House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Windows 7 Audio Bug?

Anyone experienced an audio stutter problem in Windows 7? I've searched around the net and it seems to be a common problem with no obvious solution.

I bought a new PC, which came with W7. I expected something great, at least better than Vista anyway. And it *is* great, except for this "small detail".

If this is as widespread as it seems, I find it staggering that Microsoft would just go ahead and release it before a fix?

If I don't find a solution, then I'll have to load XP on it. If I load another operating system over it, will I have to reload all the music and media files on the hard drive also? What a drag.....

Anyone experienced an audio stutter problem in Windows 7?

How frequently does it occur? Will it happen say several times in a single track?

Yes it can occur several times, and it's intermittent too. So sometimes it's there and sometimes not. With an edirol usb soundcard it's a stutter, and with the realtek soundcard it's a drawn out digital glitch.

Anyone experienced an audio stutter problem in Windows 7? I've searched around the net and it seems to be a common problem with no obvious solution.

I bought a new PC, which came with W7. I expected something great, at least better than Vista anyway. And it *is* great, except for this "small detail".

If this is as widespread as it seems, I find it staggering that Microsoft would just go ahead and release it before a fix?

If I don't find a solution, then I'll have to load XP on it. If I load another operating system over it, will I have to reload all the music and media files on the hard drive also? What a drag.....

I've got Win7 64 bit I've not had this problem at all. I do have graphics glitches where the aero interface crashes and defaults to std. but I'm not bothered about that.

If you load XP you will have to reload every single program (the music, data file copy etc. is easy enough to do though) You could do a dual boot though, so you keep Win 7, maybe in the hope in the future a fix is found and load XP onto the same disk. You'll need a boot loader, so you can select which OS to load at startup, the boot.ini file might be enough and you'll need partitioning software (a linux boot cd with parted will do for free) to resize your hard disk and create some free space for an xp partition.

Yes I get audio glitches, very occasional jumps and pauses, I think it is more to do with driver interface changes and incorrectly written drivers...

I've just reloaded the realtek drivers, so we'll see.

But my finger is poised to reload XP.....

Doing a complete overhaul won't actually take that long. This PC has an Icore5, and it whizzes through most processing.

I'm not familiar with Linux. I just googled and that's the first I read about it.

Can I run existing programs for Windows on Linux?

I'm not familiar with Linux. I just googled and that's the first I read about it.

No but it will tell you if it's a full-on hardware issue or software one regarding your music.

For your Win 7 - how much RAM do you have, how many programs are running in the background (including all the extras in the system tray - right hand bottom corner) etc.

Try closing all but the essentials and then see if you get it.

Also install and run this and then listen to music - it should help identify the cause - I'd guess something is hogging the CPU momentarily causing these symptoms.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

I've just had my new laptop with windows 7 and I'm having problems watching youtube.

It keeps making this awful grinding noise and stuttering. It's streaming fine but I can't find the source of this noise. Not sure if it's the same thing but it's doing my head in.

Oh another thing to check is the Sound Properties, if you find sound in control panel, or just type sound into the start bar there are all sorts of advanced properties. I found turning off enhancements off and tweaking with the settings helped me a bit, as before I don't think it is a win7 problem, it is a drivers issue. It will get better over the next couple of years as drivers get better...

I'd guess something is hogging the CPU momentarily causing these symptoms.

The "process" view of Task Manager, ordered by CPU usage, can help identify such hogs -- the rogue process will momentarily pop to the top of the list whenever the symptom occurs.

I've got Win7 64 bit I've not had this problem at all. I do have graphics glitches where the aero interface crashes and defaults to std. but I'm not bothered about that.

If you load XP you will have to reload every single program (the music, data file copy etc. is easy enough to do though) You could do a dual boot though, so you keep Win 7, maybe in the hope in the future a fix is found and load XP onto the same disk. You'll need a boot loader, so you can select which OS to load at startup, the boot.ini file might be enough and you'll need partitioning software (a linux boot cd with parted will do for free) to resize your hard disk and create some free space for an xp partition.

