House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fatsam

Union

Simple question.

Do you think the uk still needs Unions ?

I was born and raised in a very millitant family and ultimately i grew up believing in alot of what unions stood for, i have family members who are good friends with bob crow and having met the bloke on numerous occasions i do find alot of what is printed about him to be a little sickening.

However i also see that there are serious gaps between what your average public sector worker is getting vs your average private sector worker, in terms of wages, pensions, conditions etc.

But then i see the corruption around me, the bankers taking the piss, the MP's milking the system, and you find yourself almost in a limbo, personally i feel that unions are still needed, but i feel that the private sector needs some form of protection also.

It's not an easy answer to come up with but how do you create a fair society that promotes the good, like ambition, but also does'nt promote greed and materialism. ?

Anyway, just a random thought for my first thread :)

what we need is a limit on all individuals wealth

when I see /hear of billions starving or Bangladeshi

sweatshop workers earning 12p/hr so M/S etc

can make massive profits for their elite few

it makes me puke that centuries after they claimed

to have outlawed slavery they in reality have done no such thing

I have been in 2 unions in my time

the fire brigade union and the RMT

both were good money down the drain

all they seem to do is give a platform for extreme left wingers

to play Stalin

Far too subversive!!!

BBC, earlier today: Essential services strike ban 'may need to be option'

The government is being urged to consider banning strikes in essential public services, as a response to the expected action against coalition cuts.

Employers group, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, says ministers should consider tightening laws on strike ballots.

Can't have people doing things like trying to protect their jobs, no siree.

Guest absolutezero

Simple question.

Do you think the uk still needs Unions ?

I was born and raised in a very millitant family and ultimately i grew up believing in alot of what unions stood for, i have family members who are good friends with bob crow and having met the bloke on numerous occasions i do find alot of what is printed about him to be a little sickening.

However i also see that there are serious gaps between what your average public sector worker is getting vs your average private sector worker, in terms of wages, pensions, conditions etc.

But then i see the corruption around me, the bankers taking the piss, the MP's milking the system, and you find yourself almost in a limbo, personally i feel that unions are still needed, but i feel that the private sector needs some form of protection also.

It's not an easy answer to come up with but how do you create a fair society that promotes the good, like ambition, but also does'nt promote greed and materialism. ?

Anyway, just a random thought for my first thread :)

Yes.

All the contracts and procedures are written in the employers' favour.

You need to be sure you're not on your own with a possible disagreement with your employer. They have access to money and expensive lawyers. You'd likely be ruined if you tried the same on your own.

Also, ask yourself why the public sector still have reasonably decent working conditions whereas the private sector's get ever worse.

Something to do with lack of union membership in the private sector I would wager.

Also, ask yourself why the public sector still have reasonably decent working conditions whereas the private sector's get ever worse.

Something to do with lack of union membership in the private sector I would wager.

Something to do with labour trying to buy votes for the last 13 years.

All coming to an end at a local authority near you soon

I belonged to a Union once. Never again.

When it came to the crunch I have never met a more self serving bunch, looking after their own interests solely, than the Union reps.

nuff said

Guest absolutezero

All coming to an end at a local authority near you soon

Doubt it very much.

Guest Noodle

Far too subversive!!!

BBC, earlier today: Essential services strike ban 'may need to be option'

Can't have people doing things like trying to protect their jobs, no siree.

How can they ban a mass walk out?

It's a nonsense.

Yes. You need unions, but they need to be sensible. I militant general foreman I worked with 10 years ago, he used to talk about the strikes in the 70's. He said in the end it was ridiculous, walking out over loo roll, they got sick of it and just wanted to get back to work.

I've known union leaders, one was a close relative. I didn't think much of these men. They were missing something upstairs.

Good, balanced, sensible union leaders . . . fine, perfect.

I would urge everyone to be a member of their trade union. It takes a lot of hassle out of your working life and affords some employment protection.

Bob Crow's an interesting character

Reading the press you'd expect a complete twit, but some years ago I had a correspondence with him at work on a technical issue to do with railways, and found him intelligent and thoughtful.

Guest absolutezero

Bob Crow's an interesting character

Reading the press you'd expect a complete twit, but some years ago I had a correspondence with him at work on a technical issue to do with railways, and found him intelligent and thoughtful.

He was on Question Time a few weeks ago and was completely the opposite of what I expected.

I was expecting some foaming at the mouth left winger and, as you say, a bit of a twit.

But no. He was good.

Doubt it very much.

