House Price Crash Forum
samsmoot

925 And Sterling Silver On Ebay - Worth Buying As Investment?

Due to imminent financial collapse I thought I might buy a bit of silver to put by.

Have made a few small purchases on ebay for what is purported to be 925 silver - cheap rings, bravelets, chains etc costing from 30c - $1.99. Am awaiting delivery of the items so will then be able to check the weight. My thinking is that it's a cheap way to buy silver at around the spot/scrap price, if the items come to the weights I expect them to. Am I on the right track here if I can get these pieces at the price I need to, and will they be easily saleable here in the UK as scrap, for that is the way they would likely be sold in the future? As the Chinese seem to have a lot of the stuff for sale on ebay, won't there be occassions when some silver sells for a bit less than it usually does? Especially with the low starting bids at 1c - I'm guessing the stuff which loses a bit of money is made up for by the stuff which makes a bit more money.

And I have seen 150 gram pieces described as 'Chinese Old Sterling Silver Bullion' - please search the term on ebay to see these items - what's the catch here? Similar ones have sold for a third of what even the scrap value should be, so looks well dodgy - but the dealer feedback looks good so is this a genuine bargain and would this 'bullion' be worth investing in?

Any input would be appreciated - I'm pretty ignorant on silver but am keen to buy some as a long term investment - any alternative strategy would be welcomed.

Cheers.

You must be kidding, Ebay? I will make you a profile with a 100% good feedback right now. It does not matter where the catch is, you'll feel it when you buy there...

Due to imminent financial collapse I thought I might buy a bit of silver to put by.

Have made a few small purchases on ebay for what is purported to be 925 silver - cheap rings, bravelets, chains etc costing from 30c - $1.99. Am awaiting delivery of the items so will then be able to check the weight. My thinking is that it's a cheap way to buy silver at around the spot/scrap price, if the items come to the weights I expect them to. Am I on the right track here if I can get these pieces at the price I need to, and will they be easily saleable here in the UK as scrap, for that is the way they would likely be sold in the future? As the Chinese seem to have a lot of the stuff for sale on ebay, won't there be occassions when some silver sells for a bit less than it usually does? Especially with the low starting bids at 1c - I'm guessing the stuff which loses a bit of money is made up for by the stuff which makes a bit more money.

And I have seen 150 gram pieces described as 'Chinese Old Sterling Silver Bullion' - please search the term on ebay to see these items - what's the catch here? Similar ones have sold for a third of what even the scrap value should be, so looks well dodgy - but the dealer feedback looks good so is this a genuine bargain and would this 'bullion' be worth investing in?

Any input would be appreciated - I'm pretty ignorant on silver but am keen to buy some as a long term investment - any alternative strategy would be welcomed.

Cheers.

Cheers.

No! Jewellery may not be worth the spot price to a dealer. Either buy silver coins from a proper source (which would always be worth more than spot) or go to www.goldmoney.com, open an account and buy some silver and or gold bullion all stored for you and saleable at any time. Otherwise solid ingots, but where will you keep them?

Cheers.

I've gone off buying anything except .999 pure bars or coins for silver because these can easily be used for industrial purposes if there is that type of demand in the future. Just get the cheapest .999 bars or coins you can find is my advice.

P.S. I wouldn't buy anything from China on eBay - I've heard far too many stories about rip offs from there.

No! Jewellery may not be worth the spot price to a dealer. Either buy silver coins from a proper source (which would always be worth more than spot) or go to www.goldmoney.com, open an account and buy some silver and or gold bullion all stored for you and saleable at any time. Otherwise solid ingots, but where will you keep them?

A few kilo ingots will fit in a fire/water proof box/safe that can be hidden where ever you see fit. This is the best option. Problem with goldmoney is that it is rumoured they might not have the silver/gold to back up their holdings and also the govt. can decree at will that all gold/silver bullion must be handed in. In that scenario you'll never get it out of goldmoney, it'll be locked down straight away.

