House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
luckygirl

Should I Buy Or Am I Mad Even To Contemplate?

Hi - we want more space!! Now have two kids & associated 'stuff'. Eldest starting school next Sept.

Have found a house - 80's, almost an acre, needs complete modernisation and a bit of enlarging (great potential) but otherwise very tidy. Asking price £595. We can go to around 90% of that. South Cambs. Been on market 4 months. One offer at 570 but relied on a house sale that didn't happen/drop in their asking price.

Would be ideal place to bring up our little ones. All other places not totally mediocre are 650+.

One major spanner - have just discovered a proposal 'under consultation' for a number of new Traveller sites in county, with one being a few hundred m down the lane!!!!!!! However, apparently much new info which would hopefully get it rejected but Council dragging heels on decisions due to new Govnt planning guidelines expected - but doesn't take away from need for new sites. Would make lane wider and more traffic - but - will it ever happen???

Am in torment.

Would we be utterly barking to commit to this?

Be gentle with me!! I need advice not scorn/sarcasm/raising of handbags.

ta.

much love,

luckygirl

Yes, thanks for that. Most useful. Am not utter halfwit.

The financial side is covered - it is the weighing up of risk of planning proposal ever going ahead and likelihood of value plummeting am asking input.

The financial side is covered - it is the weighing up of risk of planning proposal ever going ahead and likelihood of value plummeting am asking input.

Sadly you're in the wrong place for an honest answer. Most people are very polarised regarding this sort of thing.

Look, there are 2 scenarios. Either there will be no, or very small HPI for many years and that won't matter to you! OR the current modest falls in price will strengthen as cuts come in/USA economy implodes/Eurozone suffers double dip of some sort/possible market turmoil. That will affect you! Also, the planning issue - very dangerous - look for something else or do a loft conversion where you are as a stop gap?.

Edited by plummet expert

Look, there are 2 scenarios.

Indeed

But either way, 595 for 1 acre and a house that needs complete modernisation and an extension doesn't sound the best deal on the planet.

Planning thing a real p****r. Have been waiting to move for at least 6 years. We could do great things with this house - current one limited. Could go into loft but would need to put staircase in current third single bedroom so would still be left with a 3bed semi where the local school is s**t. And you know when you just don't want to throw away money on a house you no longer want to live in??

Am fuming at last minute discovery of potential crappola scenario but glad I found out now rather than after buying. Wouldn't that have been a peach!

The price for the aforementioned package is actually pretty competitive in this area. Herts & Cambridge most expensive places on earth. We have to be here because of jobs.

Am also fecked off with having any savings at all and seeing them dwindle pathetically in the crappy banking system.

I JUST WANT TO GET ON WITH MY LIFE!!!!!!! AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thanks for listening. Most therapeutic.

You could maybe try asking in the East Anglia sub-forum, there is a long 'Cambridge' thread there and someone might know more about the traveller situation & the area around where you are looking to buy. They are also more likely to understand how stupidly expensive the houses around there are (although ~£500K for 1 acres does sound a bit high, tbh).

If the traveller site goes ahead it will seriously depress house prices locally. Many people will simply never consider living within 1/4 mile of a camp for fear of thieving, hygiene and noise problems. The fact there a camp is being planned nearby should already be depressing the value of the house. Does the current price reflect this? From what you have written it doesn't appear so, so a 90% offer on the asking ought to get some traction.

It seems to me you are thinking of gambling over half a million pounds on the expectation that the traveller camp doesn't get agreed. However, you should be aware that travellers have been known to move in anyway and set up camp. Because councils have been slow to comply with the requirement to provide sufficient sites, it becomes far more difficult to evict and the decision over which site to select becomes made for them. Also if the travellers buy the land first it becomes near impossible to evict.

I wouldn't do it, but it's your gamble. Good luck whatever you decide.

Me again - thanks for the replies. Food for thought.

