House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Why Cuts + Job Losses Won't Affect House Prices

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300995/Revealed-100-000-households-benefits-higher-average-wage.html

Britain's benefits bonanza has been laid bare as it emerged 100,000 households rake in more than the average wage in welfare every year.

They collect £30,899 before tax, while many workers can only aspire to an average wage of £23,422.

Meanwhile 50,000 of those households are entitled to more than £500 a week - which adds up to more than £26,000 a year.

Officials at the Department for Work and Pensions highlighted the figures after the coalition pledged an overhaul of the welfare system to make work pay.

Employment Minister Chris Grayling said: 'Yet again we see more evidence for why reform is so desperately needed.

'When thousands of people are earning more on benefits than hard working families struggling to get by there must be something wrong and I'm shocked that this was allowed to happen.'

He insisted the Government's paper published last week - 21st Century Welfare - would start changing the current system, which 'punishes those who do the right thing by going out to work'.

Mr Grayling added: 'We will make work pay so that the system is fair - fair for those who need a hand up and fair for the taxpayer who pays for it.'

The shocking scale of welfare dependency built up under Labour has seen almost 700,000 families pocketing more than £15,000 a year in benefits and nearly two million children living in households where not a single person works, the highest level in Europe.

At least 12million working-age households receive benefits each week, including tax credits and Child Benefit, at a cost of around £85billion per year.

Edited by exiges

you still get tax credits up to about £50K if you have enough kids IIRC.

Having a couple of kids and no money is like finding a Golden Wonka Ticket in the UK.

I know quite a few families who have the two kids, made up disabilities, council house, no need to work deal.

If you know this to be true then please report them.

Call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline (NFBH) on 0800 854 440. Lines are open between 7.00 am and 11.00 pm, seven days a week. It is free and confidential.

Help remove the abuse of our money

Or just call the SS....or tell their kids to report to their political officer.

FFS...these departments are RIFE with thousands of highly valuable public sector safe jobsters....let them do their work....they ARE cracking down on disabled claims the MSM repeatedly claims.

If the average wage is £23,422 that makes the average house price to earnings 7.22 not the 4.6 that nationwide claims it is. I'd like to know where nationwide get the £30k+ average wage from? Even the ONS puts it around £25k iirc

If the average wage is £23,422 that makes the average house price to earnings 7.22 not the 4.6 that nationwide claims it is. I'd like to know where nationwide get the £30k+ average wage from? Even the ONS puts it around £25k iirc

several possibilities.

1. Liar loans

2. Joint incomes

3. the people whom they deal with only have high salaries.....the pont Hamish McTavish was banging on about.

4. BS.

100,000 households rake in...£30,899 before tax...

Meanwhile 50,000 of those households are entitled to... more than £26,000 a year.

Um, mathematical illiteracy anybody?

Guest absolutezero

Um, mathematical illiteracy anybody?

This is the Daily Mail you're talking about.

If you know this to be true then please report them.

Call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline (NFBH) on 0800 854 440. Lines are open between 7.00 am and 11.00 pm, seven days a week. It is free and confidential.

Help remove the abuse of our money

Yes, but it's not really a citizens job to get the payment for benefits right - there should no way to cheat in the first place. The rules need to be tightened up properly in the first place - especially incapacity and disability living allowance which are thoroughly abused and in many cases entirely unnecessary. Duncan Smith is right that ONE form should be filled in for the whole entitlement and any changes in circs should be reported and the amount adjusted. Even weekly changes should be possible with computers doing the calcs, especially needed for self employed people who cannot cope with the way it works now so just sign on and give up.

They use average male full time earnings because, well, everyone with a job has got to be a full-time man. Even if she's called Sue.

Or just call the SS....or tell their kids to report to their political officer.

FFS...these departments are RIFE with thousands of highly valuable public sector safe jobsters....let them do their work....they ARE cracking down on disabled claims the MSM repeatedly claims.

My sister does this for a living for HMRC and takes great pleasure in catching people who abuse the system.

Her little section - a team of a less than of dozen, all on sub £20k salaries BTW - were recently commended for bringing in over £15m in ceased fraudulent payments in a year. If there were more of them, they could do more. These are not the non-job wastrels that need to be cut, arguably the team needs expansion.

However unless we want a world where there really is a paid-on-commission Stasi out there taking notes on the habits of every house in every street, the main source of information on benefit fraud is disgruntled workmates, tenants, even relatives. Following up these leads exactly what their job is ... along with other leads provided by a team whose job is doing data mining on cross-departmental data sets (but as you'd expect, the people who do this are paid rather more) - a waste of money as well I suppose?

The kind of naive, totally uninformed rant makes my blood boil. Yes there is government waste but a lot of good work gets done too and people who don't acknowledge this are merely demonstrating their complete ignorance of the subject.

Well if the Daily Mail says it , it must be true. They wouldn't make up such a reactionary headline, it really wouldn't be like them, I can only conclude that they have done all their homework and the headline is fully refelective of the whole picture and not just a tried and tested formula for stirring up reactionaries.....what ? ...eh ? ...oh...

Its their own approvals. If the average house sold at one million and only 2 people on £500k could afford a mortgage, their house price to wage affordability ration would be 2. Seriously.

I always wondered what "Fair Society" meant.

Its a tough one. For instance I think its fair that people get what they work to earn. Others who dont have my earning power probably feel its fair they have several kids and I pay for them.

Glow Ball ism is great!

All our 'leaders' work for the glow ballists. 99.9% will continue to get poorer whilst 0.1% grow unspeakably rich. It will only stop when we stop these free capital flows and global wage/social arbitrage. Public sector/private sector is just a miserable little sideshow for the hard of thinking.

lloyd-blankfein.jpg

Its a tough one. For instance I think its fair that people get what they work to earn. Others who dont have my earning power probably feel its fair they have several kids and I pay for them.

Paid for shaggin. Seems fair.

Glow Ball ism is great!

All our 'leaders' work for the glow ballists. 99.9% will continue to get poorer whilst 0.1% grow unspeakably rich. It will only stop when we stop these free capital flows and global wage/social arbitrage. Public sector/private sector is just a miserable little sideshow for the hard of thinking.

lloyd-blankfein.jpg

Yep Jimmy Goldsmith had it down pat years ago.

Guest sillybear2

Glow Ball ism is great!

lloyd-blankfein.jpg

Which goes to show, money can't buy you everything :-

Roland+Rat+Superstar.jpg