Buy physical bullion from a reputable dealer and store it yourself in a secure location/s (not at a bank or with a third party - retain 100% control at all times if you value your wealth). If it's probably hidden and you don't talk about it to anyone the chances of having it stolen are next to zero.

Buy silver coins VAT free from here:

http://www.silvercoinsbullion.co.uk/

EDIT: Also with goldmoney you'll never get away with avoiding CGT, but physical can just be taken and sold abroad somewhere suitable or sold on the black market to avoid CGT.

Oh yeah, try to buy bullion in smaller quantities that don't necessitate handing over your passport details for registration with customs (over 10k I think).

Edited by General Congreve

Thanks for all the advice - certainly agree about keeping physical possession of your precious metals. Can I tell you how I have got on with my ebay buying, and ask for more advice please?

OK, so I have bought a few 'Sterling 925' silver items of jewellery from China

Thing is, it seems too cheap to be true. Looking at scrap silver prices, it's about 30p a gram for 925 silver, yet the items I have had cost less, much less, than this. My better half knows about silver, and is 100% sure that it is the real thing. I, howver, am sceptical, in that I probably won't be satisfied until someone has paid me cold hard cash for some of what I have bought.

There are no hallmarks on the items, just a '925' mark. Is it the case that no scrap silver dealer would be interested due to there being no hallmark? I guess I'd find out if I sent some off for scrap value, or maybe took it to Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, which is probably what I'll have to do.

When something sounds too good to be true it's best to proceed with caution, but if there is a genuine opportunity there for a cheap investment, I'd like to take it. Difficult to lose out, in a way, as the jewellery is certainly worth the money as jewellery, saleable as scrap or not.

I'll send an item to someone for looking at if they need me to.

Many thanks.

Thanks for all the advice - certainly agree about keeping physical possession of your precious metals. Can I tell you how I have got on with my ebay buying, and ask for more advice please?

OK, so I have bought a few 'Sterling 925' silver items of jewellery from China

Thing is, it seems too cheap to be true. Looking at scrap silver prices, it's about 30p a gram for 925 silver, yet the items I have had cost less, much less, than this. My better half knows about silver, and is 100% sure that it is the real thing. I, howver, am sceptical, in that I probably won't be satisfied until someone has paid me cold hard cash for some of what I have bought.

There are no hallmarks on the items, just a '925' mark. Is it the case that no scrap silver dealer would be interested due to there being no hallmark? I guess I'd find out if I sent some off for scrap value, or maybe took it to Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, which is probably what I'll have to do.

When something sounds too good to be true it's best to proceed with caution, but if there is a genuine opportunity there for a cheap investment, I'd like to take it. Difficult to lose out, in a way, as the jewellery is certainly worth the money as jewellery, saleable as scrap or not.

I'll send an item to someone for looking at if they need me to.

Many thanks.

first rule, do not buy from china.

do not buy anything called tibetan silver or claimed to be antique silver.

tibettan silver is a mix of tin and something i forget, either way ther is no real silver. Chinese are not allowed to sell antiques outside of china so chinese antique silver is all fake.

if i were u i would drop that chit on feebay. it isnt silver. hubby may think he knows what it looks like but unless u test it u dont know and i will take odds it is fake.

Agreed about China. And take caution with ebay too.

If you want .925 this is a good deal, just marginally over spot and VAT free from a highly reputable dealer:

http://www.weightoncoin.co.uk/coins/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=47

marginally? that is 20% over spot.

If you are willing to pay 20% over spot and think it's a good price then mail me, I have all the silver you can ever want, lol

marginally? that is 20% over spot.