The site is only under consultation so not actually under planning as yet - a number of other sites being looked at also. So, unlikely to come up on local searches and probably vendors not obliged to mention it - I only came across it by accident.

The land is CC land, currently being farmed. Apparently the consultation process has brought up a lot of points which would make a site unsuitable.

Gambling - hmm - I know what you mean but does it have to be the end of the world if it did happen?

SO frustrated. Nothing else on the market of interest at all, and I've scoured a large area over the past six months. I guess we'll have to make our own decision. Was hoping someone here would make it for us :o/

Am so torn - I may back off and see if i's still on the market after the council get around to reviewing - whenever that is. Was supposed to be dealt with in July but got bumped off the agenda. Is now 'on a back-burner' GRRRR!

There will be other folks pondering the same issues about this house. The one willing to take a risk will get it.

How big is the projected travellers site? Does anyone know?

Anyway, am cheery, because this gem has popped up in my search area:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27206404.html

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did literally fall off my chair.

You'll need to move fast to get that; at that price it'll be snapped up by a canny investor soon as you can say Jack Robinson.

Are there many more bargains like that to be had round your way ?

Rest easy - I have a plan. And am willing to walk away (sobbing) if I don't get the answers I seek.

Wow! Very nice

Good luck to you.

I wish you all the best to find your ideal home. Anything that makes you happy, go for it! :)

All the best

Rest easy - I have a plan. And am willing to walk away (sobbing) if I don't get the answers I seek.

Might just offer on that one myself.

Another utter bargain for you discerning punters - very handy for the A414 of a morning too:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27220102.html

Thankyou for your attention & kind words. Bless you all.

Comedy genius

Thank you :)

I live in a place i reckon is pretty-overpriced, and for the price of that house I could buy a 6-bed, 5-reception room place with 11 acres, no neighbours and fantastic views.

Or i suppose I could buy a scratty 3-bed bugalug in Herts ;)

Oooh - sounds luvverly.

Sometimes - well, more often recently, let's face it - have thought of just quitting rat race/9-5 corporate rubbish and taking substantial savings & living somewhere like that........would be great for our girls.

I mean - who needs it! The whole world's gone mad. Just need to convince hubby that it's a viable option........

Hi - we want more space!! Now have two kids & associated 'stuff'. Eldest starting school next Sept.

Have found a house - 80's, almost an acre, needs complete modernisation and a bit of enlarging (great potential) but otherwise very tidy. Asking price £595. We can go to around 90% of that. South Cambs. Been on market 4 months. One offer at 570 but relied on a house sale that didn't happen/drop in their asking price.

Would be ideal place to bring up our little ones. All other places not totally mediocre are 650+.

One major spanner - have just discovered a proposal 'under consultation' for a number of new Traveller sites in county, with one being a few hundred m down the lane!!!!!!! However, apparently much new info which would hopefully get it rejected but Council dragging heels on decisions due to new Govnt planning guidelines expected - but doesn't take away from need for new sites. Would make lane wider and more traffic - but - will it ever happen???

Am in torment.

Would we be utterly barking to commit to this?

Be gentle with me!! I need advice not scorn/sarcasm/raising of handbags.

ta.

much love,

luckygirl

Hey luckygirl

sorry you sound like you love this house but you have to ask yourself do you want to live next door to travellers? Yes they may not get permission but equally they may - if you feel you can live with it then go for it.

confused.com!!!

Hi - this was my thread and have an update and a question.

The house was bought. Mysteriously, completed on the same day as the council published that they were no longer interested in the site.

Also - the details of the sale are not available from Land Reg info readily available. In what instances are transactions/sales not in the public domain?

Anyone shed any light?

TIA x

The financial side is covered

really? impressive spending power for merely working a 9-5 grind

Edited by Si1

How big is the projected travellers site? Does anyone know?

:lol: 30 Caravans often turn into 130 caravans with some brick walls and permanant chalet style buildings.