House Price Crash Forum
Velgud

A Serious Question..

Just getting my early Sunday morning HPC fix and wondering what it actually is that the majority of readers on here really want...

I love the gore as much as the next person, but what is the end of the means?

I'll assume that the general answer will be "to see houses become affordable again" but given that affordability is relative, is this really a tangible goal? Moreover, aren't the majority of the STRers on here going to go out and buy an 'affordable' house once it becomes 'affordable' and thus cushion the crash before affordability reaches FTBers? Is that "suits me sir" attitude not blatant hypocrisy and at all any better than a BTLer's attitude?

Point being, is the core of this forum actually about HPC?

From what I read on here, the majority of people here want to see:

- a revolution

- the fall of the 'middle class'

- a return to domestic farming etc etc..

- war :ph34r:

So here's a poll.. what would you honestly prefer to see?

a) a house price crash

B) a full blown revolution

to be honest, I think I'm kinda gunning for (B):D

Just getting my early Sunday morning HPC fix and wondering what it actually is that the majority of readers on here really want...

I love the gore as much as the next person, but what is the end of the means?

I'll assume that the general answer will be "to see houses become affordable again" but given that affordability is relative, is this really a tangible goal? Moreover, aren't the majority of the STRers on here going to go out and buy an 'affordable' house once it becomes 'affordable' and thus cushion the crash before affordability reaches FTBers? Is that "suits me sir" attitude not blatant hypocrisy and at all any better than a BTLer's attitude?

Point being, is the core of this forum actually about HPC?

From what I read on here, the majority of people here want to see:

- a revolution

- the fall of the 'middle class'

- a return to domestic farming etc etc..

- war :ph34r:

So here's a poll.. what would you honestly prefer to see?

A a house price crash

B a full blown revolution

to be honest, I think I'm kinda gunning for B :D

Hmmm,

That is a tricky one.

I've not yet decided if I would prefer to see Tony Blair, Fred the Shred and chums hanging from lampposts or their heads on spikes on London Bridge.

Come the revolution, it is important to get these little details right.

Hmmm,

That is a tricky one.

I've not yet decided if I would prefer to see Tony Blair, Fred the Shred and chums hanging from lampposts or their heads on spikes on London Bridge.

Come the revolution, it is important to get these little details right.

i'd certainly like to see either of those two scenarios, with no particular preference. if that makes me a revolutionary then so be it

It's at times like this I want a nice piccie of some fearsome old woman covered from head to toe in religious garb ....

... nun of the above!

(unfortunately googling the term finds only crap)

Meritocracy.

- if you are contributing decently to society (ie, earning a decent wage), then to be able to buy your own place

- if you get into ridiculous debt, then are penalised for it rather than bailed out

- if you make stupid lending decisions, or invest in entities that do, then you and not taxpayers suffer

Basically the exact opposite of what is happening right now. I would rather see meritocracy and some collateral damage, than see the current morally hazardous situation continue of things being propped up.

I would like to see the gates of heaven and Hell open up and a mark placed on each person where they are going to go....in advance...with the option to make amends in the time you have left.

I want to live in a society where prudence (saving, forgoing conspicuous comsumption) is rewarded and profligacy is penalised.

On a more specific and selfish note, I want to buy a nice house for cash with my savings.

I want my children to live in a country where your vote counted and you can work hard at a modest job and still be able to afford with the basics of life with a few luxuries (shelter, wholesome food and warmth with days on the beach, a few bottles of good wine at the weekend and a little travel from time to time).

I also think we should bring back public flogging and maybe the stocks and hand them out instead of Asbos.

Edited by Reluctant Heretic

I would like to see the gates of heaven and Hell open up and a mark placed on each person where they are going to go....in advance...with the option to make amends in the time you have left.

That's a really good comment - Old Testament style instant judgement. D L Moody who did alot of research into near death experiences came to the conclusion that when each person dies they are shown everything they ever did and how it affected other people; they effectively become their own judges.

Edited by Reluctant Heretic

I want to be able to afford a place of shelter for my family that reflects the hard work that I do every day and the wage that I bring home so that my wife could choose not to work while she brings up our kids.

