House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potwalloper

Finalist Dies At World Sauna Event In Finland

Russian finalist Vladimir Ladyzhensky and Finnish rival Timo Kaukonen were both taken to hospital after collapsing and Mr Ladyzhensky later died.

The event, which has been running since 1999, requires participants to withstand 110C for as long as possible.

...Mr Kaukonen, who was last year's champion, is being treated in hospital at the city of Lahti.

Still pictures from the event released by news wires showed the pair being treated after having collapsed, apparently suffering burns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10904691

How have I missed this competitve sport until now?

FFS! :rolleyes:

Now we know why Sibley isnt posting anymore.

this place was hot for his comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-10904691

How have I missed this competitve sport until now?

Misreporting at its worst.

it wasnt the heat that got them, it was the thrashing with Barbed wire whips and the liquid nitrogen dip that follows...

Tough guys? I sht em.

"Spectators were deeply shocked by the accident"

Can't believe something like this even has spectators. Oh well at least he died following his dreams.

"Spectators were deeply shocked by the accident"

Can't believe something like this even has spectators. Oh well at least he died following his dreams.

they have lots of places with peepholes in saunas in Europe dontchaknow.

Maddeningly it doesn't mention how long the idiots remain in the sauna for. Or am I not looking hard enough?

Telegraph says 6 minutes at 110C

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/7932694/Sauna-endurance-finalist-collapses-and-dies-in-110C.html

In the saturated air of a sauna, you're basically poaching yourself at those temps. I remember reading somewhere that only Finns have ever won it. (started in 1999 apparently)

What a bunch of idiots. Hard to have any sympathy. These people were actually trying to kill themselves. One managed to succeed. Well done to that chap.

Six minutes, is that it?

When I go in a sauna, I go for 10 mins easy, although the temp is only 90c.

You either need a new watch, or a new temperature gauge.

Half a litre of water was added to the stove inside the sauna every 30 seconds, and the last person remaining was the winner.

Once I was sat in a sauna in the middle of nowhere in Finland and some lad came in and tossed so much water onto the stove that it took the front of my face off. I had to apologise for being English and run outside to the lake. Sauna is a Finnish word pronounced as sowna not sorna. I think in Russia they're called banyas. They are part of daily life in Finnish culture. You get them in Sweden and Norway to but I always think of the Finns as being the kings of saunas. You can develop your sauna skills. I figured out that the trick is to periodically go outside and jump in the cold lake or get a cold shower and then back into the sauna. Your body can then take greater temperatures. With my methods I managed to outlast a Czech guy last year who I could see was getting more and more fidgety as he reached his limit.

Guest X-QUORK

Has there been any serious research to establish whether saunas are beneficial to health or not?

Unless you're Russian - then you're Finished!

Sauna plus multidisciplinary treatment may reduce chronic pain more effectively than multidisciplinary treatment alone. Sauna reduces chronic pain more effectively than cognitive behaviour therapy. It is indicated for rheumatic pain (with cold shower) but not for neuropathic pain.[31] Is effective for appetite loss and mild depression.[32] Indicated in reducing symptoms in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,[19][33] and rheumatoid arthritis,[34] and indicated for anorexia nervosa.[35] Sauna improves function in conditions such as, congestive heart failure, and high blood pressure, improves vasodilation, improves heart arrhythmia, and reduces heart rate on exercise. Sauna has been proposed for treatment of other conditions such as, glaucoma,[36] Sjogren syndrome,[37] chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia,[38] anorexia nervosa, obstructive lung disease,[39] recuperation after childbirth, and also for lifestyle related diseases of, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, atherosclerosis and smoking induced symptoms.[40]

Sauna has also been found to reduce levels of stress hormones adrenalin and noradrenalin and to increase levels of beta endorphin. However it also causes a substantial rise in the stress hormones ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone), and cortisol due to hyperthermic stress on the body. Cortisol remains high even after 30 minutes of rest.[41]. Sauna also found to reduce prostaglandin F2alpha and protect against oxidative stress. It enhances activation of monocytes to bacteria and endotoxins.[42]

Other benefits of saunas: It has shown that regular saunas combined with exercise therapy can efficiently clear organic chemicals,[43] solvents,[44] drugs, pharmaceuticals even PCBs[45] and heavy metals from the body.[46]

In addition a sauna followed by a cold shower has been shown to reduce pain in rheumatoid arthritis where pain is mediated by sensitised c-fibre sympathetics. Regular saunas have also been found to improve micro circulation reduce vasoconstriction and hypertension.[47][48] Many symptoms of chronic illnesses may be due to vasoconstriction effects e.g. cold sensitivity, pain even mood states, and sauna improves microcirculation and blood supply to constricted areas.[49]

Research has also shown that adaptation to cold through short term cold stimulus, as in cold swimming, immersion (or showers) has the added benefit of improving the body's anti oxidant capabilities, with increases in glutathione and reduction of uric acid, which may mean better handling of the stresses of illness.[50] Those that are shown to involve reduced glutathione or increased glutathione use, include; cardiovascular conditions, pulmonary diseases, diabetes,[51] inflammatory bowel diseases, cancer, osteoporosis, aging, and after pesticide exposure.[52] Conditions involving oxidative stress include neuro degenerative diseases, CFS, bone fracture and others. Conditions in which increased uric acid may be a risk factor include, gout, metabolic disease and vascular diseases.

Has there been any serious research to establish whether saunas are beneficial to health or not?

There's some mention of research at the end of the Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauna

First time I went in a sauna was in Sweden where they call them bastu. I felt like shit before I went in. My whole body was aching like I was coming down with a bad cold. When I came out of the sauna those aches had completely disappeared and I felt right as rain.