls who'll jump in and tell me that it's all too late now and I've already missed the boat! :D )

Nomadd

HOLA4425