House Price Crash Forum
cypher007

Maybe This Is Why No Hpc

This guy sums it up nicely for me.

but in 25 years you have 140K house if you buy

if you rent in 25 years your still renting. Until the day you die.

When you retire, try rent on a pension. Good tactic that

This guy sums it up nicely for me.

Well, we would agree with that.

We'd all prefer to buy and retire in our own homes, just not at an artificially inflated value which puts you in hock for 50% of your income to the bank for the next 25 years.

Well, we would agree with that.

We'd all prefer to buy and retire in our own homes, just not at an artificially inflated value which puts you in hock for 50% of your income to the bank for the next 25 years.

I've been renting for the last five years and retired for coming up three. We are now considering not renting a permanent base home in England, but rather, moving around and taking out two or three month rentals.

This could be... winter in Italy/Spain... Spring in South of France... Summer in Northern France... Autumn in Amsterdam/UK? It sounds like it may suit us for a few years, worth a try.

I've been renting for the last five years and retired for coming up three. We are now considering not renting a permanent base home in England, but rather, moving around and taking out two or three month rentals.

This could be... winter in Italy/Spain... Spring in South of France... Summer in Northern France... Autumn in Amsterdam/UK? It sounds like it may suit us for a few years, worth a try.

Where are finding these 2 or 3 month rentals?

It seems to me that most places want at least 6 months unless you can find a more expensive holiday rental that has large gaps in availability

Aren't rents currently less than a typical repayment on an IO mortgage? Even if they weren't you could invest what would be the repayment portion in a prudently diversified portfolio and still end up wealthier renting rather than owning an home (especially from this point forward). And all that money saved on largely useless crap you would fill your house with and all those maintenance headaches avoided as well.

Would suit me too!

I was just saying, 'you pay a mortgage for 25 years then it's yours' is a point we can all agree on.

It's just that 25 years is a long time to give away half of your income to the bank for a shoebox in a crappy area. It's making that part of the equation that we want to change!

Edited by Kyoto

Brilliant plan and sounds like you could get rid off a lot of accumulated dross by doing this. Best thing I ever did was chucking out most of my possessions. Didn't happen all at once though.

Where are finding these 2 or 3 month rentals?

It seems to me that most places want at least 6 months unless you can find a more expensive holiday rental that has large gaps in availability

The apartment we rented on the Cote d'azure in May, cost €900 for a month. The trick is to arrive by car, book into an hotel for a few nights and do a tour of the apartments with 'to let' signs, cash in hand ;).

Doesn't sound like a bad plan at all. The only problem could be getting somewhere decent on a 3 month rental. Probably not so hard these days, but it may get harder in future. I guess you could always use a long-stay serviced apartment / hotel / campervan while you are looking for something to rent.

Get yourself a campervan. Rent for 6 months in the winter - easy in Spain 6 months for a decent place = about 3 grand including bills. When the weather gets warmer in April, get in your van and head north. You can even visit the UK without having to spend any time in slaveboxland, just visit the nice bits. You can also find seasonal work throughout europe if you want additional money. Worked for me until I found a place that I wanted to buy (not in UK).

It makes you realise that sitting on HPC all day exposes you to totally different opinions from those of 99% of the rest of the population.

In complete agreement. Unfortunately, we are the exception, not the rule.

A good friend of mine has sold his house recently and 'traded up' to one worth £190k. He's got himself a (I think) 3.9% fixed for two years, but the loan is for 35 YEARS!!!

Another friend of mine couldn't sell his terraced 70k (Rotherham) house, and so has bought his new house without selling his old one, hoping to rent it out.

Both of them would be in serious trouble were interest rates to rise, but that really doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Meanwhile, I sit, deposit in bank, biding my time....

...watching it erode. So. I've decided, I shall be buying when I find a house I like.

Game over, the house always wins.

Get yourself a campervan. Rent for 6 months in the winter - easy in Spain 6 months for a decent place = about 3 grand including bills. When the weather gets warmer in April, get in your van and head north. You can even visit the UK without having to spend any time in slaveboxland, just visit the nice bits. You can also find seasonal work throughout europe if you want additional money. Worked for me until I found a place that I wanted to buy (not in UK).

campervanman, maybe you could explain a bit more about all of this works and what you were did over the years, how you found work etc, what you did?

Maybe start a new thread as it sounds like an interesting lifestyle!

A few years back my services were required by a company based overseas. They paid for me to live in a lovely hotel for about 6 months on and off. All very nice. There were a number of people who were also long-term guests there. One couple in particular were very nice. They had sold their business (and home) and decided to live in hotels all year round. (Good hotels on the beach, not travelodges etc.) In the summer, they went up to Seattle area, in the winter they went down to SoCal. They had a little mini Cooper with a couple of suitcases and that was everything they owned - apart from some millions in the bank presumably. They really enjoyed the lifestyle. And so did I for my short time there.

Interestingly, his name was Bruce too.

Aren't rents currently less than a typical repayment on an IO mortgage? Even if they weren't you could invest what would be the repayment portion in a prudently diversified portfolio and still end up wealthier renting rather than owning an home (especially from this point forward). And all that money saved on largely useless crap you would fill your house with and all those maintenance headaches avoided as well.

That used to be the case until about 2008. I used to rent a lovely place worth about 250k.... the income from 100k of investments paid the rent in full. My BTL landlord was subsidising my rent.

Now your prudently diversified portfolio is as rare as rocking horse poo. I can't think of anything that would pay a significant yield with low to moderate risk.

campervanman, maybe you could explain a bit more about all of this works and what you were did over the years, how you found work etc, what you did?

Maybe start a new thread as it sounds like an interesting lifestyle!

