House Price Crash Forum

What Can You Rent For £50 In Your Area?

HOLA441

I could argue that a competitive market is one where buyers and sellers are free to compete with each other in the trade of goods.. but I fear I would be wasting my breath.

I have no doubt you would go right round in circles to avoid the obvious. Using common sense, a market in which there just isn't definitionaly any competition is not a competitive market. Also a market in which people are prevented from supplying, that is also not a competitive market. (just using the English language) My point was that housing (like van goghs) is obviously not a competitive market - you brought up the comparison not me.

Obviously if you want to use different terminology, we can. We will just get the same conclusions using different words

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I have no doubt you would go right round in circles to avoid the obvious. Using common sense, a market in which there just isn't definitionaly any competition is not a competitive market. Also a market in which people are prevented from supplying, that is also not a competitive market. (just using the English language) My point was that housing (like van goghs) is obviously not a competitive market - you brought up the comparison not me.

Obviously if you want to use different terminology, we can. We will just get the same conclusions using different words

Term competitive market Definition: A market with a large number of buyers and a large number of sellers, such that no single buyer or seller is able to influence the price or any other aspect of the market -- no one has any market control. A competitive market achieves efficiency in the use of our scarce resources if there are no market failures present.

Feel free to PM me.

Edited by libspero

HOLA443
HOLA444

You spend less than £46 p.w. on food , must be a grim diet.

You still not mentioned anything about toilet stuff, do you use soap, deoderant, shampoo, bog roll , razors, bleach , washing powder, washing up liquid, oven cleaner. Please don't tell me that comes out of the £46 p.w. food bill.

Not everyone can walk or bike to work , so looking at transport cost. In the last ten years the minimum fare on London buses has gone up from 30p to £1.50 x five.

Still as i said do it again now for a year and come back and tell us how you got on.

I spend about £15-20 a week on food, toiletries and household cleaning stuff. When I had a garden I spent less as I grew vegetables; now I don't have one.

I think my diet is pretty good - I always cook from scratch, bake my own bread etc. I don' t eat much meat - perhaps once or twice a week depending on what's on special offer in the supermarket. Another big saving is not buying alcohol, bottles of pop etc. I make my own wine (cost about 20p a bottle) or drink tea/coffee/water.

Soap is about 16p for 3 bars from the supermarket; crystal deodorant costs £3.95 and lasts six months. Bog roll 44p for four rolls, Sainsbury. I hand-strop my razor and have used the same blade for 2 years. Sainsbury's Washing powder, about 67p, lasts about a month. Washing up liquid is about 50p a bottle I think, lasts about 3 weeks. I do all my household cleaning with bleach, vinegar and soda crystals, about £3 or 4 pounds a month.

I agree not everyone can walk to work; most could cycle if they live within 5 miles or so of their workplace.

I appreciate this lifestyle isn't for everyone, but I've been living it for 10 years or so with no problems.

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

I spend about £15-20 a week on food, toiletries and household cleaning stuff. When I had a garden I spent less as I grew vegetables; now I don't have one.

I think my diet is pretty good - I always cook from scratch, bake my own bread etc. I don' t eat much meat - perhaps once or twice a week depending on what's on special offer in the supermarket. Another big saving is not buying alcohol, bottles of pop etc. I make my own wine (cost about 20p a bottle) or drink tea/coffee/water.

Soap is about 16p for 3 bars from the supermarket; crystal deodorant costs £3.95 and lasts six months. Bog roll 44p for four rolls, Sainsbury. I hand-strop my razor and have used the same blade for 2 years. Sainsbury's Washing powder, about 67p, lasts about a month. Washing up liquid is about 50p a bottle I think, lasts about 3 weeks. I do all my household cleaning with bleach, vinegar and soda crystals, about £3 or 4 pounds a month.

I agree not everyone can walk to work; most could cycle if they live within 5 miles or so of their workplace.

I appreciate this lifestyle isn't for everyone, but I've been living it for 10 years or so with no problems.

Yup. You'd do well to produce a small booklet based on this. Many people don't have the imagination or impetus to engineer their lifestyles to save money.

What is £1 a day? This is a slightly rhetorical question and a good place to start.

HOLA446

Yup. You'd do well to produce a small booklet based on this. Many people don't have the imagination or impetus to engineer their lifestyles to save money.

What is £1 a day? This is a slightly rhetorical question and a good place to start.

A booklet is a good idea - I did think about starting a website but to be honest, it's all on Moneysaving Expert anyway. The problem is not how to save money - that's easy - it's the change of mentality required. What they call 'lightbulb moments' on MSE. Amy Dacyzn, author of the Tightwad Gazette (the book that got me started on money saving) calls it 'creative deprivation' - ie, the idea that having less makes you more creative and better at solving problems, and that you are generally happier with less. This attitude can't easily be taught in a pamphlet or website, because materialism, consumerism and keeping up with the Joneses is so ingrained in our culture. It wasn't until I lived for short while in a third world country that I really grasped this.