If you are willing to pay 20% over spot and think it's a good price then mail me, I have all the silver you can ever want, lol

Rubbish :D

I got one of these and it had over 9 troy oz of silver. Seven of the coins were 33g, the other three were smaller crowns about 28g as described. If I got the same again it would be less than 3% over spot (at current prices)

Anybody who is thing of this can simply contact Weighton to get an idea of what the silver content would be. It could turn out to be a very good deal. It was for me :D

Rubbish :D

I got one of these and it had over 9 troy oz of silver. Seven of the coins were 33g, the other three were smaller crowns about 28g as described. If I got the same again it would be less than 3% over spot (at current prices)

Anybody who is thing of this can simply contact Weighton to get an idea of what the silver content would be. It could turn out to be a very good deal. It was for me :D

it did say coins mostly 28g and 925 so is actually 15% over spot.

That said, I logged on to say that all things considered and depending on what actually arrives this probably isn't a bad deal.

So....I ordered some myself this afternoon :lol: will let you know what turns up.

28g * 10 = 280g

92.5% of 280g = 259g of pure silver

259 / 31.1 = 8.3ozt

8.3 * £12.84 (spot) = £106.5 worth of silver

difference between £106.5 worth of silver and purchase price of £122.5 is 15%.

Edited by richyc

it did say coins mostly 28g and 925 so is actually 15% over spot.

That said, I logged on to say that all things considered and depending on what actually arrives this probably isn't a bad deal.

So....I ordered some myself this afternoon :lol: will let you know what turns up.

28g * 10 = 280g

92.5% of 280g = 259g of pure silver

259 / 31.1 = 8.3ozt

8.3 * £12.84 (spot) = £106.5 worth of silver

difference between £106.5 worth of silver and purchase price of £122.5 is 15%.

They arrived today, 10 silver crowns from various places (New zealand, fiji, samoa, alderney etc) all 925 and 27-28g. Each coin was sealed in a plastic capsule and BUNC.

Not a bad deal.

They arrived today, 10 silver crowns from various places (New zealand, fiji, samoa, alderney etc) all 925 and 27-28g. Each coin was sealed in a plastic capsule and BUNC.

Not a bad deal.

I bought some a few years back and then eventually sold on to a dealer, as I decided only to keep pure silver bullion. When the guy tested them with the hand held machine, one of the coins was found to be pure silver.

I bought some a few years back and then eventually sold on to a dealer, as I decided only to keep pure silver bullion. When the guy tested them with the hand held machine, one of the coins was found to be pure silver.

yeah, not sure what I am to do with these. They cant go with the bullion which, like you, I wanted most of and they are too nice to go with the scrap pre 47/20 stuff. I dont like the fact that none of the coins have the word silver anywhere on them and that you wouldnt know unless you looked them up.

You sure your dealers tester was working right? sounds more like a duff tester than a rarity of a pure silver coin with no fineness or weight stamped on it.

yeah, not sure what I am to do with these. They cant go with the bullion which, like you, I wanted most of and they are too nice to go with the scrap pre 47/20 stuff. I dont like the fact that none of the coins have the word silver anywhere on them and that you wouldnt know unless you looked them up.

You sure your dealers tester was working right? sounds more like a duff tester than a rarity of a pure silver coin with no fineness or weight stamped on it.

Hi, when I gave the guy all the coins he started testing with the capsules still on and the first couple of coins he tested , he told me were around 88% silver. I said, that`s impressive if the machine measures through plastic. He told me it did and carried on.

I asked him to test one I had taken out of a capsule, along with others, and they started registering around 92/3%. Then one of them was 100%.

I dont know how long he had been testing through capsules like that.... :blink:

The machine did seem to be consistent at any rate.

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

Hi, when I gave the guy all the coins he started testing with the capsules still on and the first couple of coins he tested , he told me were around 88% silver. I said, that`s impressive if the machine measures through plastic. He told me it did and carried on.

I asked him to test one I had taken out of a capsule, along with others, and they started registering around 92/3%. Then one of them was 100%.

Only way you can properly test is by measuring the specific gravity in water or dissolving in Nitric acid and extracting the silver .

No hand held tester will tell you , capsule or not .

lmao, probably forever and he was probably annoyed that you caught him out.

Only way you can properly test is by measuring the specific gravity in water or dissolving in Nitric acid and extracting the silver .

