House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikhail Liebenstein

Now They'll Build Even Fewer Homes

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/all-new-homes-to-run-on-green-power-by-2016-2046499.html

I am not against energy saving measure in homes as they are generally a sensible thing, but I don't subscribe to this Micro Generation nonsense, as I don't see that the economics ever work out, surely its better in the UK to go for large scale, efficient and environmentally friendly schemes and then make sure people use energy saving technologies.

To me this proposal looks like something that will limit new build housing supplies and just push up prices by the extra £15k it costs to meet the plan.

To me this proposal looks like something that will limit new build housing supplies and just push up prices by the extra £15k it costs to meet the plan.

Possible.

Alternatively, you could start from the assumption that people are already paying all the money available to them for any given house, and that builders have made all available efficiency savings. In which case, prices could not go up. Therefore a house would cost 15k more to build, but its sale price would stay the same. The value of building land would therefore fall by 15k per plot.

Which might be a good thing.

There are two new (last five years) developments in my road: small blocks of new flats (about 20 between the two of them).

I consider it scandalous that those were built without at least solar hot water panels. Could efficiently supply 100% of hot water in this season, and make a good contribution to heating+hot water even in winter. And add real value to the flats.

[edit to add] and ground source heat pump to fill the gap. My brother and sister-in-law are adding that to their house, which is a whole lot more trouble than building it in in the first place.

Edited by porca misèria

Guest Noodle

Possible.

Alternatively, you could start from the assumption that people are already paying all the money available to them for any given house, and that builders have made all available efficiency savings. In which case, prices could not go up. Therefore a house would cost 15k more to build, but its sale price would stay the same. The value of building land would therefore fall by 15k per plot.

Which might be a good thing.

Absolutely correct.

There are two new (last five years) developments in my road: small blocks of new flats (about 20 between the two of them).

I consider it scandalous that those were built without at least solar hot water panels. Could efficiently supply 100% of hot water in this season, and make a good contribution to heating+hot water even in winter. And add real value to the flats.

[edit to add] and ground source heat pump to fill the gap. My brother and sister-in-law are adding that to their house, which is a whole lot more trouble than building it in in the first place.

Is it cost-effective? Does it require government subsidy?

I am not against energy saving measure in homes as they are generally a sensible thing, but I don't subscribe to this Micro Generation nonsense, as I don't see that the economics ever work out, surely its better in the UK to go for large scale, efficient and environmentally friendly schemes and then make sure people use energy saving technologies.

If we all turned out TVs off at night we could do without one whole power station.

Local is good I reckon. Putting a hot water system on houses is going to make more sense if you're planning it before you build them. Get the houses all lines up in the ideal direction for a start!

If we all turned out TVs off at night we could do without one whole power station.

Local is good I reckon. Putting a hot water system on houses is going to make more sense if you're planning it before you build them. Get the houses all lines up in the ideal direction for a start!

do yo know, I beleive that is nonsense.

lets suppose we have 100 power stations.

are you saying that the TV red lamp takes 1% of all the power generation in the UK??

Guest Noodle

If the green zealots get their way we wont have houses to put mini power plants in. We'll all be living in rabbit hutch flats stacked 30 floors on top of each other.

I'll be happier when you guys can even have that.

The price of new builds over the last decade should have meant the highest quality of construction known to NASA and solar water heating on each roof as a minimum, with Swedish thicknesses of insulation.

Instead you have lightweight poor quality construction on weak foundations stacked 30 to acre with the bare minimum of insulation permitted.

. . . and they still cost £2XX,XXX.

I'll be happier when you guys can even have that.

The price of new builds over the last decade should have meant the highest quality of construction known to NASA and solar water heating on each roof as a minimum, with Swedish thicknesses of insulation.

Instead you have lightweight poor quality construction on weak foundations stacked 30 to acre with the bare minimum of insulation permitted.

. . . and they still cost £2XX,XXX.

and no drainage installed by the developers either so we get flooding.

Guest Noodle

and no drainage installed by the developers either so we get flooding.

Sorry about that. :ph34r::(