House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bloo Loo

I Fancy A Dirty Weekend In Wales

As Wales is generally pilloried in the hallowed halls of HPC, yet has mountains, miniature railways and stuff, is there anywhere an Essex boy and bird could go for a two night visit, see some sights and have some good food.

your suggestions welcome.

Thanks in Advance

Yaki dah!

Caernarvon is good. Nice in itself, seriously great castle - you can spend hours there quiet happily - views across to Anglesey and a short hop up to Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) and the easy (if long) walk to the summit. Crib Goch is a good alternative way down if you're good with heights.

Did it myself about ten years ago; very enjoyable. Stayed a few miles out of town in a pub down the coast but don't remember which one.

Caernarvon is good. Nice in itself, seriously great castle - you can spend hours there quiet happily - views across to Anglesey and a short hop up to Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) and the easy (if long) walk to the summit. Crib Goch is a good alternative way down if you're good with heights.

Did it myself about ten years ago; very enjoyable. Stayed a few miles out of town in a pub down the coast but don't remember which one.

call yerself Welsh? and praise a local Town? See..I knew it wasnt all bad.

I think I did go there once...and toured to some nearby lakes and valleys....went to a cave with a very very steep entrance...it rained and people were falling all over the show..not so bad going up to the cave ( I had a buggy to hang onto) but coming out and down....that was well dodgy...probably got a cable car and "little train" doing the work now I should think....thanks for the reminder..

any hotels to avoid?

call yerself Welsh?

a nice town....I think I did go there once...went to a cave with a very very steep entrance...it rained and people were falling all over the show..thanks for the reminder..

any hotels to avoid?

I'm not actually, though I have been there. It's a reference to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Have a google.

I don't know if I came up with this one or soembody told me but the best way to get good accommodation in the UK, and one that I always use, is to call up the local Tourist Information and ask them what they recommend. Then have a chat with them about what is worth visiting. They are incredibly helpful because they love somebody asking them about their area and taking time to have a chat with them.

Guest X-QUORK

I don't know if I came up with this one or soembody told me but the best way to get good accommodation in the UK, and one that I always use, is to call up the local Tourist Information and ask them what they recommend. Then have a chat with them about what is worth visiting. They are incredibly helpful because they love somebody asking them about their area and taking time to have a chat with them.

True Frank, the Tourist Board are an incredibly useful organisation in my experience.

I'm not actually, though I have been there. It's a reference to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Have a google.

good tip...I though they were brochure sales offices in the main...I guess they have caught up with the French Tourist Offices where they will even book the rooms for you if you turn up...

Ill have to Google Saundersfoot..never heard of it...which is a plus point.

Guest absolutezero

Assuming you want peace and quiet:

The Lleyn peninsula is nice. Portmeirion to visit as well.

The Pembrokeshire coast is beautiful. That's the pig's snout bit.

Also Anglesey is extremely pleasant.

What do you like doing? Wales has loads of festivals and in September there is the Abergavenny Food Festival - great if you like food, drink and cooking; it's also an interesting old town with fab setting - surrounded by hills for walking. Saundersfoot is coastal and at the easy-to-reach M4 end. Gower Peninsula is lovely - south of Swansea: easy to get to with fab beaches, nice countyside and some good places to stay; Oxwich Bay is great. If you like hills and walking, Brecon Beacons is good.

If you don't mind going a bit further and like it rugged and coastal then the West coast is lovely (just got back this morning!); you can stay in numerous fab little places between the mountains and the sea. Surf is fine in NWest eg around Aberystwyth, or SWest below St David's, which is also good if you like bumbling in little galleries (can be a bit touristy though). Hay-On-Wye and the Golden Valley \ Wye Valley are beautiful, good for books, canoeing and walking. Celtic Manor is a decent hotel between Bristol and Cardiff with nice spa and good golf, but is hosting the Ryder Cup at the end Sept so may be busy.

What do you like doing?

Caernarvon seem very chavy when we were there earlier in the summer, lots of kids on mountain bikes smoking and causing trouble, alcoholics on the streets and a general feeling something was about to kick off. Me and my partner felt out of place (but being a mixed race couple probably didn't help). We hated it, and quickly got back into the countryside which was much more friendly...

Stay in the mountains, or somewhere less city/town based...