I agree that you need some collective representation for the workforce to make negotiations. However , if we take one of the more left wing unions mentioned by an earlier poster, the Fire Brigades Union. Over the last ten years the FBU have lost most of the conditions of service enjoyed by its members during the last fifty years. The fire service continues to be downgraded and jobs lost regardless of input of the FBU. They try to hold back the tide against change but are unsuccessful on every front. This is a service that still enjoys some public support. If this can happen to the fire service with one of the strongest unions I hold out little. hope for the rest of the public sector. The last labour government wanted revenge on the fire service because they came out on the first national strike in the winter of 1977 and started the discontent that put labour into the wilderness for many many years. Destroying the british fire service and turning it into a public works department was one of the few labour achievments by John Prescott.

Guest absolutezero

I agree that you need some collective representation for the workforce to make negotiations. However , if we take one of the more left wing unions mentioned by an earlier poster, the Fire Brigades Union. Over the last ten years the FBU have lost most of the conditions of service enjoyed by its members during the last fifty years. The fire service continues to be downgraded and jobs lost regardless of input of the FBU. They try to hold back the tide against change but are unsuccessful on every front. This is a service that still enjoys some public support. If this can happen to the fire service with one of the strongest unions I hold out little. hope for the rest of the public sector. The last labour government wanted revenge on the fire service because they came out on the first national strike in the winter of 1977 and started the discontent that put labour into the wilderness for many many years. Destroying the british fire service and turning it into a public works department was one of the few labour achievments by John Prescott.

Are firefighters allowed to strike?

Unions are outdated, the leadership is pretty corrupt and does things not in the interest of its members.

What we need is Injin world....

EVERYBODY to be armed with an AK47 2000 rounds of ammo and lots of rocket propelled grenades. Thus people can do things about gross in equalities.

For instance the bankers and government mugged us...

Today we can do nothing they laugh at us, I mean we can't even have a lynching.

In Injin world we go and TAKE APART the government and string them up every 2-3 years from the lamp posts. The city of London would be laid to Siege and Canary wharf would be a warzone.

Always self destructive in the end so the yes or no answer posed in the OP is not relevant.

It is simply a matter or time.

He was on Question Time a few weeks ago and was completely the opposite of what I expected.

I was expecting some foaming at the mouth left winger and, as you say, a bit of a twit.

But no. He was good.

Are you being quite genuine?

Fair play if you are, but I ask because I thought he was astonishingly awful.

From my perspective: He could barely string a coherent sentence together and was spouting complete and utter nonsense, in fact beyond nonsense - complete and utter lies. He claimed that Britain had a debt of 'just 150 billion more than we earned', that all of the economic problems were entirely the fault of banks, that the economic situation was comparable to that just after the war, that no spending cuts were required etc etc.

I recall being dumbfounded that people paid to follow someone that so blatantly lied and was so hopelessly out of his depth politically. Then I realised that is the entire point of the Unions and Labour - they are successful because they terrify people with lies and then promise them a life of being taken care of, regardless of the impact on the rest of society, they pray on the ultra selfish.

He represents everything that is wrong with many of the large Unions. Militant, aggressive, money grabbing, power crazed, self interested, anti-social morons.

He represents everything that is wrong with many of the large Unions. Militant, aggressive, money grabbing, power crazed, self interested, anti-social morons.

always refreshing to read an unbiased viewpoint.

always refreshing to read an unbiased viewpoint.

How am I biased?

Tell me what information you have about me that allows you to draw that conclusion. Is it the not agreeing with you on this topic trait I have?

Of course, you are not biased disagreeing with me, right?

Or perhaps he represents a part of society that havn't thrown in the towel, he is not a hard man to approach, you could meet him and make your own mind up.

I have met him.

Militant, aggressive, money grabbing, power crazed, self interested, anti-social morons.

So, what is wrong with being millitant ? Agressive when the timing is right ?, as for the other anti social traits you are labelling him with, i guess we just disagree.

Militant, aggressive, money grabbing, power crazed, self interested, anti-social morons.

So, what is wrong with being millitant ? Agressive when the timing is right ?, as for the other anti social traits you are labelling him with, i guess we just disagree.

When militancy and aggression are mixed with power, influence and the other traits I believe are widely demonstrated within Unions (and that you don't, or is it just Crow you disagree with me on?) - they become a very serious issue.

I'm not against Unions. I'm against groups that claim to represent one set of values but demonstrate another. I'm also against groups that 'recruit' on a platform of fear-mongering lies. Admittedly he Unions are very much not alone in doing this.