House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubai

Google Earth

Any IT people know why google earth makes my hard disc go nuts, so bad the cooling fan kicks in whenever it's up and running? Do I need to change any settings / options?Also, is anyone having to wait for ages when clicking a link from a google find? My browser seems to hang for ages, but if I just delete the link and retype the url, it gets there straight away..... Bottom line.... is google losing it?

All the time you are connected to google earth, they are busy profiling your life and pinpointing your exact location, this takes a lot of processing power and makes your machine run hot, google also uses your machine to process other peoples information as it is more efficient for them, a little bit like the seti experiment. *

*Apparently.

dont usually have any problems with it

and imo its the best free thing ever to come from internet land

the flight simulator in tools is just brilliant

Haven't noticed any change here.

Which browser are you using and have you installed any plugins for 'safe browsing', maybe part of an anti virus program? They work by loading the link before you click on it, and scanning it to see if there is anything dodgy. I imagine Google Maps makes lots of small loads for each tile, so it'll send that sort of thing mad. Would also explain why clicking a link is slow.

Any IT people know why google earth makes my hard disc go nuts, so bad the cooling fan kicks in whenever it's up and running? Do I need to change any settings / options?Also, is anyone having to wait for ages when clicking a link from a google find? My browser seems to hang for ages, but if I just delete the link and retype the url, it gets there straight away..... Bottom line.... is google losing it?

Sounds like the CPU is trying to compensate for your graphics card. Therefore it needs extra cooling.

Try switching between OpenGL and DirectX in the GE settings to enable hardware acceleration.

But I still think that Microsoft's Bing Maps are better, especially the Bird's Eye View. Check it out.

Guest Noodle

Sounds like the CPU is trying to compensate for your graphics card. Therefore it needs extra cooling.

Try switching between OpenGL and DirectX in the GE settings to enable hardware acceleration.

But I still think that Microsoft's Bing Maps are better, especially the Bird's Eye View. Check it out.

I often get an nv4_dll problem which crashes this PC a dozen times a day.

It's the Windows XP video driver for the nvidia graphics card. Known corruption problem.

Have you tried holding down ctrl when you click the link so the page opens in a new tab (or shift to open it in a new instance of IE?), assuming you have IE 7 or greater?

Hard disk churning usually a sign of low memory do you have enough? Sounds like might be a cheapo graphics card issue and PC World type cooling solution. Blew out a computer of all it's dust with high pressure aircan (I think they're realitvely expensive) and it stopped whirring the fan when doing intensive calculations, dust impeding it.

edit: there's a whole multi-page thread on here somewhere about high pressure air dusters for PC's, pro's/cons and Christ knows what else for 15 or so pages!