House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom Boom

What Can You Rent For £50 In Your Area?

What single room accommodation can you rent in your area for £50 a week? I'd says that amount is the upper limit of what a single person on minimum wage could afford to pay to rent somewhere; the question is what if anything is available at this price point.

What single room accommodation can you rent in your area for £50 a week? I'd says that amount is the upper limit of what a single person on minimum wage could afford to pay to rent somewhere; the question is what if anything is available at this price point.
Nah your wrong the maximum upper limit for min wage accommodation is 150 quid a week if bills are included, (as that leaves you £200 quid a month for food and trinkets after your after tax wage).

Minimum Wage equates to £942.50, or £810.63 a month after tax.... There are 4 and a quarter weeks in a month so your rent of 50 quid a month is approx £210 a month. However when you rent a room ALL bills are included so your only essential remaining expense is food, 200 quid a month is more than enough:

So you end up with £400 quid spare to spend on what you want, Min wage workers can afford much more than 50 quid a month, and most choose to pay more, I know some people on min wage who are spending double that on renting a room, but imho most spend around here spend about £75 quid a week for a good room. Even if you spend double 100 quid a week on renting a room, you have £180 quid spare for non essentials... I guess it depends if you want to save. I used to rent a room at 60 quid a month, spent 200 quid a month on food, 200 quid a month on other stuff and saved the best part of a grand a month....

The cheapest I could find in worcester was a flatshare for £55 quid a week (but its not all bills included), imho MOST are about 75quid/80 quid a week

http://www.spareroom...ce_low_to_high&

Edited by AteMoose

Guest Noodle

lol , can you link me to some examples please Doodle?

No links, we're not that advanced, although you may find some on an Issan property website if such a thing indeed exists.

No links, we're not that advanced, although you may find some on an Issan property website if such a thing indeed exists.

awww, have you not heard the expression, "link or it didnt happen?" :lol:

Minimum Wage equates to £942.50, or £810.63 a month after tax.... There are 4 and a quarter weeks in a month so your rent of 50 quid a month is approx £210 a month. However when you rent a room ALL bills are included so your only essential remaining expense is food, 200 quid a month is more than enough:

So you end up with £400 quid spare to spend on what you want, Min wage workers can afford much more than 50 quid a month, and most choose to pay more, I know some people on min wage who are spending double that on renting a room, but imho most spend around here spend about £75 quid a week for a good room. Even if you spend double 100 quid a week on renting a room, you have £180 quid spare for non essentials... I guess it depends if you want to save. I used to rent a room at 60 quid a month, spent 200 quid a month on food, 200 quid a month on other stuff and saved the best part of a grand a month....

The cheapest I could find in worcester was a flatshare for £55 quid a week (but its not all bills included), imho MOST are about 75quid/80 quid a week

http://www.spareroom...ce_low_to_high&

So by way of proving your point you proffer accommodation that fails to do so. So add bills and council tax and you're looking at more like £100. You also seem to disregard any other costs like those associated with travelling to work, clothes, and so on.

Edited by Boom Boom

Guest Noodle

awww, have you not heard the expression, "link or it didnt happen?" :lol:

Well this 2200 sq.ft well appointed country villa might rent for £100 a month . . . maybe.

So by way of proving your point you proffer accommodation that fails to do so. So add bills and council tax and you're looking at more like £100.

No my point is most people pay 75quid a week all in like this one (300 quid a month, all bills ensuite includes broadband)

http://www.spareroom...%3D34631611%26&

That leaves you will £550 a month for food and anything else, you can live 'well'.. Top mobile contract, 90 quid a week on going out, and loads of food, if you spend it all your spending more than most HPCers who spend less on consumer stuff and put most of there salaries into savings accounts...

Edited by AteMoose

A lock-up garage.

Apart from that, absolutely nothing.

So by way of proving your point you proffer accommodation that fails to do so. So add bills and council tax and you're looking at more like £100. You also seem to disregard any other costs like those associated with travelling to work, clothes, and so on.

Naa.. there's a benefit for that.

