House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

The Anatomy Of Lurking

Who has lurked the longest on HPC?

What satisfactions/drawbacks did it entail?

What finally made you 'come out'?

Guest theboltonfury

I'm not entirely sure that this question will get all that many salient replies!

Me lurk you long time

Guest Skinty

I lurked for about a year and a half. Was mainly just looking at the front page while I was at work and so didn't bother with the forum much.

I think a few posts might have irked me enough to de-lurkify and also dissatisfaction with my standards of living at the time.

I lurked for about a year and a half. Was mainly just looking at the front page while I was at work and so didn't bother with the forum much.

I think a few posts might have irked me enough to de-lurkify and also dissatisfaction with my standards of living at the time.

A year and a half! A year and a half! ladeez 'n chennulmen! Do I hear more? Any advance on a year and a half? At eighteen months! At eighteen months! With the lady at the back!

Going once...!

Do I hear more???

About a year IIRC. Read from work only as my home PC had blow up.

It all seemed a bit tedious and cliquey initially but eventually I got to see past the bores - who usually start a lot of threads and so appear to dominate the board - and saw there were some interesting people active there.

I suspect it still appears that way to newbies - didn't fatsam say he was a bit frightened? - tbh a few more welcoming messages wouldn't go amiss. I try to make the odd reply on the newbie thread and did say hello to "Dirty Eddie" because I got the reference in the name, but he seems to have disappeared.

I would say it is even more cliquey these days which must put newbies off.

Guest theboltonfury

About a year IIRC. Read from work only as my home PC had blow up.

It all seemed a bit tedious and cliquey initially but eventually I got to see past the bores - who usually start a lot of threads and so appear to dominate the board - and saw there were some interesting people active there.

I suspect it still appears that way to newbies - didn't fatsam say he was a bit frightened? - tbh a few more welcoming messages wouldn't go amiss. I try to make the odd reply on the newbie thread and did say hello to "Dirty Eddie" because I got the reference in the name, but he seems to have disappeared.

I would say it is even more cliquey these days which must put newbies off.

It is on the main forum. They seem to talk in some depressive code.

I started lurking in about 2005/6 a few months after purchasing a slave box with my brother, i think once he explained negative equity to me i found myself here and have been lurking ever since.

Had an issue logging on for a while so never got around to posting.

didn't fatsam say he was a bit frightened?

I work in the public sector, i'm a home owner (debt slave), reason enough to be terrified on here i think. :lol:

Some of the stuff i have read on here over the years though has been very helpfull to me, anytime i ever thought of buying a nice car or some other form of luxury that i really didn't need, then i would normally look on HPC and think "what the fu** was i thinking".

I must admit there are quite a few posts on the wider financial issues that i stuggle to comprehend however i've gained quite a good amount of information from this site over the years, even if it has had slightly detrimental effects to my personality.

I work in the public sector, i'm a home owner (debt slave), reason enough to be terrified on here i think. :lol:

Some of the stuff i have read on here over the years though has been very helpfull to me, anytime i ever thought of buying a nice car or some other form of luxury that i really didn't need, then i would normally look on HPC and think "what the fu** was i thinking".

I must admit there are quite a few posts on the wider financial issues that i stuggle to comprehend however i've gained quite a good amount of information from this site over the years, even if it has had slightly detrimental effects to my personality.

It can give you a superiority complex*; all this talk of sheeple and mewing idiots on here is spot on but I hope people don't say this to friends or colleagues who are in that position.

*As do most fora on the net, they're often a mutual admiration society "aren't we clever / rich / hard / good-looking".

Guest Noodle

I did from about 2005. I managed to sign up, not this account, but couldn't understand how to post. Took me a couple of years to figure that out.

It can give you a superiority complex*; all this talk of sheeple and mewing idiots on here is spot on but I hope people don't say this to friends or colleagues who are in that position.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Ignorance is bliss", i must admit before i visited this site, my views on things were very different, not that thinking is a bad thing, however it has had me questioning certain things about myself.

As for being saying things like that to friends, i couldn't ever do that, i try to offer any small words of advice if i think a friend is making a seriously bad financial decision but nothing more.

Guest X-QUORK

I did from about 2005. I managed to sign up, not this account, but couldn't understand how to post. Took me a couple of years to figure that out.

How long did it take you to work out international travel? :huh:

*As do most fora on the net, they're often a mutual admiration society "aren't we clever / rich / hard / good-looking".

Of course, HPC goes for the reverse snobbery angle, e.g. the "It's December 23rd and I still haven't turned on the central heating" thread last year :lol:

You're saying there should be an easier version?

I was thinking more along the lines of "Ignorance is bliss", i must admit before i visited this site, my views on things were very different, not that thinking is a bad thing, however it has had me questioning certain things about myself.

As for being saying things like that to friends, i couldn't ever do that, i try to offer any small words of advice if i think a friend is making a seriously bad financial decision but nothing more.

Best way. I usually ask something like "What's your exit strategy?"

Of course, HPC goes for the reverse snobbery angle, e.g. the "It's December 23rd and I still haven't turned on the central heating" thread last year :lol:

But I didn't!

Blast - caught me there.

Phone bid from Thailand!! At two years! At two years! Let's have the bidders, not the kidders! The buyers, not the spyers, and the bankers, not the...

At two years!!! With the man on the mobile at the Pattang Garden Center!

What am I bid??

Guest Skinty

My radiator gets switched off around December 24th.

But that's because I'm handcuffing myself to it and telling my partner "You can't make me go to your mother's again this Christmas!"

He keeps winning though. I must remember to hide the chocolate next time.

How long did it take you to work out international travel? :huh:

Time means little to godlike entities B)

Lurked for a couple of years before being brave / daft enough to sign up.

That bid is already in the room, sir...

Never lurked....if I like it I jump in and join it. ;)

No personal gossip, please. This is Christie's, not Starbucks..

I've never lurked either.

I came in about the same time as Bruno's umbrella.