House Price Crash Forum
getdoon_weebobby

What £250K Buys You In Germany

That seems to be an auction guide price. Is it likely to go for that? Are some areas of Germany much cheaper than others? I expect Berlin isn't cheap.

I mean, we don't all need a house in the SE. Look what £250k will get you in Devon, a new 4-bed detached:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-26890786.html

Or that grade II listed cottage near Exeter in another thread yeaterday.

Actually do you know what the really sad thing is? When I did that RightMove search I just randomly picked a location and pulled the first dump I saw off the first page of listings for £250k.

In other countries you have to thumb through a dozen or more pages before you find total shit for quarter of a million quid, but here in Blighty it's everywhere you look with one of the sheeple ready and willing to buy it...

Germany is great value for money... and yes that includes Berlin!

If anyone's interested I can put you in touch with a firm selling 2 bed flats in reasonable areas of Berlin with 10% yield for about £30,000.

I know we all hate BTLers, but in Berlin you give your tenants multi-year contracts and they bring their own kitchens, do all their own repairs etc.

Do you have a link? I tried to PM you but it wouldn't work. I think that 100 posts might be the requirement to use it.

Do you have a link? I tried to PM you but it wouldn't work. I think that 100 posts might be the requirement to use it.

PM me too . I've looked into berlin in the past. you can get a one bed in nicest areas of charlottenberg for £40k or if ur purely after maximum yield probably in Marzahn for £10k ( if u can find a tenant!)

I hear conflicting things about the cost of a house in Germany. Would somebody like to put it to bed? Is it expensive or cheap compared to here?

As an engineer I would be interested to hear this as my pay prospects over there are much better. I say this, but I do enjoy living here next to life-long friends etc...

Mr Flibble - good post!

Actually do you know what the really sad thing is? When I did that RightMove search I just randomly picked a location and pulled the first dump I saw off the first page of listings for £250k.

In other countries you have to thumb through a dozen or more pages before you find total shit for quarter of a million quid, but here in Blighty it's everywhere you look with one of the sheeple ready and willing to buy it...

Oh sweet Jesus. I thought such delusional prices were only found in London. :unsure:

Have a look at Sweden, house prices there were dirt cheap when last I checked.

I was seriously pondering moving there, but no speako the lingo. :(

Guest Skinty

My parents bought a retirement home in the Harz, the northern most range of hills on the border between the old east and west Germany. Cost approx 150K in Euros a few years ago, although that price has dropped since the economic troubles started. But then so has the exchange rate so they could break even if they sold it. They are trying to but no one is buying anymore. I can't remember how many rooms it has. It has three stories consisting of four 'flats' and a few extra rooms and has been used as a guest house in the past. That's not to mention the roof you can stand up-right in and which has its own window, the double garage and the garden.

I've considered moving in myself in which case we'd use the two bedroom flat upstairs and use a couple of downstairs rooms for storage. But then there is the issue of getting an income and what we'd actually do there.

yeah they had a big banking crash

anyone know any sites for sweden?

www.immobilienscout24.de

for germany

still poor value vs. einfamilenhaus

I totally agree. The funny thing is it has just been reduced from about £270k. :D

I just like the style of house.

i don't know but if housing is cheap in these other countries don't they just find some other way to take your money off you ? I mean does the average German have any more spare euros than the the average Brit after living expenses and taxes ?

No need to speako de lingo :D

My brother married a Finn-Swede, she speaks perfect English good enough infact to teach in a UK High school. They are all taught english from an early age over there and find it quite weird that the majority of this country can only speak one language and can't do that very well.

ps I was made up for my brother when he told me he was dating a swede ... I imagined a tall leggy blonde, turns out there was more finn in her than swede and she resembled a Russian shot putter :D

A friend of mine just bought a massive house near Frankfurt for about £200k. About 20 rooms and five outbuildings. About a 40 minute drive from Frankfurt. A country place but has better broadband connectivity than I do here 40 miles from London.

Germans spend their money on a few nicely made things instead of spunking it up the wall on a load of garish imports. And they save money as well.

A country that has a lot going for it. Strangely given our belief that Germans are rather rule bound and controlling, there is far more of an emphasis on personal responsibility there and much less compensation culture to boot.

All about location isn't it? We are ripped off in this country - not just houses. What do you do? A pint of stella in our village pub is £3.30 (outrageous) but I'm still going to sink about 6....err.....starting in about 15 mins.

Saying that I just bought 2 tickets to Villa v Everton and it was £43 (adult and junior). Much cheaper than last season.

Guest Noodle

A friend of mine just bought a massive house near Frankfurt for about £200k. About 20 rooms and five outbuildings. About a 40 minute drive from Frankfurt. A country place but has better broadband connectivity than I do here 40 miles from London.

Germans spend their money on a few nicely made things instead of spunking it up the wall on a load of garish imports. And they save money as well.

A country that has a lot going for it. Strangely given our belief that Germans are rather rule bound and controlling, there is far more of an emphasis on personal responsibility there and much less compensation culture to boot.

Good post. I worked for a German firm for 3 years. In Germany they didn't have the mass of H&S paperwork and nonsense, mostly common sense, didn't work 14 hours a day like we did, only 9 and just seemed much less mental overall.

I liked them a lot.

In a country that creates physical wealth, things are cheaper.

I hear conflicting things about the cost of a house in Germany. Would somebody like to put it to bed? Is it expensive or cheap compared to here?

As an engineer I would be interested to hear this as my pay prospects over there are much better. I say this, but I do enjoy living here next to life-long friends etc...

Mr Flibble - good post!

I bought a flat in Berlin at the end of last year for just over 100000 euros, the kind of thing that would probably be the best part of half a million in London, so I would estimate Berlin to be about a fifth the price of London. Berlin is the cheapest of the major cities over here; places like Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich would likely be 50 percent or twice as expensive as Berlin, reflecting the struggling economy at the moment.