House Price Crash Forum

Men Are From Mars ... And We Should Give Up Trying To Impress Women

Sledgehead

HOLA441

Gwad bless 'um and vive la difference.

Telegraph readers will appreciate this most cos they'll have access to the layout of today's page 3 story, but I'll do my best to recount this incident that illustrates how singularly pointless it is trying to impress women with fast cars.

Essentially, page 3 is given over to a story about how the Qatari's have turned Knightsbride into a supercar race track. Apparently the street soutside Harrods are now lined with Bugattis, Ferraris and other supercar marques. Here's a pic used in the story:

harrods_1687630c.jpg

There are a couple of other pics - a yellow ferrari and a Bugatti. Essentially page 3 looks like it was sub-edited by Jezzer Clarkson, all apart that is for one photo. Set alongside these supercar pictures is one of a Knightsbrigde resident who objects to having been effectively cast as an extra in a high-end remake of The Fast & The Furious. She is Lady Sorrell, and here is the picture:

article-0-032961F2000005DC-351_233x334.jpg

So now you have the picture of what page 3 looks like, you might well be able to guess the kind of reaction I might get when showing said page to people.

How's about "ooh, isn't that beautiful". Seems about right? Now if you are a male, like me, you might assume that comment refered to the splash of finely tuned automotive delights bathing your retinas. Think again. The comment came from a woman, and she was refering to the handbag. My reaction: "What handbag?"

An anedotal yes, but this woman wasn't even that "girlie". Take note males!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

When I worked in W2, a Bugatti with an arabic number plate parked on the street at a meter outside my office window. He didn't stop to feed the meter. Along comes a traffic warden, walks round the car and gets out his notebook. Looks at the number plate. Scratches his head and scurries away. How I wish my number plate was in arabic! :D

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

You can't buy class.

Dubai springs to mind.

Of course, Russian crooks, banksters, Qataris and footballers may have a different view.

Latest chav done good/chav got credit card chariot of choice round here, usually in bright red or other lurid colour.

bmw-x6-by-hamann-2_460x0w.jpg

It actually wouldnt look out of place on a 1985 miami vice episode.

HOLA449

When I worked in W2, a Bugatti with an arabic number plate parked on the street at a meter outside my office window. He didn't stop to feed the meter. Along comes a traffic warden, walks round the car and gets out his notebook. Looks at the number plate. Scratches his head and scurries away. How I wish my number plate was in arabic! :D

Tickets issued to foreign plates get binned anyway. That's why some wardens fabricate tickets (to make up the numbers) using bogus foreign plates.

Archived