Council Tax Benefit

Edited by libspero

No my point is most people pay 75quid a week all in like this one (300 quid a month, all bills ensuite includes broadband)

http://www.spareroom...%3D34631611%26&

That leaves you will £550 a month for food and anything else, you can live 'well'..  Top mobile contract, 90 quid a week on going out, and loads of food, if you spend it all your spending more than most HPCers who spend less on consumer stuff and put most of there salaries into savings accounts...

Right, but these aren't generally stable accommodation situations. I spent about a year renting rooms in houses and moved 5 times in that period. It's not a home, it's little more than dossing in a spare room.

My area , probley one of the cheapest areas in the south east , Grays Essex , for £50 p.w. the only thing you could get is staying at home with family.

lol , can you link me to some examples please Doodle?

my daughter rents a room from me...Im lucky to see £20 a month...dont know what the wife gets off her....apart from a basket of washing.

I work out NMW pays £870 p/m after tax.

(5.93*40*52 = £12,334 P/A. After tax = £10,435 p/a)

Rent £400

Food £200

Bills: £150

Fun £120

Sounds pretty do-able to me :unsure:

I work out NMW pays £870 p/m after tax.

(5.93*40*52 = £12,334 P/A. After tax = £10,435 p/a)

Rent £400

Food £200

Bills: £150

Fun £120

Sounds pretty do-able to me :unsure:

Food £200 a month , = £46 per week , may be just .

But then you have left out any travel expenses, clothes, toiletry stuff ( remeber how much just one anti-perspirant cost's ) , if the person needs glasses there are eye tests and glasses to pay for , they might become ill and need to have a prescription,

Don't think there would be anything left in the fun account, even if there was £27 a week don't buy much fun , have you been out latley ?

Goes whitout saying that there would never be a car or a holiday .

Maybe in stead of telling us that it sounds pretty do -able you could do it for a year and then come back and tell us how you got on.

But then you have left out any travel expenses, clothes, toiletry stuff ( remeber how much just one anti-perspirant cost's ) , if the person needs glasses there are eye tests and glasses to pay for , they might become ill and need to have a prescription,

Don't think there would be anything left in the fun account, even if there was £27 a week don't buy much fun , have you been out lately ?

Maybe in stead of telling us that it sounds pretty do -able you could do it for a year and then come back and tell us how you got on.

As a student 10 years ago I lived on £50 a week after accommodation costs. I didn't drive, I biked/walked. I spent about £30 a week on food and £20 a week on drinks/entertainment.

Yes living costs have increased since then, but I have allowed for that, and in fact think I've been generous in my figures. £400 p/m for a HMO? £200 p/m for food? (I spend less than that now!). Bills £150? in a shared house?

I'm not trying to say it's a fantastic quality of living, but I do think it's do-able.

As a student 10 years ago I lived on £50 a week after accommodation costs. I didn't drive, I biked/walked. I spent about £30 a week on food and £20 a week on drinks/entertainment.

Yes living costs have increased since then, but I have allowed for that, and in fact think I've been generous in my figures. £400 p/m for a HMO? £200 p/m for food? (I spend less than that now!). Bills £150? in a shared house?

I'm not trying to say it's a fantastic quality of living, but I do think it's do-able.

Sleeping in a cardboard box is doable.

Don't think there would be anything left in the fun account, even if there was £27 a week don't buy much fun , have you been out latley ?

Agree with both, it's more than I've lived on and it's absolutely fine. For a while. Grated with me after about 6 months IIRC when the requirement to keep to a budget became unpleasantly dominant.

You spend less than £46 p.w. on food , must be a grim diet.

You still not mentioned anything about toilet stuff, do you use soap, deoderant, shampoo, bog roll , razors, bleach , washing powder, washing up liquid, oven cleaner. Please don't tell me that comes out of the £46 p.w. food bill.

Not everyone can walk or bike to work , so looking at transport cost. In the last ten years the minimum fare on London buses has gone up from 30p to £1.50 x five.

Still as i said do it again now for a year and come back and tell us how you got on.