Is that too much?

Edited by rabbithole

I want my actions to determine my fate rather than the luck of when i was born.

I want those who were lucky with when they were born to understand it wasn't just hard work then and it can't just be hard work now.

I want to be able to choose whether or not I have a family, to not have to worry if this is the month I will be told to leave my home and have to find somewhere else to live by doffing my cap at someone else who got lucky, to choose if i want to decorate or improve the property I live in, to choose if the property I live in is put up for sale or not, to choose if I want a pet, for gods sake.

I want to be able to live without having to ask anyone elses permission.

I want more choice than taking on an unaffordable debt burden to become a debt slave or treated like a serf in someone elses property.

In a word, fairness.

People who contribute to society should be rewarded for their efforts. Those who break the law, refuse to work or are generally a burden on society (through their own choice) should not be equally rewarded.

A man doing an honest day's work should be able to afford an average home, without having to send his wife out to work. Call me sexist and old fashioned, but I rather like the traditional family roles idea.

I'd also like Kelly Brook.

I'd also like Kelly Brook.

yes, i forgot about that angle for a moment. for me it would be Lucy Porter, naked, munching a banana

...a track day in a Carrera GT

...& that old George Harrison staple - peace of mind

I think Peak Oil will deliver what I want through very high energy costs acting as a huge brake on excess:

A return to local living, a requirement for human physical labour leading to full employment, an end to silliness in general - celebs especially, less rushing about, less buying things, less debt, less government nonsense as they won't have the money to waste in the first place, more time for other people, more reading, more contentment.

I think Peak Oil will deliver what I want through very high energy costs acting as a huge brake on excess:

A return to local living, a requirement for human physical labour leading to full employment, an end to silliness in general - celebs especially, less rushing about, less buying things, less debt, less government nonsense as they won't have the money to waste in the first place, more time for other people, more reading, more contentment.

It sounds very good which makes it a shame that Peak Oil is VI nonsense.

Meritocracy.

- if you are contributing decently to society (ie, earning a decent wage), then to be able to buy your own place

- if you get into ridiculous debt, then are penalised for it rather than bailed out

- if you make stupid lending decisions, or invest in entities that do, then you and not taxpayers suffer

Basically the exact opposite of what is happening right now. I would rather see meritocracy and some collateral damage, than see the current morally hazardous situation continue of things being propped up.

+1 but it can't happen due to powerful VIs

Also to not buy a depreciating asset that will benefit the boomers

For us to be able to conduct our business using money-tokens that we had issued publicly, that is money issued debt-free by all of us money users in common, as a cost-free mutual utility, our own means of exchange.

I would like everyone to understand the burden of our present enforced use of the commercial bankers' rent-a-currency money-tokens.

http://www.bankofenglandact.co.uk/

I would just like to be able to afford to buy a house. We STR'd in Nov 2007 & my husband got made redundant at the same time. We swapped roles and so now he stays at home & looks after our 2 kids and I go out to work as a nurse. Even with our STR fund on my single salary we could not afford to buy a decent house in a decent area (meaning not on a local sink estate) here in Suffolk so it is not a question of what I would like but more of what is possible currently.As an aside I looked into taking the kids to Legoland for a treat - in what world is it right that this day out would cost £120!!! ( I mean WTF!! - how can anyone afford to take their kids there at that kind of f**king bonkers price) :angry:

Edited by duckwomanloulou

I would just like to be able to afford to buy a house. We STR'd in Nov 2007 & my husband got made redundant at the same time. We swapped roles and so now he stays at home & looks after our 2 kids and I go out to work as a nurse. Even with our STR fund on my single salary we could not afford to buy a decent house in a decent area (meaning not on a local sink estate) here in Suffolk so it is not a question of what I would like but more of what is possible currently.As an aside I looked into taking the kids to Legoland for a treat - in what world is it right that this day out would cost £120!!! ( I mean WTF!! - how can anyone afford to take their kids there at that kind of f**king bonkers price) :angry:

vouchers are good for these things..heres a current listing from MSE

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-theme-parks/legoland-vouchers