Nothing difficult. Parking a van in Europe is simple and free if you want. France in particular is very van friendly. Many small towns and villages have 'aire de service' where you can park up safely overnight for free, get your water for the next day and use the toilets and sometimes showers too. They do this because the visitors attracted are likely to spend money there using the local businesses. As for work, I didn't need to find work but throughout the summer months through to grape picking time in September there is loads of seasonal work if you are prepared to ask around.Mind you can live on the road very cheaply when comparedto the costs of living in a house. You will meet loads of people doing the same as you, It's another world out there, a world running in parallel to the conventional, get a good job, buy a house and sign away the rest of your life to the bank.

Edited by campervanman

Would suit me too!

I was just saying, 'you pay a mortgage for 25 years then it's yours' is a point we can all agree on.

It's just that 25 years is a long time to give away half of your income to the bank for a shoebox in a crappy area. It's making that part of the equation that we want to change!

So you've slaved away for 40 years, now retired and the gaff belongs to you , lock stock and barrel.

But the back's gone and the wife's got arthritis , so no more DIY for you or the Mrs. You pay to get the lawns cut, you pay to get the hedges cut; any repairs, renewals or redecoration and out comes that wallet yet again.

Insurance costs rising and the quiet, elderly and considerate neighbour next door has croaked and been replaced by a large family of neanderthals,complete with boy-racing, music thumping sons and their dogs that dump on your drive most days. And of course, your little palace that you've worked so hard to buy, stands there in all its static glory, just waiting for day the state decides to take its share.....yet again.

I'm badly missing the plot. Tell me again why you'd want to be a retired home-owner??

Nothing difficult. Parking a van in Europe is simple and free if you want. France in particular is very van friendly. Many small towns and villages have 'aire de service' where you can park up safely overnight for free, get your water for the next day and use the toilets and sometimes showers too. They do this because the visitors attracted are likely to spend money there using the local businesses. As for work, I didn't need to find work but throughout the summer months through to grape picking time in September there is loads of seasonal work if you are prepared to ask around.Mind you can live on the road very cheaply when comparedto the costs of living in a house. You will meet loads of people doing the same as you, It's another world out there, a world running in parallel to the conventional, get a good job, buy a house and sign away the rest of your life to the bank.

Sounds excellent to me and I agree that France is a great country to do this. I have been very tempted to do this myself, with an online business it sometimes seems crazy to stay in the UK for any length of time, if it wasn't for family and friends I would not be here now, but they are important so I am 'stuck' here for the time being.

However I am planning on escaping for the winter for a few months, probably NZ where I have another good set of friends and where I can enjoy another summer (and a real summer!). Despite staying in temporary places out there I know I will be better off, even with £1000 worth of flights etc because I won't have the high UK rent, gym memberships, tv/broadband, council tax etc etc draining my bank account every month.

So not only is it a lifestyle choice, its also a financial choice to have a break from the UK.

I seriously would like to own my own place in the UK but there is no way I'd pay the current silly prices. Happy to save, invest elsewhere for a few years then buy for cash when prices drop, and I won't need them to drop too much, just a bit more.

True - I'd say 95% of the people are like this!! We are a small subset. If prices do crash, we'll be against a LOT of people wanting the same properties we do, and they'll be RABID to get it........ I saw a young couple, can't have been more than 25, walk out of a £250k house this weekend!! Everybody is DYING to get a large house in a nice area no matter WHAT the costs. This is what we're up against. It is NO USE fighting it anymore - this is simply how it is. We can wait and wait but sentiment wont change, and you'll have to be quick to make a purchase lest you get beaten to it. (Yes, I'm a bear - a despondent one)

True - I'd say 95% of the people are like this!! We are a small subset. If prices do crash, we'll be against a LOT of people wanting the same properties we do, and they'll be RABID to get it........ I saw a young couple, can't have been more than 25, walk out of a £250k house this weekend!! Everybody is DYING to get a large house in a nice area no matter WHAT the costs. This is what we're up against. It is NO USE fighting it anymore - this is simply how it is. We can wait and wait but sentiment wont change, and you'll have to be quick to make a purchase lest you get beaten to it. (Yes, I'm a bear - a despondent one)

I wouldn't worry about competition to buy at, or near to, the bottom of the market. By that time, 95% of the population will probably be saying not to touch property with a barge pole, having had their fingers badly burned ;).

I agree with this... I have to say that a lot of bears might be disappointed if and when the crash does come. The first people in the EA offices will be people who already have money, have good credit histories, secure jobs, STRers etc. Those with equity and cash will get preferential treatment. The best properties will go quickly to those with the money. A struggling FTBer with only a small deposit might not have the same resources or opportunities.

No matter what people on here think, the general population will always return to property as an investment. Despite everything, despite the same old boom and bust. The only way to stop it is to tax the hell out of BTL, and that's unlikely.

Can I ask whilst on this thread - this weekend I was out looking at houses, something to do... see what it's like. Nobody else viewing yet supposedly it was 'busy'. I asked what discounts there were for cash buyers. Typical replies - £3-4k on a £180k house. P!sh, I thought... 10% or nothing! (I'm not looking to buy - maybe in 3 years)

That's nice, but nothing in this country happens if you don't have a postcode. What's it like in France?

No matter what people on here think, the general population will always return to property as an investment. Despite everything, despite the same old boom and bust. The only way to stop it is to tax the hell out of BTL, and that's unlikely.

"Buy to Let" has only been a mainstream investment since Gordon Brown raped the pension industry and everyone was encouraged into the new "Buy to Let" industry. Before that rental properties were mostly owned by professional (as in they make their living out of it) landlords.