House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Retailers Plan For A Cautious Christmas Over Budget Fears

High street retailers are already planning for a cautious Christmas trading period due to mixed messages about the economy and concern among consumers about house prices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7933100/Retailers-plan-for-a-cautious-Christmas-over-budget-fears.html

High street retailers are already planning for a cautious Christmas trading period due to mixed messages about the economy and concern among consumers about house prices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7933100/Retailers-plan-for-a-cautious-Christmas-over-budget-fears.html

Concerned that prices are far, far too high. I agree with them

About time, Christmas has morphed into an obcene spending frenzy over the last 20 years or so.

This obscene pressure to spend vast amounts of money on gifts and crap that the recipent invariably does not want/need (see those dreadful shampoo/soap packs or the novely beer bottles) is very sad and totally unsustainable.

I think they TRY to get people to spend saying that 20% VAT is about to happen, last chance etc......I also think it make no differance & a Bloodbath Xmas will start the ball rolling.

Mike

God, how many times have we had this prediction? It never ever comes true. People just dont spend less at Christmas.

I predict christmas spending will be up on previous years, like it is every single year. Tesco and Sainsburys will have record profits over the period.

God, how many times have we had this prediction? It never ever comes true. People just dont spend less at Christmas.

I predict christmas spending will be up on previous years, like it is every single year. Tesco and Sainsburys will have record profits over the period.

I expect the supermarkets will make lots of money - agreed. However, a couple of thoughts:

1) Supermarket spending is surely mostly food and other essentials - it's the non-essential shops/products that are going to suffer.

2) Public sector cuts are on the way later this year.

too true,,,the shopping channels ALREADY are having christmas product shows...Christmas will be an all year round activity soon enough...like the fracking football money go round.

Here's how Christmas works for your average family:

Had a bad year, lost your job, income down.....etc...? Well we're damn well going to have a good Christmas. After all, it's Christmas.

Had a decent year, got a few quid, things looking up etc....Lets blow a few grand on Christmas then.

Concerned that prices are far, far too high. I agree with them

Simply because most goods are double what they pay in America doesn't mean they are overpriced.

Does it?

Yes this is correct, retailers bowls become loose every year but things turn out OK in the end.

But one of these years it really will be different.

I don't do christmas myself, just get a bit of overtime though.

Yes this is correct, retailers bowls become loose every year but things turn out OK in the end.

But one of these years it really will be different.

I don't do christmas myself, just get a bit of overtime though.

But margins are being attacked every year highligted by retailer bankruptsies every January.

I blame NMW ;)

I stopped celebrating crapmas about 25 years ago.

It's a wonderful feeling not having to bother with it. Also a good laugh watching things like two old trouts

fight over the last multipack of crisps in Sainsburys during the final gluttonyfest shopping trip.

Edited by Olebrum