You could run something like Ubuntu or Windows server as the host OS and boot Win 7 as a virtual machine using Virtual Box or similar software.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, on Dell hardware and no sound problems at all.

Upon further investigation, it does seem linked to other programs running. If I open another program I get several stutters in audio. This really surprises me since an Icore5 should be able to handle my light usage.

I remembered reading some time ago that Norton had a habit of slowing a PC down. I don't use Norton, but I do have Avast. So I disabled Avast, and I've seen a significant improvement.

It's great to make a little progress, but I expect more from a new PC..... <_<

Upon further investigation, it does seem linked to other programs running. If I open another program I get several stutters in audio. This really surprises me since an Icore5 should be able to handle my light usage.

I remembered reading some time ago that Norton had a habit of slowing a PC down. I don't use Norton, but I do have Avast. So I disabled Avast, and I've seen a significant improvement.

I know how you feel. I purchased a laptop about 2 weeks ago with I7 after much deliberation and some help on here and I'm still having the problem. I'm running Mcafee so no link there.

Easily. Under Wine or in VMware or Virtualbox. I use VMware on Kubuntu to run an application that's heavily dependent on IE, and it works perfectly. Most observers think I am actually running Windows. Funny thing is, Windows refuses to run in the proper resolution on this hardware, but the "virtual" Windoze is just fine.

However, there are also sound issues with Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I'm not sure if they've all been resolved, but my experience has been everything worked, out of the box.

Yes an Icore5 should be ok. How much RAM do you have? (hole down the windows key and press the "Pause Break" key and this will be on the popup).

I know how you feel. I purchased a laptop about 2 weeks ago with I7 after much deliberation and some help on here and I'm still having the problem. I'm running Mcafee so no link there.

Mcafee is utter tripe. You don't need a virus when you have that thing running. I actually have to disable it when I get to work every morning, else it locks up a bunch of files and prevents Visual Studio from running properly...

To the original problem - are the problems occurring mainly when listening to music? I've advise against using iTunes (especially if you have a large library). iTunes is a terrible hog and should only be used for loading up your iPod.

You could also have a look through your system event log to see if there are any hardware/drive issues occurring.

Yes an Icore5 should be ok. How much RAM do you have? (hole down the windows key and press the "Pause Break" key and this will be on the popup).

6Gb ram.

It's a mean machine.

Where is the media being played from?

Streaming from the web?

Streaming from a HomeServer?

File on a disk?

DVD?

USB?

All of the above!

Oh another thing to check is the Sound Properties, if you find sound in control panel, or just type sound into the start bar there are all sorts of advanced properties. I found turning off enhancements off and tweaking with the settings helped me a bit, as before I don't think it is a win7 problem, it is a drivers issue. It will get better over the next couple of years as drivers get better..

I updated the realtek drivers, and increased the CPU performance (at the price of power usage). Doing this didn't help a lot though. I also disabled Windows Defender, which helped a little.

Funny thing is, when I run Cubase there are no audio issues. Cubase is an audio editor/sequencer. I am guessing Cubase is a decent program without issues.

6Gb ram.

It's a mean machine.

I was envisaging you saying it had 1g or something. That's a respectable amount of RAM, although too much can slow stuff down as well.

Next is get task manager running - ordered on CPU usage - and wait to catch the offending program when the blips occur as someone posted above.

I bought a new laptop last month and since I still had 5 months left of my Norton subscription I installed it again. It does indeed slow things down and a friend recommended I use Kaspersky. Barclays are offering Kaspersky for free if you bank online with them so I'm thinking of opening an account with them just for that but what's the opinon on Kaspersky as suitable anti-virus software?

ATA disk devices used to fall back (following several read failures) from DMA to PIO mode sometimes, causing this kind of problem. No idea if the same can happen with SATA, which presumably would be in any new system nowadays. But if there are ATA drives involved, it might be worth checking their transfer mode in Device Manager.