What do you like doing? Wales has loads of festivals and in September there is the Abergavenny Food Festival - great if you like food, drink and cooking; it's also an interesting old town with fab setting - surrounded by hills for walking. Saundersfoot is coastal and at the easy-to-reach M4 end. Gower Peninsula is lovely - south of Swansea: easy to get to with fab beaches, nice countyside and some good places to stay; Oxwich Bay is great. If you like hills and walking, Brecon Beacons is good.

If you don't mind going a bit further and like it rugged and coastal then the West coast is lovely (just got back this morning!); you can stay in numerous fab little places between the mountains and the sea. Surf is fine in NWest eg around Aberystwyth, or SWest below St David's, which is also good if you like bumbling in little galleries (can be a bit touristy though). Hay-On-Wye and the Golden Valley \ Wye Valley are beautiful, good for books, canoeing and walking. Celtic Manor is a decent hotel between Bristol and Cardiff with nice spa and good golf, but is hosting the Ryder Cup at the end Sept so may be busy.

What do you like doing?

having been dieting since February and recovering the losses gained on holiday..the food festival sounds nice...its only a short weekend break, so not a lot of time to do things...I have the walking boots, but the drive back precludes anything strenuous...

see, Wales is a desirable location after all...just need to persuade Mrs Loo...Going to Stroud next weekend, so Wales is the next step.

What do you like doing?

What a lovely little piece Drags. Reminded me of

550w_ds_icon_judith_chalmers_01.jpg

Guest X-QUORK

Going to Stroud next weekend, so Wales is the next step.

Make sure you go to the Stroud Food Market on Saturday morning, oh and Kanes Records is a great little place if you like music.

Make sure you go to the Stroud Food Market on Saturday morning, oh and Kanes Records is a great little place if you like music.

where is the market held?

having been dieting since February and recovering the losses gained on holiday..the food festival sounds nice...its only a short weekend break, so not a lot of time to do things...I have the walking boots, but the drive back precludes anything strenuous...

see, Wales is a desirable location after all...just need to persuade Mrs Loo...Going to Stroud next weekend, so Wales is the next step.

Should stick while you're ahead. Stroud is far enough. Day trips to Wales from there are feasible but caution pays dividends. Suggest only one enters at a time and carries a s/w radio in addition to mobile in case of problems. (Getting woad out of clothes is a pig)

p-o-p

Stroud.

doh!...we have food markets here, but they are usually in a farm somewhere not in Colchester.:lol:

Guest X-QUORK

where is the market held?

Head into town and as you walk up the main shopping street hang a right down an alleyway near the top of the hill, or just ask a local. It's all over by about 1pm, so get there in the morning if you can. Loads of excellent local and organic food...check out the cider stall if you fancy a tipple.

Head into town and as you walk up the main shopping street hang a right down an alleyway near the top of the hill, or just ask a local. It's all over by about 1pm, so get there in the morning if you can. Loads of excellent local and organic food...check out the cider stall if you fancy a tipple.

much obliged.

As Wales is generally pilloried in the hallowed halls of HPC, yet has mountains, miniature railways and stuff, is there anywhere an Essex boy and bird could go for a two night visit, see some sights and have some good food.

your suggestions welcome.

Thanks in Advance

Yaki dah!

Solva (Pemb. coast) is an incredibly pretty place with fantastic views and scenic walks etc. on doorstep. Ashamed to say I hadn't even heard of it until friends who were renting a cottage asked us to join for a weekend.

Maybe a bit of a hike from Essex for a weekend, though.

http://www.solva.net/

Solva (Pemb. coast) is an incredibly pretty place with fantastic views and scenic walks etc. on doorstep. Ashamed to say I hadn't even heard of it until friends who were renting a cottage asked us to join for a weekend.

Maybe a bit of a hike from Essex for a weekend, though.

http://www.solva.net/

Solva abuse is very popular around these parts.

thanks for the tip.

See...wales isnt so bad.

Mid-Wales is the best part of Wales IMO, the south and the north are both quite chavvy and feel English anyway.

Take the train from Birmingham and you are on the coast within 3 hours, the Cambrian Line is one of the most scenic routes in the UK. For a weekend you could probably stay here for under £100. Aberystwyth has a lot of good restaurants, 52 pubs within a square mile, and a couple of clubs for afterwards.

Mid-Wales is the best part of Wales IMO, the south and the north are both quite chavvy and feel English anyway.

snip

its a shame parts of England dont.