No hand held tester will tell you , capsule or not .

specific gravity to test for purity is a rough guide that can tell the difference between .800 and ,925 but no more accurate than that.

The acid test is probably the most accurate method especially with experience but even that does not give a specific value.

Dissolving in nitric acid is not a test but the way to refine the silver that is how you can extract the pure silver from the other alloys but it would totally destroy the coin.....as in disolve it :lol:

The only way to get a true purity content for silver is to send it for assay. That being expensive and impractical leaves an electronic tester or acid, both of which work although imo acid is best.

"specific gravity to test for purity is a rough guide that can tell the difference between .800 and ,925 but no more accurate than that."

Lol . It works for me . You ever tried it ?

"Dissolving in nitric acid is not a test but the way to refine the silver that is how you can extract the pure silver from the other alloys but it would totally destroy the coin.....as in disolve it"

Sorry , thought the OP was after silver and not a silver coin collection .

"The only way to get a true purity content for silver is to send it for assay. That being expensive and impractical leaves an electronic tester or acid, both of which work although imo acid is best.

An electronic tester , for silver ? Tell me more . I've never seen one . Apart from 0.01 scales , a glass of water and very fine fishing line .

The acid test would only test the surface (which could be plated) . Therefore a file is needed to get to the core . This will ruin the coin and , as you say above "but even that does not give a specific value" .

"specific gravity to test for purity is a rough guide that can tell the difference between .800 and ,925 but no more accurate than that."

Lol . It works for me . You ever tried it ?

Yes, is why I know the methods limitations, like the problems that arise from not knowing the composition of mixed alloys. It works but an acid test is easier and more accurate imo

"The only way to get a true purity content for silver is to send it for assay. That being expensive and impractical leaves an electronic tester or acid, both of which work although imo acid is best.

An electronic tester , for silver ? Tell me more . I've never seen one . Apart from 0.01 scales , a glass of water and very fine fishing line .

There are plenty of modern testers available, I have only seen a couple in action and dont have one myself but they do work.

The acid test would only test the surface (which could be plated) . Therefore a file is needed to get to the core . This will ruin the coin and , as you say above "but even that does not give a specific value" .

A small scratch on the edge of the coin or between the reeds is sufficient so long as you are sure that it is deep enough to have gone through a possible layer of plating, no need to ruin a coin and if done right would only be found by someone who knows it is there. No specific value but experience can tell if it is better than sterling or not.

calculating specific gravity is difficult when trying to determine the purity of say .800 or .500 or anywhere between .500 and .925 tbh because you do not know what the composition of mixed alloys are so the variables can leave large differences between possibilities. I dont like there being such a window of possibility due to variables so prefer acid as it is pretty much there with no arguement.

There are plenty of modern testers available, I have only seen a couple in action and dont have one myself but they do work.

I must be really crap at Googling :) .

The only thing I've found is a Niton gun and they seem to be around $32,000 to buy .

I've found a handheld electric/acid gold tester but it doesn't work with silver apparently .

Think I'll stick with specific gravity . So long as I get around 10.2 or higher I'm happy .

Most of the stuff I bought is UK hallmarked .

I did once buy a Mexican 1 ounce silver coin . All stamped with the purity and weight .

It could be picked up by a magnet :-)))

Great fun .

I must be really crap at Googling :) .

The only thing I've found is a Niton gun and they seem to be around $32,000 to buy .

I've found a handheld electric/acid gold tester but it doesn't work with silver apparently .

Think I'll stick with specific gravity . So long as I get around 10.2 or higher I'm happy .

Most of the stuff I bought is UK hallmarked .

hmmm, seems i am crap with google aswell, can only find 1. Would be interested to know what it was that was used in the past post. Local coin guy has an electronic tester that he uses on silver, next time I am there I will find out what it is.

http://www.goldtester.com/

out of interest, you know anywhere to get rid of .500 for a reasonable price?

Edited by richyc