fatsam

HOLA441
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Thanks Huw - very enlightening - so why are we 'behind' Germany - or are things not that rosy over there either?

Lots of reasons IMO, different work-ethics, management/labour issues, Britain's decision to spend resources "punching above her weight", maybe even something as fundamental as the voting systems and the kinds of governments they return.

Germany isn't problem-free by any means. I reckon that both the Germans and the British could do with being a bit more like one another :)

HOLA445

Lots of reasons IMO, different work-ethics, management/labour issues, Britain's decision to spend resources "punching above her weight", maybe even something as fundamental as the voting systems and the kinds of governments they return.

Germany isn't problem-free by any means. I reckon that both the Germans and the British could do with being a bit more like one another :)

The Common Agricultural Policy helped massively to hamstring Britain and destroy the once superb innovation - as did deliberate US policy.

HOLA446

Simple question.

Do you think the uk still needs Unions ?

I was born and raised in a very millitant family and ultimately i grew up believing in alot of what unions stood for, i have family members who are good friends with bob crow and having met the bloke on numerous occasions i do find alot of what is printed about him to be a little sickening.

However i also see that there are serious gaps between what your average public sector worker is getting vs your average private sector worker, in terms of wages, pensions, conditions etc.

But then i see the corruption around me, the bankers taking the piss, the MP's milking the system, and you find yourself almost in a limbo, personally i feel that unions are still needed, but i feel that the private sector needs some form of protection also.

It's not an easy answer to come up with but how do you create a fair society that promotes the good, like ambition, but also does'nt promote greed and materialism. ?

Anyway, just a random thought for my first thread :)

The private sector has all the protection it needs, including owning all the important government. I disagree with the closed shop (US readers take note that this is not the norm) but I think everyone should be a member of a relevant trades union. No use whining about what happens to you if you never stood up for yourself.

HOLA447
Guest absolutezero

The private sector has all the protection it needs, including owning all the important government. I disagree with the closed shop (US readers take note that this is not the norm) but I think everyone should be a member of a relevant trades union. No use whining about what happens to you if you never stood up for yourself.

What about if you're bullet, bomb and world proof like most people on here?

HOLA448

Yes - the powers that be are too powerful and would have us for slaves to get more profit if they could.

+1.

unions are definitely neede to curb the excesses of corporatism.

but corporations also need decent government,who don't try and strangle them with excessive regulations.

too much form-filling and pointless beaurocracy is not a benign environment to run a business and create wealth(and also jobs)

some parts like minimum wage,and some industrial dispute law need to be retained,but I fail to see the necessity of a months paternity leave.....the bloke didn't have the kid so probably doesn't need quite as much rest as his missus.

HOLA449
Guest Noodle

+1.

unions are definitely neede to curb the excesses of corporatism.

but corporations also need decent government,who don't try and strangle them with excessive regulations.

too much form-filling and pointless beaurocracy is not a benign environment to run a business and create wealth(and also jobs)

some parts like minimum wage,and some industrial dispute law need to be retained,but I fail to see the necessity of a months paternity leave.....the bloke didn't have the kid so probably doesn't need quite as much rest as his missus.

:blink:

Archived