House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Tories Tell Tenants In 'big' Homes: Time To Go

Tories tell tenants in 'big' homes: Time to go

Finally the scum are being kicked out of their taxpayer funded mansions. Excellent.

Now the landlords need to find some one else to pay their stupidly high rents.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/08/08/tories-tell-tenants-in-big-homes-time-to-go-115875-22472926/

A flagship Tory council has started moves to kick people out of subsidised homes it believes are too big for them.

PM David Cameron unveiled his plan to end "council housing for life" last week, in a move which infuriated Lib Dems in his coalition Government.

Now Kensington and Chelsea council has been calling tenants in properties considered too large for them, offering advice about moving to smaller flats.

One resident, childminder Carla Farinhas, 58, who lives alone in a two-bed flat, said: "I couldn't sleep for two nights. Why make me move?" A Kensington and Chelsea spokeswoman said the council was simply telling tenants "the benefits of downsizing".

An estimated 1.75 million households - about five million people - are now on local authority waiting lists for a home.

Why does the women 'need' two beds if she's living alone and why does she 'need' to live in Kensington and Chelsea in the first place?!

Edited by Pent Up

Why does the women 'need' two beds if she's living alone and why does she 'need' to live in Kensington and Chelsea in the first place?!

They had this debate on the radio the other day. People kept phoning in to say things like they needed the extra bedroom in case they had visitors to stay etc. these people seem to have forgotton that council housing is a state asset and should be allocated according to need not who might be coming to visit.

Don't agree with the tone of the OP but there does need to be some mechanism to free up 3 or 4 bed council houses with only one or two residents so that a family that needs a house that size can move in. At the moment persuasion, encouragement and bribes are all that's available to get a tenant to move from a big house to a 2 bed or a flat.

They had this debate on the radio the other day.  People kept phoning in to say things like they needed the extra bedroom in case they had visitors to stay etc.  these people seem to have forgotton that council housing is a state asset and should be allocated according to need not who might be coming to visit.

God bless you :)

tenants are scum.

meanwhile, overstretched borrowers are fully entitled to their interest paid at 6.25% on the first £200,000 of their IO mortgage, regardless of the interest rate they pay to the bank.

Tories tell tenants in 'big' homes: Time to go

Finally the scum are being kicked out of their taxpayer funded mansions. Excellent.

Now the landlords need to find some one else to pay their stupidly high rents.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/08/08/tories-tell-tenants-in-big-homes-time-to-go-115875-22472926/

Yes, I'd love to be able to afford to rent a nice two bedroom flat in Kensington & Chelsea, (actually a 1b would be fine) extra room would be great to to have 'visitors' over though.

Unfortunately i have something called a 'job' and pay this thing called 'tax' - quite a lot of it, needed to fund big fats rents for HB tenants to live in 2 bed flats in K&C, while knobheads like me get to live in a shared house... because my tax money paying the HB for these people makes rents so high...??

I can't believe this has gone on for as long as it has, and think this government has finally started to get it right. Even the new HB maximum levels proposed, (i believe to £280 a week for a 1bed flat )still seem more than generous with a lot of working people scratching around to find something cheaper.

Yes, I'd love to be able to afford to rent a nice two bedroom flat in Kensington & Chelsea, (actually a 1b would be fine) extra room would be great to to have 'visitors' over though.

Unfortunately i have something called a 'job' and pay this thing called 'tax' - quite a lot of it, needed to fund big fats rents for HB tenants to live in 2 bed flats in K&C, while knobheads like me get to live in a shared house... because my tax money paying the HB for these people makes rents so high...??

I can't believe this has gone on for as long as it has, and think this government has finally started to get it right. Even the new HB maximum levels proposed, (i believe to £280 a week for a 1bed flat )still seem more than generous with a lot of working people scratching around to find something cheaper.

Yes they have made a start on it. But there's a long way to go to make the system sensible. The maximum rent should that which someone on minimum wage could afford. If that means moving area then so be it.

I also believe that life at the council's expense should not be comfortable. The basic minimum should be provided but that's it. And if the minimum requirements change then what is provided should change too (whether to a bigger house or a smaller house). There are plenty people who need to move house for their job. It is not unreasonable that those without jobs might be required to move too.

Can't we pass a law which says that any spare rooms in council-owned properties are forcibly rented out to migrant workers, asylum seekers, and other people who are good for our economy ? In fact why not give preference to Indian IT workers on ICT visas ?

I also believe that life at the council's expense should not be comfortable. The basic minimum should be provided but that's it. And if the minimum requirements change then what is provided should change too (whether to a bigger house or a smaller house). There are plenty people who need to move house for their job. It is not unreasonable that those without jobs might be required to move too.

yep..thats what the Germans did between the wars...sent workers to hostels, later renamed, to work on the countrys' "stimulus"...building the fortress Germany.

That is a yawning abyss away from teh current position. Council tenants have way better treatment than private tenants.

Take a gander at the TSA regulatory framework in all its infinite detail:

http://www.tenantservicesauthority.org/server/show/ConWebDoc.20175

meanwhile, overstretched borrowers are fully entitled to their interest paid at 6.25% on the first £200,000 of their IO mortgage, regardless of the interest rate they pay to the bank.

....that's why you love paying your taxes.... :rolleyes:

I wish someone would just write Dave a note

"build more council housing"

It's solve the LHA thing and make the workforce who rents a bit happier too.

Drop the required standard for council housing and HAs could lease all the empty flats.

tenants are scum.

that's not fair that's only £240 a week some one in rented accommodation gets £400 a week and the landlord carries out all the repairs free of charge. house owners are being ripped off. :D

Drop the required standard for council housing and HAs could lease all the empty flats.

Burn the man who allowed planning permission for flats that don't need council standards?

Burn the man who allowed planning permission for flats that don't need council standards?

Or Garages too small for cars...and bedrooms too small for beds.

..that's what the Tory Government did in the early 50's which helped stimulate the post war boom....takes the price pressure of other rented accommodation, house prices and provides jobs in all sectors .....and housing for most needs.... :rolleyes:

tenants are scum.

the borrowers need to pay this back. What do council tennants taking a free ride have to pay back?

the borrowers need to pay this back. What do council tennants taking a free ride have to pay back?

No, thats the other scheme that has helped a dozen or so defaulters where the banks have been guaranteed the debt, which rolls up for up to two years....IIRC.

Yes they have made a start on it. But there's a long way to go to make the system sensible. The maximum rent should that which someone on minimum wage could afford. If that means moving area then so be it.

" The maximum rent should that which someone on minimum wage could afford."

Can you tell me what area that would be then , as most people on munimum wage live at home with parent's , or are the second wage in a household.

Fact people on NMW can not affford rent.

Can you tell me what area that would be then , as most people on munimum wage live at home with parent's , or are the second wage in a household.

they could if rents werent subsidised.

Fiction. As we worked out on the other thread, NMW is about £870 per month. Plenty of HMOs around here with prices around £250.

I agree though that those on NMW shouldn't be in a worse position than those on benefits. It is hugely unfair to those who work very hard to earn a living.

Edited by libspero

I also believe that life at the council's expense should not be comfortable.

Indeed but those who don't pay their rent get evicted which is not especially comfortable. Or do you mean at the government's expense as HB comes from them via the council?